Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson #1 Quality

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw this hat and my first though was how similar it looked to my favorite Boss Raw Edge. It has the same shackle curl, and the same over all style. The crown looks to be the same even though my other has a lower bash,and the brim seems to be the same width. What a find. Even though it is stamped Stetson #1 Quality it has the same sweat detail where the top is curled behind itself.The sweat is also similar in feel. This one has an additional stamp that says APPROVED SWEAT / THE FRAY/ PATEND JAN??? unfortunately I can't read the rest of it which seems to be the patend date.
The hat is very soft and I suspect it may be nutria. The ribbon and bow are also similar.
DSCN4062.jpg

DSCN4051.jpg

DSCN4059.jpg

DSCN4060.jpg

Note the reeding. It is also the same as my other.
DSCN4061.jpg

DSCN4065.jpg

DSCN4047.jpg

DSCN4048.jpg

The hat is damn near perfect. I have been waiting a long time for one like this.
Want to see something scary:eek:
DSCN4063.jpg

feltfan

So what's with the sweat? Did someone cut it that way to make it fit?
I hate to say it, but you could replace the sweat and have
it sized up pretty easy. Such a distinctive sweatband,though.

If it were nutria, my guess is Stetson would have made a
big deal of it on the sweatband. It's probably "merely" beaver!

In any event, it's a very nice hat. Rare color and nice
bow, too. A real piece of history.

DOUGLAS

Yeah, I bet some one wanted it to fit better. Since the cuts are clean I will see if the sweat can be patched from behind. At least they didn't destoy the body. If it were intact I probobly would not stretch it out but now I will and see if there is a way to save the sweat.
Great hat though.

feltfan

Outstanding hat. Glad you include pix of the reorder
number so I can contact Stetson.

So you don't think the cuts are part of the
patented sweat design? They're so even...

DOUGLAS

Dean, it is black,very black. I was pretty excited when I saw it.

Feltfan, Maybe it was a experimental sweat. The "four way" expandable sweat for your comfort.:eusa_doh:

ideaguy

One Too Many
I'm with Deanglen- that's the hat...I think that the leather shouldn't be too hard to repair, given the epoxies available, and using a tissue-thin backing, you should be able to avoid any lines showing through, and strengthen the entire
band at the same time. Great find, D

DOUGLAS

Dinerman, It was a lucky ebay find.Dispite the sliced sweat I am happy to have it.

DOUGLAS

Yeah, Dinerman it does a bit. That is a nice little story that accompanies the picture.

DOUGLAS

Baron,this hat along with three others is on it's way to Duane at the Fedora Store for some R&R. I Have tried to read the numbers but I just can't make them out. At any rate I think the hat must be from the Twenties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass