Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Exposition Medals

I just went through a similar situation (one end tucked under the ribbon) with a wind cord on a Brüder Böhm Melone. In my case the cord was stretched so I shortened it and made a new end loop. I have some old (early 1900s) German and Austrian hats with wind cords and they all have end loops (no buttons).

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Smiley11-1.gif

Sorry for the delay fellas.

As you can see, it goes around then under the bow to attach to the back of the button, leaving the cord completely for looks. There is a spot where it looks to be tied together, which I also photographed.

If you look at the bottom string, you can see it loop up under the bow, connecting to the button.
00315.jpg

Here is the knot.
00712.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is the end loop was untied at one point (or it came that way). You could untie the end loop knot and pull the cord through and then re-tie the knot if you want to use it (see Alan's Stetson Imperial).

Update:

I looked closer at the top photo and now I see what you mean. One cord appears to be connected to the bottom of the button. If that is the case then it doesn't appear functional.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Exactly!!

While comparing my Derby and The Avenue last night, I noticed that there seems to be minor differences in the Expo Medal Logos. I noticed it in the way the bird was placed on the liner. Are there any other variations?

00412.jpg

01013.jpg

The Avenue's liner looks like it is taped in, where the Derby's is glued in... does this aid in dating, or was this just different methods used for derbys and fedoras? Also, does anyone have any idea as to what the Gold Medal Means? Is it for Stetson winning the award at the PPIE?

The Avenue's liner looks like it is taped in, where the Derby's is glued in... does this aid in dating, or was this just different methods used for derbys and fedoras?

I have received Stetson derbies with liners that were sewn, glued and taped in place. In the days when shops were plentiful, hats were routined cleaned, reblocked and refurbished. It can be hard to tell if the attachment of the liner is factory original, or the work of a hatter who removed a liner for cleaning and reinstalled it. I have a Stetson Special with a liner taped in place. Rabbit has the identical hat with the liner sewn.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Alan. Purchased a few months back - I'm very much behind on posting. More to come..

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Dark Green

Awesome!!! Just awesome!! I have been waiting to see more detailed pics of that one. That is the earliest Stetson I have seen and its the ORIGINAL Exposition Medal. I love the extremely detailed Stetson medal crest on the liner. The flange is also very cool. I'm glad you got that one Garrett. Are there any Stetson tags under the sweatband????

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner