Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Dune Model

Stetson Dune (stock photos):

13A40FE4-409F-4758-AC08-28815D8575DD.jpeg
1D455515-15B7-43A7-8A6E-95E8D27D430C.jpeg

One of my Resistol Tycoons:

6720BE33-096A-43B2-A506-EA1EC1199906.jpeg
DB95CE96-B965-489F-B99A-68D4F4F7123F.jpeg

CatInTheHat

New in Town
I own 2 Dunes. 1 is the older model 4x in black with the small ribbon band. The other is a newer model 4x in Pecan with a leather band. The newer model is nothing like the older one. It is not quite as thick in the brim. I found a Hat latch on line to give it a bit more roll. But the black one is my favorite hat.

dkstott

Practically Family
I had a chance to try a Dune in Acorn on in person this morning to finally resolve my intrigue about this hat.

It didn't take me long to conclude that it's just too much hat for me.

As much as I like the idea of a hat with more than a 3 inch brim, it's just not right for me. Definitely not a hat for most of my activities here in CT.

Big thanks to everyone for their input on this!!

I had a chance to try a Dune in Acorn on in person this morning to finally resolve my intrigue about this hat.

It didn't take me long to conclude that it's just too much hat for me.

As much as I like the idea of a hat with more than a 3 inch brim, it's just not right for me. Definitely not a hat for most of my activities here in CT.

Big thanks to everyone for their input on this!!

We all have our limits. I can’t go much past 4” without feeling like the hat is wearing me.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Greetings fellow loungers, been away for a while and just been looking at some hats and trying to catch up. Considering to add another all around "outdoor" hat to the rotation along with my Akubra Campdraft and was looking at the Stetson Dune, not 100% thrilled about the crown dimensions but regardless been trying to find some more history on the Dune. So far I came up with the following models
  1. Dune WF2853 late 60s ??? (White liner); can't find any info (felt quality unknown)
  2. Dune Previous model (F2160) 4x "The gun club" on black liner; part of the gun club collection
  3. Dune Current model (SFDUNEB1639) 5x "The gun club" on black liner; part of the gun club collection

Does anybody have any information at all on the model WF2853 prior to the Dune becoming part of the Stetson Gun collection (White liner) e.g. year, felt quality etc? Thanks.

Last edited:

milandro

A-List Customer
I have a Dune Gunclub 6X ( black liner) as opposed to the more common 5X

Does anyone know when they stopped making the 6X and switched to 5X (or if the do the two alongside each other)

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I think the 6X is more recent than the 5X. The 5X Beaver is, in my experience, a higher quality felt than the current 6X.
The Gun Club Line (in 2021) was making hats in 5X fur felt (presumably 100% rabbit). So, the 6X is a newer designation? Or older designation? You see the quagmire of the "X" designations...

The Gun Club Line (in 2021) was making hats in 5X fur felt (presumably 100% rabbit). So, the 6X is a newer designation? Or older designation? You see the quagmire of the "X" designations...

It’s certainly a mess. My 5X Gun Club was a “5X Beaver” and was mostly rabbit with a small and undisclosed amount of beaver in the mix. I’m not sure of the newer hats; however, I think 6X is the current lowest grade fur felt hat so…?

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
My Stetson Dune is a very functional hat. I view it as a piece of protective gear. It's been my daily walking hat, rain or shine, year 'round for the past five, going on six years. It's been sweated through countless times, it's kept me dry during brisk 30 minute walks in heavy rain. Every time I wear it, I leave it upside down with the sweat pulled out. That big downturned brim is great when the sun is low in the winter sky. For me, the hat was a good buy. I do have an Akubra Bushman, but that's my yard hat. The Dune is a lighter hat and has a softer feel, I guess you would call it a finer pounce. I'm guessing there's shellac that keeps the brim from flopping and the crown water resistant. The sweatband never shrinks, unlike the Bushman which needs to be stretched almost daily because the sweat shrinks so much. I admit I was a little self conscious about such a big hat walking the neighborhoods and local trails, but during the past five years it's been very noticeable that other people's hats have become quite a bit larger as we all seek UV protection. Today, I feel the big Dune fits right in. It's not a hat I would wear out to dinner, or even the grocery store, or take on vacation, but for simply protection from the elements it does a great job. The felt and fedora shape gives it a bit of dash amidst all of the floppy nylon and canvas covering everyone else's heads out on the mean streets of surburbia.

circle_t

New in Town
My Dune is, sadly, not as robust as yours @itsallgood but I still appreciate it. A couple walks in the rain caused the brim to curl, but I embraced it by evening it out and giving a quasi pencil curl to the whole thing. I then added a mule kick for extra Hank Williams character.
IMG_7746.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo