Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I’m in.

Having read this entire thread I guesstimate this guy to be a mid-50s example. It is Open Road style but not marked as such, though I have to say the crown is much boxier than any of my other ORs. The shape is more like my larger crowned homburgs than anything else (I did not find any mfg tags, but I did not dig deep under the liner, either).

The felt is soft and consistent all the way through without an instance of coarseness. It feels like a cushion against my head. It would take any crease I put to it without steam, but I have only changed the crease slightly and used steam to do so in order to keep from damaging in the slightest this impeccable felt.

The color reminds me of desert sand in Sinai but has also a very unique, marble-esque tone to it, which makes me think of the Renaissance masterpieces in stone that I grew up visiting in Italy.

The only problem with this guy is he is so utterly perfect that I know I won’t wear him as much as he deserves to be worn. Easily the best hat in my collection, hands down, this has absolutely made me see my other hats in a whole new light.

How to return to normalcy after a 7X? My palette has tasted something extraordinary.

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m in.

Having read this entire thread I guesstimate this guy to be a mid-50s example. It is Open Road style but not marked as such, though I have to say the crown is much boxier than any of my other ORs. The shape is more like my larger crowned homburgs than anything else (I did not find any mfg tags, but I did not dig deep under the liner, either).

The felt is soft and consistent all the way through without an instance of coarseness. It feels like a cushion against my head. It would take any crease I put to it without steam, but I have only changed the crease slightly and used steam to do so in order to keep from damaging in the slightest this impeccable felt.

The color reminds me of desert sand in Sinai but has also a very unique, marble-esque tone to it, which makes me think of the Renaissance masterpieces in stone that I grew up visiting in Italy. This hat is just such a work of art in its own right.

The only problem with this guy is he is so utterly perfect that I know I won’t wear him as much as he deserves to be worn. Easily the best hat in my collection, hands down, and has absolutely made me see my other hats in a whole new light.

How to return to normalcy after a 7X? My palette has tasted something extraordinary.

View attachment 609042
View attachment 609043
View attachment 609044
View attachment 609045
View attachment 609046
View attachment 609047
View attachment 609048
View attachment 609049
View attachment 609050
It is a beaut. And would agree with your age assessment. You wear it well.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I’m in.

The color reminds me of desert sand in Sinai but has also a very unique, marble-esque tone to it, which makes me think of the Renaissance masterpieces in stone that I grew up visiting in Italy.

The only problem with this guy is he is so utterly perfect that I know I won’t wear him as much as he deserves to be worn. Easily the best hat in my collection, hands down, this has absolutely made me see my other hats in a whole new light.

View attachment 609042
View attachment 609043
View attachment 609044
View attachment 609045
View attachment 609046
View attachment 609047
View attachment 609048
View attachment 609049
View attachment 609050
Wear it well, Brother, as I know you will. I'm still waiting for mine.

But just for fun, could ya show us a little Oreana, or a little Gus, just because. Just a little bit. Lol

I’m in.

View attachment 609042
View attachment 609043
View attachment 609044
View attachment 609045
View attachment 609046
View attachment 609047
View attachment 609048
View attachment 609049
View attachment 609050
WOW...SUPER CLEAN!!! A real winner! As to the OR thing, they did make marked 7XCB OR's (I have one). Stetson liked their Silverbelly thin ribbon hats and had MANY models with but little variation from the 1948 OR (the OR as we now see it was introduced in 1948). Now I said the date deliberately as they made such hat models well before (going back to at least the 20's). Even their marked OR's had some variations in crown and brim (height/width) and sometimes even block (on the taller ones).

I actually have several Stetson hats so designed but not marked as an OR (mostly from the 50's like yours) and I Love them! The thin ribbon are my favorites.....I have several examples of other makers with that design too..... It is my go too hat to wear for everyday and work wear. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! GREAT GET!:)
1714742585814.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
WOW...SUPER CLEAN!!! A real winner! As to the OR thing, they did make marked 7XCB OR's (I have one). Stetson liked their Silverbelly thin ribbon hats and had MANY models with but little variation from the 1948 OR (the OR as we now see it was introduced in 1948). Now I said the date deliberately as they made such hat models well before (going back to at least the 20's). Even their marked OR's had some variations in crown and brim (height/width) and sometimes even block (on the taller ones).

I actually have several Stetson hats so designed but not marked as an OR (mostly from the 50's like yours) and I Love them! The thin ribbon are my favorites.....I have several examples of other makers with that design too..... It is my go too hat to wear for everyday and work wear. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! GREAT GET!:)
View attachment 611141
Thank you sir! I am blessed to have acquired such a pristine example, and the color still blows me away.

As I understand it, the OR went from an original wide ribbon to a 3-ply to the thin ribbon we know today. Is that the evolution you know as well?

Thank you sir! I am blessed to have acquired such a pristine example, and the color still blows me away.

As I understand it, the OR went from an original wide ribbon to a 3-ply to the thin ribbon we know today. Is that the evolution you know as well?
Introduced as a wide ribbon "air light" fedora in 1937. Produced thru the 40's then re-introduced as we know it today in 1948.

Much debate on the three ply, there are ads in private company catalogs showing a three ply with the description being the normal one, AND a normal image with a three ply description. NOTHING from Stetson showing a three ply OR.

And no one has seems to have found a three ply marked example. Personally I think it was just a listing error in the private catalogs, confused by Stetsons similar bound edge 3X & Royal Deluxe offerings of the time.

And of course the newish ones such as we have now that are different animals altogether with low pressed crowns, no wind cord and much stiffer built......I believe introduced by Stephens in the 1970's after they bought Stetson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy