Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson No. 1 Quality

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
When I opened the box and took out this hat, I thought there must have been some mistake. It is absolutely jet black and looks as if it was made earlier this month and shipped to me by a custom hatter. No kidding, it looks like an absolutely brand new hat. So much so, in fact, that I thought that someone had simply taken an old sweat and sewn it into a new hat. Honestly, I was bummed -- until I discovered the Stetson tags under the sweat, one of which has a serial number that matches the serial number stamped on the back of the sweat!

The felt, as previously mentioned, is jet black. It is hard to convey this in photographs, but the first photo below, taken with flash, gives a very good sense of how this hat looks in daylight, as well. There is a very small hole in the curl at the very front of the hat -- but, other than that, the felt is in mint condition. It is amazingly malleable -- just like clay in terms of taking any shape that is squeezed into it. It is also extremely dense and smooth, but still fairly lightweight. Given what must be this hat's age, I'm wondering whether this felt was made using mercury, and whether the density and smoothness is a result of this process.

The curled brim on this one is 3". Open crown height is 5 1/2". The sweat is actually in amazing condition -- still extremely supple. It is taped at the back seam.

I would love to hear from those who might have an idea as to dating this one. My reading in the Snyder Stetson book suggests a time frame anywhere from 1900 through the 1920's, but I don't have enough info to really pin this down.

In any event, I thought it would be worth documenting this one fairly thoroughly...

Black.jpg

OpenCrown-30.jpg

Sweat-5.jpg

Logo-2.jpg

HillHart.jpg

SweatBack.jpg

SweatSerial.jpg

Tags-1.jpg

SweatBow.jpg

Side.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
Wow, if that first photo is WITH flash then that thing has got to be double black! Nice lid JTL! With that embossing around the top of the sweat and the rolled over edge it seems to be pretty early.

B

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Wow, if that first photo is WITH flash then that thing has got to be double black! Nice lid JTL! With that embossing around the top of the sweat and the rolled over edge it seems to be pretty early.

B

The daylight photos wash out the color, believe it or not. That first photo is very accurate in terms of how that hat would look if you were holding it right in front of you. Absolutely jet black!

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
lol But it is from Ohio...;)

I'm convinced that 50% of all great US-sold hats started here.

Is this your only hat without the patented JtL c-crown?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Is this your only hat without the patented JtL c-crown?

Well, there's this one, and a couple of diamonds, and one center dent (for now) -- the rest are all...well, you know...;)

Cheers,
JtL

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I wished I had that hat and you had a feather. What does that dog of yours have to say about this one? I'd say 20's and certainly not newer than 1935. TLH

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That has to be pretty early I'm sure. An interesting combo with the pencil curl brim and soft crown with the thin ribbon. Fascinating that these jewels still exist sitting in a box or on a shelf somewhere.

fedoralover

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Seriously, some people have all the luck.

Or maybe it's just the good eye of an experienced shopper..?

One of the best Fedoras I've seen around here!

Way to go Mr. Lid!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great, JTL - I'm still trying to get DOUGLAS to sell me his size 7 version of this fine lid.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
What a great hat...!I've been wanting a black hat for a while.Now I want one just like that one....:eusa_clap

I don't know if they still make that style, but here's a similar Royal Stetson from the 1950's, but with a wider ribbon:

StetsPencilCurl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner