Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Flagship

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's mine:

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Picture4.png

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice Flagships, Gentlemen!

Gene, That's a sweet Flagship. Based on the ads, I'd say that one comes from the 40's. The ribbon looks to be the same width as the ribbon on mine. However, the liners are markedly different. My best guess is that yours is older. Can you post a picture of the sweatband?

GoneSolo, You two Flagships are outstanding. 1950 or later? Can you post pictures of the liners and sweatbands?

I can't locate a picture of Douglas' Flagship. I hope he'll have an opportunity to post some pictures here.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Carter -- Man, that is one beautiful lid. I love it! :eusa_clap I am very partial to the ribbon treatment, which is reminiscent of the Stetson Playboy -- the ends of the bow are square with the rest of the ribbon. It's a very clean look. The liner looks 50's to me -- and, if the photo shows the reflection of plastic liner protector, that would also indicate 50's, in my view (but probably early 50's).

GoneSolo and Gene -- great Flagships, as well. I would love to find one of these lids in my size someday...

Cheers,
JtL

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words.:D
Both have the "Flagship" designation on the sweatband; just forgot to capture it in the first picture.
Here is the liner for the sage color. There is an acetate film covering the liner:

And the brown:

Sage color: Wind trolley, underwelt, cursive text on sweatband This hat seems to be from '51 or so as it has similar details to Douglas' hat.
Brown color: no trolley, underwelt (cant really tell as the felt is folded under but is similar to a cav egde above), old english text This one is similar to dinerman's hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here's another ad, featuring the Whippet and the Flagship, from 1947
3255208459_0fae509b4c.jpg

Lefty, All the information I have states that Stetson began their National Branding Campaign in 1939 and that the campaign featured one hat each year. It also states that they featured the Flagship in 1946. However, the earliest Flagship ad that I have been able to locate is from 1947. It may be that the decision was made in 1946 for the 1947 campaign.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flagship

This one is a bit minty but as promised.
DSCN8080.jpg

DSCN8089.jpg

DSCN8084.jpg

Just as with Dman's this one has the three rows of brim stitching. This one is slated for a cleaning and reblocking.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The Fellowship of the Flagship

Douglas, Thanks for posting pictures of your "Minty" Beauty. I especially like the profile shot where we see the top and bottom stitching on the ribbon and the square-cut ends of the bow. The Flagship has nice details and wonderful proportions.

DOUGLAS

My hat is in desperate need of a cleaning. It looks more gray than blue.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Mine's a pressed underwelt, where the stitching does not come through the top of the brim, and the edge is pressed to simulate a cavanagh edge.

Douglas's brown one had an underwelt, but with stitching that goes all the way through.

Looks like others have a triple stitched overwelt

DOUGLAS

This last one has the three rows of stitching on the underwelt that goes through the brim top and bottom. It is tagged with the original price of $12.50. It also has a more narrow ribbon than my brown one.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here is a mid-40's Royal Stetson DeLuxe Flagship in Sage. The felt is a medium thickness, soft and malleable. I just love the weight of this felt -- it's very similar to the thickness and feel of early-50's Stetson 3X fedoras. The liner is embroidered. The sweat is intact and supple. In general, this lid has survived in excellent condition...

SageStetsonFlagship.jpg

Flagship-1.jpg

FlagshipLiner.jpg

FlagshipLinerLogo.jpg

FlagshipSweatLogo.jpg

FlagshipSweat-1.jpg

FlagshipSweat-2.jpg

Flagship-2.jpg

Flagship-3.jpg

Flagship.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Petersham?

jimmy the lid said:
Here is a mid-40's Stetson Royal DeLuxe Flagship in sage. The felt is a medium thickness, soft and malleable. I just love the weight of this felt. The liner is embroidered. The sweat is intact and supple. In general, this lid has survived in excellent condition...

Flagship-3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, that hat is gorgeous, but the ribbon appears to be petersham. I didn't realize they used this back then, but it looks good on that hat.

The one Carter posted looks like it might be the same, but hard to tell from the pics.

Hopefully the winner of the recent 7 1/4 Flagship will post pics for comparison.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
That's a beauty! It shows some similarities to my own gray Flagship, with black ribbon, that may help me date my hat.

Is that an unreeded sweatband? That's what I found on my hat.

Here is a mid-40's Royal Stetson DeLuxe Flagship in sage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy