Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Exposition Medals

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
ta8ajusa.jpg

y9ezegud.jpg

uvy9e6ym.jpg

anugehu8.jpg

zaby4azy.jpg

e3yvusyh.jpg

5y6u4a3u.jpg

uvadazaz.jpg

It's had at least two good homes before me. I'm just keeping it company for a while. :yo:

Joao - it is mintage. (my new word for the day - thank you Garrett).

Thanks Ole... yes, this wind cord design uses a button sewn to the hat and a looped cord that would attached to a button on the clothing rather than a buttonhole. I guess the button was just there to keep the cord tidy when not in use. Stetson used this in the 1930s, I have a couple of other hats done the same way, as in this Imperial:

imperial11.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Alan. My first thought was: "Ahhh ... temp. stitches!". Second thought was: "Come on, Ole! Not in the bottom of the ribbon.". Copied it to Photoshop and gave it lots of light and saw the button, but was still not quite sure :)

Btw: Beautiful color that Imperial has.

Landman

One Too Many
...this wind cord design uses a button sewn to the hat and a looped cord that would attached to a button on the clothing rather than a buttonhole...

This type of design for a wind cord seems more versatile than the traditional design with the button on the end of the cord. With this configuration you could attach the cord to almost anything on your clothing. Whereas, if there is only a button on the end of the cord your options would be limited.

I had the same thought, Mike, though there is often a vestigial lapel button hole further north of the closest button.

There is also the design potential of a sewn button with the ribbon bow, rather nicely executed in The Avenue, I think.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1900s Exposition Medal Velour

This one is in stunning shape for its age. It was made for 'H. Halle & Bro.' Located in Memphis, TN. The felt is dense, yet takes on any crease you may put on it. The hat, in my eyes, looks great with a simple center dent with two side pinches to really bring out the period look.
The velour is black with flecks of silver, grey, and red. To top it off (and I was shocked to find), it came with the original hat box that included a few extra goodies that I also pictured for your enjoyment.
The liner is absolutely stunning. Purple surrounds the initial logo, while the liner contains a swirl pattern. The brim also has what resembles a Lords hat treatment, or a kettle curl type look.

Sadly, I was unable to locate a size sticker, as the liner covers it, or it never existed. It does contain the store tag, which is barley readable. Maybe one of you can help decipher it's fading text.

Open crown height: 5 7/8"
Brim: 2 7/8"
Ribbon: 2"
Sweatband: 2"
LOT# 5160

2e7upa6a.jpg

yqasugus.jpg

ybaqudas.jpg

y9a6a7u2.jpg

7uqu8esu.jpg

yde6aneq.jpg

mu8agyta.jpg