Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, okay, now I understand.

Yeah, I definitely like the smooth finish I'm seeing on most of these Stetsons. I love my Akubra's to death, but I do wish they were smoother sometimes, if only for tactile self-satisfaction. Maybe with some sandpaper...

Neophyte said:
.... Maybe with some sandpaper...
The Akubras could use a little extra pouncing. I've used extra fine sandpaper on all my Campdrafts & even the Moonstone Fed4 I got recently. I don't have a Heritage level one but all my Imperials could use some more pouncing to knock off the hairs. Weather will help tighten up the felt in due time as well...

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread until now! There are definitely some great looking Stetsons in here.

Here is my current one and only fur felt Stetson. It's vintage, and while not officially marked as a Whippet, it has very similar dimensions.

Whippet6.jpg

Whippet1.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread until now! There are definitely some great looking Stetsons in here.

Here is my current one and only fur felt Stetson. It's vintage, and while not officially marked as a Whippet, it has very similar dimensions.

Whippet6.jpg

Whippet1.jpg

That does look very much like a Whippet. Fine hat!

Randy

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Royal Stetson De Luxe, St. Regis. Not 100% on the age of this one. Again, a guess at the 1950's. I think the experts here would be able to tell from the liner.
100_5817.jpg
[/IMG]
100_5775.jpg
[/IMG]

Cheers!

Dan

Some more nice ones, Dan. I have a raw edge dark gray one similar to the first one in your pics, it's posted one page back. Nice hat, very much 30's flare to it but it's actually 50's, I'm sure.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks hatophile! :)

This one is my Stetson Sutley. Another that I bought late in 2004 in Virginia City, Nevada. Not vintage bust seems to hold up well. I think the only hting I would replace is the sweatband.

100_5717.jpg

100_5747.jpg

At least they did it right and made it a brown sweatband.

Cheers!

Dan

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
OK, now I'm with Billy in the other thread about it being an early to mid-40s hat.

Here's my vita-felt (41-46 I think it was)
DSC_0099.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info Lefty. The more I know the better at identifying these lids I can get. I've just been lucky in the past when purchasing these hats to be able to get them for a song most of the time. If I manage to I'd like to get a vintage Stetson homburg in either black or navy blue. Someday.

Cheers!

Dan

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I just finished putting a 6pt diamond crown into my caribou royal quality Ashland. When I started I didn’t think it would happen. I’ve used this hat as a rain and work hat for several years. I’ve beat it with a baseball bat and a hockey stick, rolled it up like a wet towel several times, stomped on it, and even threw it in the garbage once and it still took a new shape quite nicely and is holding it despite the overall lack of stiffness. The original open crown height on these are way too short for me, and this one is about 1/2” shorter than on my black Ashland, so I couldn’t put any kind of a tugboat effect into it, but at least it has a more boxy appearance that complements my new Nostalgia and can serve as its surrogate on stormy days.

6ptAshland.jpg
BashedAshland.jpg

Here’s the factory bash. Not a dramatic difference in the front I suppose, but I like the look of the crown better.

4735628299_9268d7a89a.jpg

Some day when I pick up another Nostalgia, I’ll see what kind of a licking that one can take.

Big_e

Practically Family
I musta' missed this thread and I love to show off my Stetsons. I like Stetsons, especially the Sovereigns since there's a store across town that stocks them. This is my brown Sovereign.
m1.jpg

I bought this one off of FL member StetsonHomburg. A grey Sovereign with a stingy brim. Great hat!

s7.jpg

Ernest

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
B.J. Hedberg said:
I reworked the pinch on my Ashland yet again. I think it looks much better now, excepting how dirty it’s getting.

ReworkedStetson.jpg

Some would say dirty is good. Some would say a little dirt goes a long way. I am some of those some lol.

Cyclical redundancies aside, I like it :eusa_clap .

theinterchange

One Too Many
Big_e said:
I musta' missed this thread and I love to show off my Stetsons. I like Stetsons, especially the Sovereigns since there's a store across town that stocks them. This is my brown Sovereign.
m1.jpg

I bought this one off of FL member StetsonHomburg. A grey Sovereign with a stingy brim. Great hat!

s7.jpg

Ernest

A REALLY cool looking hat, Big_e! :eusa_clap You always wear your hats with flair.

Randy

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Some would say dirty is good. Some would say a little dirt goes a long way. I am some of those some lol.

Cyclical redundancies aside, I like it :eusa_clap .

Thank you Neophyte. You know when I stopped worrying too much about my hats getting dirty, wearing them became a lot more fun. They are just another replaceable article of useful clothing after all. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav