Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Search

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Okay just got back from Las Vegas and while I was there I went to the Greek Isles and saw a show called "The Rat Pack Is Back". HIGHLY recommend the show by the way, )"grease" the door guys' palm and you'll get awesome seats)

Anyway the guy who played Sammy Davis Jr. had this REALLY great jacket. He said it was made by the designer Valentino. Upon returning home though I've yet to find any info on the jacket. The closest I've come to finding a picture of what it looked like is some pictures of Elvis's wedding attire. As you can see there is a pattern on the jacket but it's only really visible up close or in really bright places. So here they are the pictures and now I'm asking for any professional advice on how to obtain one of these... what they are technically called or referred to as. And any other information you may think will help me. Really looking for that classic Vegas Jacket that's vintage cool. Thanks in advance.

307901435.jpg

307901436.jpg

-JX

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
That seems to be a certin style of dinner jacket influenced by a smoking jacket style. They became popular in the late fifties, but as they are kind of cool and a good choice for people who are going formal, but want to be a little different, they have always been made in some form or other.

THey often came in shawl collar like Elvis, but I would say the rat pack would be more likely to have it in a peak lapel, often done with edging on the edge in a kind of edwardian style.

You will surely find one or two pop up on ebay in vintage, or newre. You very likely can find them made by various companies and sold through tuxedo rental shops and websites.

Valentine, I think, is a designer who does a lot of formal wear. I don't think it is vintage unless it is maybe seventies vintage.

It is not so rare if you look in the right place.

For vintage, google brocade dinner jacket or smoking jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy