Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Temple Reblock

fenris

One of the Regulars
I just got my Stetson Temple in black. Didn't realize how tapered the crown would be. It's nice and all, but the crown does not suit me I think.

I'm planning to reblock it to get some more crown height... Will probably lose some brim, though.

Has anybody had success reblocking this model? If you have please post pics.

Alternatively, maybe some of you have successfully bashed it differently... Would also like to see pics of that as well. Tried a diamond crease, but there's not enough crown to work with.

Thanks!

DougC

Practically Family
I have a weekender and I would like to reblock too...just haven't gotten around to it. I wish it was a tad taller and way less tapered. I think the low, tapered crown is why most people steer clear of modern Stetsons. But, sometimes a hat just talks to you and you buy it thinking "I can change it!" So, I've put a new ribbon on and worked on the brim. Now I need to reblock...if you beat me to it, please post some pics.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Well, did the semi-reblock first. Removed the liner, but not the ribbon and sweatband. I did find a sticker in the sweatband which said "I personally checked this hat, hope you enjoy it! H. MOORE".

Dunked the hat in a pail again. Was expecting the dye to run as most people had said that the powder dye easily runs when the hat gets wet. I only saw very little dye (I think that was dye residue in the pail of water)... but not really that significant.

Dunno how this will turn out, though.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Here's how it looks now on my foam block... Darkened the background and highlighted the hat itself.

Stetson_Temple_Semi_Reblock_zpsd675e5e5.jpg

Noticed something about the ribbon. It's a tad wider than the ribbon on my FedIV.

fenris

One of the Regulars
A little trivia about the hat...

My wife got it for free from Hatco because she was there implementing a new software for their operations. I think they gave each member of their team a hat each. Her office mate got a western-styled hat.

According to her, they didn't have a Stetson Temple in stock so they had to make the hat for her. If only I knew about the Nostalgia at the time... Oh, well.

My hat came with the Stetson pin, not the label side tab that I think new orders get.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Fenris, I think it's going to look great. I'm anticipating the final pics. If I could reblock my Nougat and Mist Gray Temples, it would be cool.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Without further ado... Here's the newly "semi-reblocked" Temple...

Stetson_Temple_Reblocked01.jpg

Here it is next to my Akubra FedIV Deluxe.
Stetson_Temple_Reblocked02.jpg

In this pic the ribbon width is obvious. The Temple has a wider ribbon compared to my FedIV.

This was the best bash I could do for it (at the moment) that didn't show that much taper. Compared to the original crown shape and bash, I would say this is a big improvement.

I think I need to find a good wood worker and ask him to make me a wood block based on my foam block.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Thought about that when I first got the hat as the snap brim's curl was a little extreme. All it needed was some further curling... But I decided against it. I think a homburg is more formal compared to a fedora. And the way I dress wouldn't go well with a homburg. I think a homburg would look good in a suit, though. Problem is, I live in a tropical country... wearing a suit would lead to heat stroke!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Without further ado... Here's the newly "semi-reblocked" Temple...

Stetson_Temple_Reblocked01.jpg

. . . This was the best bash I could do for it (at the moment) that didn't show that much taper. Compared to the original crown shape and bash, I would say this is a big improvement. . . .
It looks great! What did you do to prep it -- did you have to remove the liner, or did you just dunk the crown and then wriggle it down onto the block?

ETA: Never mind, I went back and reread page 1. Are the liners sewn in on these hats, or glued? And did you put the liner back in afterward, or are you going without it?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot