Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Shasta 10x

DougC

Practically Family
Hey! I just picked up a Stetson Shasta 10X from Paris hatters and had them reshape the crown and brim-telescoped crown and pencil rolled flat brim. Was going for more of a buckaroo style. I like it the hat-with the flat brim, I get TONS of shade! Felt is pretty nice-was going to wait for an Atwood...but a hat on the head is worth two in the mail! :)

john9

New in Town
I took delivery of a Shasta 10x Friday the 22nd. Upon lifting the hat out of the box I noticed the weight seemed very light. I compared it to my Stetson 6x and then my Stetson 50x. The weight was noticeably lighter. IT took 3 months for this hat to get made by Stetson because of body problems with Stetson's supplier. I called Stetson to ask about the difference in weight, but the customer service rep said only that she was aware of the lighter weight. For any more detailed information as to why the difference in weight I would have to talk to her supervisor who was not in that day. I was told to call back Monday the 25th when her supervisor would be in. Does any one here know of this weight difference and why.

john9

New in Town
Called Stetson about the material problem with my hat. They emailed to me a Fedex label. Will be sending it back tomorrow.

john9

New in Town
Shipped the hat out yesterday the 26th. Now I find out by tracking it and finding no movement on it except pickup that it is lost. Found this out by calling Fedex. They said they would try to find it and call me back in a couple of hours.

Besides its lighter weight, was there anything else about the hat to find objectionable? I ask because lighter weight in and of itself isn't necessarily bad. Indeed, many of us would welcome a return of the thinner, lighter "casual" hats offered by many of the major manufacturers 60 and more years ago.

A thinner felt hat may indeed wear through faster, especially if its wearer habitually handles the hat by the crown creases (as most wearers do, it seems). But hey, it's a hat! A shorter lifespan might be a small price to pay for increased comfort.

paper filler is this for real.

Highly doubtful, 'fish. I believe the poster who mentioned that meant it to be a joke.

However, there is a "straw" hat body material, Shantung, that is indeed a paper product. Chances are excellent that when you see a white straw cowboy hat what you are seeing is paper. Most such hats are made of the stuff. And it's fine for what it is. It's inexpensive and if the wearer gets a few months use out of the hat he got what he paid for.

john9

New in Town
Hat found. When they do a residential pickup, they don't deliver the packages to the main hub till the next day.

john9

New in Town
Besides its lighter weight, was there anything else about the hat to find objectionable? I ask because lighter weight in and of itself isn't necessarily bad. Indeed, many of us would welcome a return of the thinner, lighter "casual" hats offered by many of the major manufacturers 60 and more years ago.

A thinner felt hat may indeed wear through faster, especially if its wearer habitually handles the hat by the crown creases (as most wearers do, it seems). But hey, it's a hat! A shorter lifespan might be a small price to pay for increased comfort.

Nothing else wrong except the weight and the lack of sturdiness.

DougC

Practically Family
I use mine as my cowboy action shooting hat. I've worn it for about a year now and mine seems to be holding up to rain and general abuse pretty well. I've thrown it on the ground once and it popped right back and the dirt came right off with a brush of the hand. Mine doesn't feel any lighter than my open roads or my other felt cowboy hats. The only thing I wish I had done differently was to get brown instead of silver belly...the light color shows powder from the brass pretty well.

john9

New in Town
Hat will reach Hatco(Stetson) Sept 2nd. I'm just wondering if my retailer could have sent me a counterfeit Shasta 10x.
That seems a bit bizarre even thinking along those lines.

john9

New in Town
The Shasta 10x arrived at Hatco yesterday the 2nd. Called them today and was told they will get back to me as soon as they examine the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael