Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
Hatco could make the hat a 2 5/8 inch brim if we ordered it that way. I figured that people would want a standard 2 1/2" brim.

PS. What other color would people be interested in?

If this hat has the wider whippet brim binding, I could go for either brim width. Color-wise, black with a black ribbon and edge would be my first choice (I don't want to bore Art with a black on black lid if I don't have to, you know. Plus, I'd rather keep my customs unusual). Otherwise, how about a light fawn-like color?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So any news on this development? I may be interested in a bound edge. I would have really liked the 2 5/8 brim but I think a 2 1/2 is okay, too.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Nice Hat

I had the occasion yesterday to handle a sample of the Nostalgia. This one was pewter grey decent felt labeled Royal Stetson. It was not Pinnacle grade which is 100% beaver but still had a fine hand. The brim was 2 1/2" wide with a 6 ligne binding which I believe is the same as the Whippet. It is the same width as my Whippet.

The crown had a black nice grade 19 ligne ribbon and over all was a very good production hat. The brim has a noticeable snap to it which dipped down handsomely. It was my size and fit comfortably.

Were I asked to vote on this hat and its particular specifications, I would say it's definitely a winner and one which I would make a keeper. As an urban dweller with very limited space, I would somehow fit one extra box in.

analogist

Just took a look at Aaron's website. The Stetson Nostalgia depicted there appears to have a raw edge. (If there is any body-colored stitching or anything else on that edge, it sure doesn't show up on my monitor.) Nice lookin' hat anyway, I'd say. Yet analogist reports that the one he encountered has that Whippet-esque wide edge binding. I know I'm a bit late to this party, but does anyone know why this would be? More than one version of it, maybe?

In any case, it's good to see a big manufacturer (THE big manufacturer, I suppose) getting it considerably closer to "right," eh gents?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

scotrace said:
The brim is bound in the standard Nostalgia? Was the felt soft? Crease-able? 2.5" brim is just my size.

It has a raw edge. It comes open crowned and the felt is pliable. I was able to easily create a good looking bash.

They are now sending me one in my size to field test for a while.

carldelo

One Too Many
analogist said:
I had the occasion yesterday to handle a sample of the Nostalgia. This one was pewter grey decent felt labeled Royal Stetson. It was not Pinnacle grade which is 100% beaver but still had a fine hand. The brim was 2 1/2" wide with a 6 ligne binding which I believe is the same as the Whippet. It is the same width as my Whippet.

The crown had a black nice grade 19 ligne ribbon and over all was a very good production hat. The brim has a noticeable snap to it which dipped down handsomely. It was my size and fit comfortably.

Were I asked to vote on this hat and its particular specifications, I would say it's definitely a winner and one which I would make a keeper. As an urban dweller with very limited space, I would somehow fit one extra box in.

analogist

I don't mean to pry (yeah, right) but was this one of Besdor's samples? I'm assuming it is due to the bound edge and the width of the ribbon. I thought the Nostalgia was going to be Sovereign grade, a step up from Royal...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Yes , Analogist did see a sample hat ! It is a Soverign quality hat with a bound edge . We will ordering the hat this way in two colors for the fall. Stetson could make the hat in their Pinacle (beaver) body but I think that most people would not pay 325.00 for a hat . At 140.00 , the Soverign quality will be just fine.
This is probably the closest copy of a vintage hat made by Stetson in a long time.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

carldelo

One Too Many
besdor said:
Yes , Analogist did see a sample hat ! It is a Soverign quality hat with a bound edge . We will ordering the hat this way in two colors for the fall. Stetson could make the hat in their Pinacle (beaver) body but I think that most people would not pay 325.00 for a hat . At 140.00 , the Soverign quality will be just fine.
This is probably the closest copy of a vintage hat made by Stetson in a long time.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

This sounds great - just in time for my wife to buy me one for my birthday - hopefully gray is one option - have you picked the other color?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Stetson Whippet

Caribou Gray will be one of the colors with either mink brown or black the other. I hope to have these soon. If this sells well, then perhaps a Stratoliner reissue will be in the works!!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jec

One of the Regulars
As a newbie who keeps getting blown-out on EBay auctions for vintage Whippets, this may be my only way of getting a hat that looks like one onto my head! I'm a likely buyer, too. Can't wait until they are available.

carter

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
Caribou Gray will be one of the colors with either mink brown or black the other. I hope to have these soon. If this sells well, then perhaps a Stratoliner reissue will be in the works!! Steven www.bencrafthats.com

Stephen, I am glad to see that you are working with HATCO to bring this hat to market. Who knows, you may create a market to bring this style back to the masses. (Well, that may be a tad optomistic.)
I have several Stetson's in Caribou and the color is terrific. My Pinnacle in Caribou is a very nice production hat. I think Mink Brown would look very nice as well.
Definitely the wider binding and a wide ribbon would be nice.
It would be nice to see a dark navy felt at some point.
I hope this does well as a reissue on the Stratoliner would be terrific!
I'll be ordering one as soon as the colors are finalized!

For those who are asking about what is available at the HATCO Outlet:
Products change daily. If you PM what you want, I'll try to find it when I am there. If I find it, I'll buy it if guaranteed that you will pay for it.
I've offered to do this before but cannot be a survey and/or warehouse service . Too much time and money. So, if you can commit to a purchase, I'll try to help out.
Just commit to paying for the item and shipping when I find it, not at some time in the future or never.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
jecoe@earthlink said:
As a newbie who keeps getting blown-out on EBay auctions for vintage Whippets, this may be my only way of getting a hat that looks like one onto my head! I'm a likely buyer, too. Can't wait until they are available.

I also feel the same being new to this wonderful addiction of acquiring fedoras prices on Ebay have gone wild.
Sign me up for one in 7 1/4 Caribou Grey of course. :D

Hats are like potato chips you just can't have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis