Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stuff

buler

I'll Lock Up
Harrold Hats - Stetson

click thumbnails for larger pics

stetson_harrold_1922.JPG

stetson_harrold_1929.JPG

stetson_harrold_1935.JPG

stetson_harold_hats_1950.JPG

skydog757

A-List Customer
BAND: resembles white wool about 1-5/8" tall & 1/2" thick. There was the usual Stetson hat pin inserted therein which I removed prior to photographing the hat.

I think that the fuzzy laniferous band looks ridiculous & I'm hoping that someone can confirm that it isn't the original one. No offence to sheep farmers, but I'm not inclined to walk about sporting such a band, especially one that sticks out 1/2" all around the crown's circumference.

That band's got to go, unless perchance it is original & I accordingly decide to preserve the hat as-is. Otherwise I'd like to replace the band with something at least resembling what was there originally, I suspect either a thin ribbon or else a leather strap.

Anyways knowing that Stetson Gun Clubs are worthy hats, I hope someone can assist in identifying this model &/or provide further guidance ... thanks in advance!

I can't speak on your particular model, but I've seen a number of hats with bands of that nature used by fly-fishermen; they would carry numerous types of "fly" lures stuck into the band so that they could switch them out quickly depending on what the fish were biting on. I know that these bands were (and probably still are) sold aftermarket for use and some hats did indeed come with them from the factory. The Gun Club being intended for wear in the great outdoors; I would not be surprised if yours was a specific model.

Try sticking in some tied flies and see if that improves the look.

viclip

Practically Family
I can't speak on your particular model, but I've seen a number of hats with bands of that nature used by fly-fishermen; they would carry numerous types of "fly" lures stuck into the band so that they could switch them out quickly depending on what the fish were biting on. I know that these bands were (and probably still are) sold aftermarket for use and some hats did indeed come with them from the factory. The Gun Club being intended for wear in the great outdoors; I would not be surprised if yours was a specific model.

Try sticking in some tied flies and see if that improves the look.

Thanks for your follow-up, in the interim after having poked around on the Web I arrived at the following conclusion taking into account various factors:

a) the particular Stetson Gun Club model of the hat is the "Catera", albeit an earlier version than the current one based upon its lower fur content;
b) yet none of the Catera versions that I found whether earlier or current, boasted air vents plus mine had a slightly dimensional brim unlike the typical Catera;
c) the fuzzy woolly hat band mounted on the hat was of the sort favored by fly-fisherman for storing hooks/lures, indeed such bands can be purchased separately on-line & look identical to mine;
d) noting the Eddie Bauer provenance of the hat, which outfit is well known for outdoor gear, in all probability my hat was a special run ordered from Stetson based upon the Catera chassis & marketed by Eddie Bauer as an angler's hat.

I have since liberated the hat from that gawd-awful ovine strip of a hat band & affixed a thin olive ribbon in its place & stead, which nicely complements the Stetson "Bark" color of the hat. I then re-inserted the Stetson pin over the area where the replacement ribbon crosses over itself.

Having been a busy lad in pursuance of the foregoing, I must say that it was worth it. The Gun Club line of hats are quite nice & I've gotten a number of compliments. The standard Catera comes with a leather band so the olive ribbon makes it somewhat unique, augmenting the vent holes & dimensional brim special features.

No offence to fly-fisherman or to sheep farmers intended herein, but there's no way for me to have been seen in public in an urban area sporting the original hat band!

skydog757

A-List Customer
No offence to fly-fisherman or to sheep farmers intended herein, but there's no way for me to have been seen in public in an urban area sporting the original hat band!

Good call. Most fly-fishermen I see nowadays have a patch on their vest that is similar to your hatband material; as a group they are hardly fashion mavens but it appears that even they didn't care to have all that clutter on their hats.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Goldblatt Haberdasher and Hatter

the store with Stetson Hats...Newark N J....crown brush is just 3 1/2" long, clad in leather

attachment.php

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 875

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure I want my name written in such a permanent way. I've always been a big fan of erasers. Here in the Little Apple they put the ball up today, Happy New Year one an all.

buler

I'll Lock Up
An interesting plaque that I don't believe I've posted yet. Seems to be in an unfinished state. I've tried to read the "signature" and google it, but everything I think it says comes up with no hits.

B

attachment.php

attachment.php

Click on the thumbnails to play guess the signature:

plaque_sig_1.JPG

plaque_sig_2.JPG

plaque_sig_3.JPG

Attachments

• stetson1.jpg
    stetson1.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 982
  • stetson2.jpg