Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surprised

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
NeilA said:
I too am quite new to hat wearing, but for some reason people tend to pay me a little more respect. I'm 18, so I'm "equal" to cashiers and the like, since they too are younger in my area. One notable occasion I was taking my girl to the movies and the man infront of me orderd his tickets and the attendant gave them to him with the customary, "enjoy the show". This guy had to by late 30's early 40's. I got, " I hope you enjoy the show sir". Then the guy who takes the tickets gave me a, "Your theater is last on the right sir". The hat seems to make a differance. Guess who gonna wear his hat more?

I like this. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

donnc

One of the Regulars
Atterbury Dodd said:
Sorry for getting the discussion of track, but could someone please explain to me what the the true meaning of "squares" is? I thought in the 50's that the squares were the "decent" kids as opposed to the Rock and Rollers. Of course I like Elvis and all, but I may be a little bit of a square my self if it means what I think it does.:)

I'm sure the wikipedia article has it basically right, but might have mentioned the interesting parallel with the use of the term in music, specifically with respect to rhythm. While that doesn't intend to be about people, it's funny how it does tend to be a personal trait - as an amateur musician I sometimes play with people who just seem congenitally square musically - and actually that seems to correlate a little with square as generally used to describe people. Which I don't see as a Bad or Good thing per se, more a matter of taste of course but it is certainly possible to live a great and exemplary life and be very much a square.

As for comments ... I would sometimes like to think I could wear a hat without attracting comments from random strangers. So far that has actually been the case - no comments from strangers that I can recall - so I must be doing something right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters