Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer hat for windy days?

dlgilbert

New in Town
Hello!
I'm a new poster here, but have been "lurking" for quite awhile. It's a pleasure reading all the great hat stories and hat advice, and I've been introduced to some great hats and hat sources, so I really appreciate this place!

I started my hat "addiction" last summer when I was tired of $6.00 straw hats from Wal-Mart and wanted something I could wear that was high-quality and fashionable instead of just cheap, rickety sun protection for around the yard.

I have a new hat on the way from Panama Bob, but I don't think it will be my choice for "digging in the dirt" yard work. ;-) The hat I usually wear for yardwork is a vented raffia safari-style hat from Noggintops and it's very comfy for that purpose. The only problem is (and here's where I finally get around to asking my question) is that the hat's light weight means the brim doesn't have the stiffness to stand up to more than a mild breeze, so the front is always flipping up (and back down) when the wind picks up at all.

What would you recommend for a good sun-protective, cool hat for bang-around yard work... for temperatures up to the 90's. I'm not very fond of cloth hats (at least the ones I've tried) as they all seem to be too hot for me and don't seem to breathe like straw, however I'm open to any suggestions given!

I was briefly considering a Shantung straw hat from Peters Brothers, but the Shantung straw is so stiff (and not really "straw" from what I understand) and I'm not sure how well it would do at keeping me cool in hot weather.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers!
Dan Gilbert

Richard

Familiar Face
sunbody.com

check these out; i have one and have been wearing it around, though not for yard work. they're much sturdier than panamas, rugged even, wearable int he rain, but comfortable. i'd prefer to sweat ina washable hat myself. sunbody searched on ebay reveals a lot of hats. thay are definitely a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo