Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stockings In The Summer?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now that the warm weather has finally arrived for those of us in the colder climates, I have a question about wearing stockings/FF nylons.

I have gotten different answers from different people in regards to what the protocol is. On the one hand, I feel a bit under dressed and a bit bare if I wear a dress without stockings. On the other hand, if the temperature is in the 90's and the humidity is high, which is often the case during the months of July and August, it's just too hot and sticky to bear the extra layer of nylons. Let's face it, they don't breathe that well, and in the heat and humidity they can just add to that sticky feeling.

Of course for evenings out I would always wear them. IMO, I just think it's not appropriate for a lady to wear a cocktail dress or evening attire without them. For a more casual look, like a cotton day dress, is it necessary to wear nylons? I do love the way they look. They add to the vintage ascetic. Sometimes seemed stockings and the right accessories are what can set a modern outfit apart from a vintage one. But, on some days it's just too darn uncomfortable to wear them:(

So, what do you gals think? Is it OK to leave the nylons behind during a hot summer day? I actually have a few very lightweight dresses, both in fabric and in looks, in which stockings sometimes look too heavy with. The dresses are long enough, just about at my shins, so a lot of bare leg wouldn't be showing. I would still wear a slip and foundation garment. A lot of my vintage inspired foundation garments have garters that are removable. I have a few actual vintage foundations that also have removable garters, but some do not. I'm assuming the ones with the removable garters are so ladies could still have the proper foundations without having to wear their stockings. I asked my Granny what she did in the 30's and 40's but she doesn't remember:( My Mom didn't reach her teens til' the 60's, things were a lot different then. She can't recall what her Mom and Grandmother did. I've asked a few loungers in private, and have gotten different answers. So, now I'm all confused[huh]

What do you ladies do about stocking in the summer? I have the feeling that those of you who are lucky enough to live in warmer climates all year round are accustomed to wearing stockings in the heat. But, those of us who live in the cold for the most part of the year might notice the heat a bit more. Of course this is all dependent on the assumption that it's actually going to get warm here in the northeast!! Given the past few days, I'm not sure that this is gonna happen:( and in that case, I won't have to worry about whether or not I'm making the right stocking choice. I'll have to wear them to keep warm[huh]

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, advice:)

BegintheBeguine

This is my theory: it's already hot. I'm going to be hot anyway. If I'm wearing a nice dress, I wear stockings. And a slip. I know they are sometimes unpopular here but I even like pantyhose. If I am wearing a very casual housedress, no, but then I don't leave the house anyway. Often, however, I wear a long Hawaiian dress or Thai caftan and so don't wear stockings and stay cool but covered. I'm wearing a long Hawaiian dress right now! I have several. All the gals in my Southern family wore hose and a slip when wearing a dress unless they were going fishing or something and then it was a simple shift with Keds.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
i think it depends on the dress! if i'm going out for an evening and the stockings would really add that extra touch, i'll go for it. if it's a more summery/lightweight dress, i'll pass. we're lucky enough to live in a modern era and be able to pick and choose the elements of vintage culture that we'd like to adhere to!

that said, if i wear stockings in the summer, they have to be very light and sheer, like 15 denier.

also, if you have foundations that you want to wear and don't have removeable garters, there are garter anchors you can get to help keep your foundations in place. i know i've seen them, i just can't remember where for the life of me!!

EDIT: found 'em! though they don't look that comfortable or cool - http://www.sleeknchic.com/html/catrare.htm

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks Ladies for the help:)
I like what you said Kitty, about the advantage of living in the modern world. Thus far, with my lighter weight cotton day dresses I haven't been wearing stockings. But, I think a rayon or silk (dare I wear silk in the heat) would look silly without them. My day dresses are all pretty long, so I don't feel naked without them. But, if I were to wear something knee length or shorter, which is doubtful since I'm only 5 feet tall and even the shortest of dresses are shin length on me, but if I did have a knee length dress or possibly shorter, I would definitely wear stockings. I think stockings are a must for an evening out. Unless it's one of those nice summer nights when I'm just out for a stroll through the neighborhood. Then it's lightweight cotton dress, comfy low wedges or keds, and a cute cardigan. I won't even wear a restrictive girdle for such an activity, maybe I'd wear a lighter hold waist cincher, but like Kitty said that's the beauty of living in the modern world. Even without stockings on, I still seem to look over dressed for an evening stroll in comparison to the other people walking in the neighborhood. :eek:fftopic: The young guy that I share my roof deck with has been out there all morning in his boxers trying to get a tan before the rain comes back!!! I find this embarrassing. I was sitting out there reading when he came out, I was just in a linen skirt and a blouse with wedge slides on. Hair and make-up not done because I'm in the privacy of my own home. I heard him coming and really didn't mind, he's seen me in sweats before, I don't need to dress up for some 21 year old neighbor. But there he is in his boxers!! I'm not gonna lie, he's nice to look at. Aside from his party habits he's actually a pretty sweet kid, he just has a lot of growing up to do. However, he is well aware that the roof deck is shared between 4 condos, and that on a day like today it is more than likely that someone else will be out there. It was bad enough that every night last summer I had to see him at the grill without a shirt on, in his sport shorts with no shoes on. But I'd actually prefer to see those sport shorts at the moment!! I said hello to him but kept my head buried in my book. I finally felt so weird that I went inside. Is it really so hard to throw on a pair of shorts. I'm not asking him to sit around in the sun in a suit, but clothes would be preferred! I'm gonna have to get one of those signs that says "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Pants, No Service!" And to think that here I am worried that it might not be right to go without stockings on when I dress vintage! (I don't dress vintage every day)...
Now if my neighbor Patrick was out there in his boxers, I wouldn't mind that at all:D He's a very nice sight, and old enough to not make me feel like I was sitting with my little brother!:eek: Pardon the very silly word, but he's quite yummy!! Really lacking a better word to describe him:(

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Ooh Daisy, you're boy crazy! I'm the same way though, too many crushes to count!

Yesterday I wore a very light cotton dress (with a slip and camisole, otherwise it would've been see-through) and some Keds out shopping. No stockings or foundation garment. The dress was light and not clingy at all, so I didn't care that not everything was smushed into place, and I didn't feel awkward without stockings since it was such a casual dress.

With my vintage dresses though, stockings in hot weather doesn't bother me. I would always wear dark jeans in hot weather, so stockings are somewhat of a relief!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I detest stockings but will wear the vintage ones vs the regular because I find them more comfortable. In the summer I got without them but do wear a slip. I have yet to wear a foundation garment and am putting it off until last minute. I was going to get one to make my waist small enough to finally wear some of the stuff I bought that didn't fit, but it now fits me even without one.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Going out, wear stockings.
Day dresses, you can get away with bobbie socks and kicks.
Picnic, socks.
Lunch, stockings.
Work, stockings.
But always a slip (especially to catch the extra sweat the summer is gonna bring :eusa_doh:

Just my thoughts,

LD

Daisy Buchanan

Lady Day said:
Picnic, socks.
Lunch, stockings.
Work, stockings.
But always a slip (especially to catch the extra sweat the summer is gonna bring :eusa_doh:

Just my thoughts,

LD

Good rules to follow! I really like the look of bobby socks, but unfortunately they aren't very flattering on my stumps, I mean legs:D I'm short, 5 feet tall barely, bobby socks tend to make my legs look even shorter than they already are. That's why I like seamed stockings, the long line, IMO, is flattering on my short legs. I also tend to stay away from capris pants, they too make my legs look even shorter:( which is a shame because they are so cute and a great alternative to shorts in the summer. Maybe after I lose a bit of the weight I gained I'll feel more confident wearing bobby socks. I have the most darling poodle skirt that was my Mom's in the 50's that must be worn with bobby's in order to look authentic.

Well thanks LD for your guidelines. They are pretty much what I did last summer. There were a couple of times when I went out to lunch in a dress without stockings but I was wearing a below the knee dress/skirt, and it was just far too hot and humid to wear anything but lightweight cotton. I always wear a slip. I used to not wear one if the dress/skirt was lined, but this winter was cold and the extra layer, albeit a thin one, helped to keep me a little warmer. Now I feel funny if I don't wear a slip. Besides, a lot of my spring/summer dresses are far too sheer to wear without a full slip..

Like I said, I don't dress vintage everyday, at least not full on vintage. I have a lot of sumer dresses, since I don't wear shorts, both vintage and not vintage that I feel are far too delicate or lightweight to wear with even the sheerest of stockings. I don't wear miniskirts and never show a lot of leg, especially in comparison to some of the skirts that are being sold today. I guess I've made up my mind. For casual walks in the neighborhood, or a casual lunch at the bar on the corner or the local pizzeria, if it's too hot I'll leave the stockings at home, as long as my knees are covered:) Of course for nicer lunches and evenings out, stockings will definitely be worn.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Those are good rules to follow Daisy. I wear dresses on the days I am doing errands and don't wear stockings. If I am going anywhere in a social gathering I do.

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
I recall seeing in a book on 40's fashion a vintage ad for stocking paint. Basically draw the line on and slather the stuff on. I think I saw something similar in Walgreens but I might not have looked too closely...

You could always pencil the line on and just go stockingless (my grandma told me that trick for getting around wearing nylons during the summer). It gets to be 120 here in the summer, so stockings are way too uncomfortable IMO to be a necisary part of the wardrobe.

(sorry for the spelling issues...my brain is still boiling from being outside!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I always wear stockings at work -- the AC is pretty brisk in the theatre, and I'd be rather chillyish without them, even in July! But on hot days when I'm not working, I follow LD's suggestion -- in my case, it's bobby socks and saddle shoes. (Time to get out the white shoe polish, in fact, and buff 'em up for the season!)

Nashoba

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Picnic, socks.
Lunch, stockings.
Work, stockings.

Just my thoughts,

LD

Alright LD call me ignorant, but what are kicks?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear stockings during the summer most of the time. With sundresses/playwear, they are not necessary. But for work, and with nicer day dresses, I feel they really finish of the look. And, as mentioned above, slips are a must as well. :)

I am like you when it comes to bobby socks though; my legs are fairly long, but those socks don't do much for them either. lol

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
I wear stockings during the summer most of the time. With sundresses/playwear, they are not necessary. But for work, and with nicer day dresses, I feel they really finish of the look. And, as mentioned above, slips are a must as well. :)

I am like you when it comes to bobby socks though; my legs are fairly long, but those socks don't do much for them either. lol

I know what you mean, my legs are short enough, and bobby socks by cutting me off above the ankle make my legs look even shorter. You are lucky, you've got long legs, or as the guys would say "nice gams!", I could totally picture you in a vintage poodles skirt, bobby socks and saddle shoes. Well, at least for a photo shoot it would look great. I feel a bit too costumey wearing a poodle skirt out. Even with their popularity in the 50's, today they are synonymous with highly costumed movies like "Grease" (I do love this movie!), I think lots of people would assume that I was in the theater. I get enough of that around here when I dress vintage without wearing something as obvious as a poodle skirt!
Anyway, I just don't think bobby socks are a good look for me. If I had long legs, or even just a few more inches (I hear there's a surgery to lengthen ones legs, but apparently it is excruciating:() I'd take advantage of bobby socks for my casual walks.
No matter how hot it is, I feel naked without a slip. Although I'm very comfortable in tap pants and a camisole too. Except for the tap pants that I wore the other day that were a bit too big. I couldn't feel them over my waist cincher. When I went into the bathroom I realized that they were falling down and I didn't even know it:eek: A few more minutes of walking and they would have been around my ankles!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
Anyway, I just don't think bobby socks are a good look for me. If I had long legs, or even just a few more inches (I hear there's a surgery to lengthen ones legs, but apparently it is excruciating:() I'd take advantage of bobby socks for my casual walks.

yes, i've read about it, but only in relation to Japan and the large amount of cosmetic surgery that are becoming prominent there. it involves breaking the lower leg bones and pulling them apart, and then waiting for them to grow together, filling in the extra space. when this is done, sometimes damage is caused to the lower leg, causing tendon and/or muscle damage and causing the muscles to atrophy.

Kim_B

Practically Family
KittyT said:
yes, i've read about it, but only in relation to Japan and the large amount of cosmetic surgery that are becoming prominent there. it involves breaking the lower leg bones and pulling them apart, and then waiting for them to grow together, filling in the extra space. when this is done, sometimes damage is caused to the lower leg, causing tendon and/or muscle damage and causing the muscles to atrophy.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll just stick with being a shorty, thankyouverymuch :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For me, it usually depends on how hot it is...the summers here aren't really all that bad- we have about a week or two of super hot (well, at least to us northwesterners it is:rolleyes: ) so, the stockings are on.
I have a few sundresses that I love to go out casual with no stockings and with some dressy sandals and then my new fav thing...ankle bracelet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland