Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange Superstitions and The Superstitious Among Us

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My parents met on a Friday the Thirteenth in 1954 and remained married until my father's passing in 2003 (married fourty-eight and a half years), my family has always had black cats, I carry A-frame ladders by going underneath and grabbing both sides and walking it to where I need it, I've broken the mirror on the passenger side of my car twice since I bought it, and today I learned that the company where a friend's wife works wants me to do all the catalog photos of their products.

Need I even think superstitiously? Not on your life or mine!
happy0034.gif

Lee

I take today, Friday the 13th, with some heightened awareness. At the age of 8, I broke both bones of my left arm just above the wrist on a Friday the 13th. Now, I haven't had particular difficulties for the multitude of Friday the 13ths since that time, but I try to error on the side of caution by simply being a little more aware of my surroundings as I go thru the day.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Even though Friday the 13th hasn't ever been a bad day for me, but I'm pretty superstitious, I assume it's from my Appalachian-Irish-American heritage (I've heard tell they're a superstitious lot). My Mother has always said that if a bird flies inside your house it's bad luck and if one flies into your window (house, not car) it means a death in the family. I also believe deaths and births come in threes, though I'm not sure if that's really a superstition....

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'd say I'm very mildly superstitious.

I've been known to throw the occasional pinch of salt over a shoulder, and partially believe that students are a little wilder around a full moon (actually I'm a true believer that changes in barometric pressure can affect behavior) My Mom was a nurse, she knows that the data doesn't support it, but swears that full moons bring out the crazies and bring on larger numbers of births... [huh]

But that's about it, I wouldn't call it exceptional.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Depends on what you consider to be a superstition.

I think I saw a ghost once. But I was fairly young so there's that uncertainty there. A cousin and family friend claim they saw it too, they were with me. But I've always wondered if they're just humoring me...

I'd also say I believe in God to some extent. Though I'm probably leaning towards Agnostic.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Well I'd say I'm not superstitious, but then again...

Last nite I was wandering around at sunset looking for this diner that's supposed to be near the bus station. The diner wasn't showing up, it was getting dark, the drug addicts and misc. "who knows who's" were coming out, we were getting near the disputed zones of town, and I had 2 kids and more money than I normally carry.

and it was Friday the 13th...

I'll look for the diner again with a map, another day.

Not superstitious, except when it makes total sense to be so.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Not in the slightest, and I have an uncontrollable tendency to get into arguments with people about it. For example, a friend of mine didn't want her boyfriend to buy her a watch for her birthday because it meant their "time would run out." I told her to stop being ridiculous and take the damn watch! (Then, even if their time does run out, at least she'll have a nice watch.)

VintageJoAnn

New in Town
I don't know if this qualifies as superstition, but when I think a really negative thought I immedietly correct it to something more positive.
Don't want to project that bad karma.
My spouse just said that is not superstitious, just wacky.
oh well, gotta be me.

pgoat

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
:eek:fftopic: GWD- I like the attached link to your hat collection. Very impressive group of fine hats!
not at all for me neither.

That is a very nice gallery.

I LOVE the Stetson Weekender - basically the same body as the Open Road? But I prefer the dark ribbon.

I dunno, weird things happen out there in combat, like bullets occasionally hitting each other, "Golden BB" shots with small-arms downing million-dollar fighters... so the role of luck can't be totally discounted. Although, it's also possible that the power of belief alone hasn't been fully taken into account...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda