Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

String Tie???

12toneman

New in Town
Hi All! First post! LOVE your site!

Questions...is there a name for this kind of tie that we see Georges Simenon wearing in the pic below? What do you guys think of the style? In this something one would buy or make?

pm860314c.jpg

Mr Badger

Practically Family

Questions...is there a name for this kind of tie that we see Georges Simenon wearing in the pic below? What do you guys think of the style? In this something one would buy or make?

pm860314c.jpg

Welcome to the 'Lounge, 12toneman!

I guess it's the European version of the 'Western bow tie', which can be seen in many a classic cowboy movie and on country & western stars up until around the late-1950s... I should think that, as Simenon was Belgian, then this is the 20th Century vernacular continuance of the type of drawstrings that you would have found around the necks of 'country' folks' smocks and blouses up until the late 19th century (or even later in really rural areas)...

Here are two examples of the pre-tied 'Western' style variant that I'm fortunate to own, dating from (I think) the 1950s:

66677_10150288973235471_2531164_n.jpg

Dreadful. I find it unattractive, and I would never wear it.

Well, that's charming! This is his first post, where ARE your manners, sir? :eeek:

pm860314c.jpg

Welcome to the lounge. I like the glasses however not the string.
Best regards
ccj

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can notice a line up of pipes this person owns.....some collection at least?

The tie, not anything typical to me as to the nature of what a string tie is to me, but I am not opposed to what that one looks like or any type of tie. I do like the vintage "pre tied" bow ties of the western look. If I could find one as nice as shown here, I would wear it.

A mystery.

Simenon was photographed with (and without) all kinds of neckwear but always with a pipe. It's an interesting look that you should be able to recreate with the right piece of silk tassel. The one on this early 20th C. western would be a good choice but would need to be longer:

14.jpg

In NYC you should be able to source just about anything. Then of course, there is the bolo alternative.

Welcome to the lounge!

Mr Badger

Practically Family
The closest thing to the string tie that M. Simenon is wearing would be a sash cord with knotted ends – I'd try a large department store that has a decent curtain/blinds department, and see if they have any 'tie backs' for drapes... I'm being serious!

pm860314c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot