Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweatband Mesh

MillinerJan

New in Town
Hi! I'm new here and hope you guys can help me.

I have been given the task of trying to find out what this material is called and if it is available for purchase anywhere. I am a milliner and have never seen this material in a woman's hat. The hat you see is a man's boater.

This mesh allows the leather sweatband to move on the wearer's head. It also, I'm assuming, allows the head to breathe since the sweatband would not be up against the head.

It seems to be made of a cotton-like thread, in a double-rung strip, almost like railroad ties, but two ties side by side. Does this make sense?

Is there a way to upload a picture without it having a URL? Can I upload from my computer files?

Thanks for any and all help.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Upload your picture to a host such as photobucket. Then copy and paste the IMG code to your Lounge post. We will then see the photo in the thread.

Welcome! ;)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I know what you're talking about, but I'm not sure what the proper term for it is other than "mesh liner." It's very common on boaters with Bon Ton Ivy or that type of floating sweatbands, like this:

IMG_3699.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
MillinerJan said:
Hi! I'm new here and hope you guys can help me.

I have been given the task of trying to find out what this material is called and if it is available for purchase anywhere. I am a milliner and have never seen this material in a woman's hat. The hat you see is a man's boater.

This mesh allows the leather sweatband to move on the wearer's head. It also, I'm assuming, allows the head to breathe since the sweatband would not be up against the head.

It seems to be made of a cotton-like thread, in a double-rung strip, almost like railroad ties, but two ties side by side. Does this make sense?

Is there a way to upload a picture without it having a URL? Can I upload from my computer files?

Thanks for any and all help.

Welcome to the Lounge!

It sounds like you're talking about Bon Ton Ivy sweatbands, as featured in this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=47498

It was used for stiff hats to allow them to better conform to the wearer's head. I don't know much about women's hats, but I'm guessing they're probably not as stiff as a Boater or Derby.

I don't know of anyone making these anymore. Most of them originally came from England, so the best hope is that a manufacturer over there might still make them.

Brad

MillinerJan

New in Town
That's it! Thanks so much. I knew you guys would know. Any recommendations on whether or not the owner should try to have it replaced by anyone? Or do I understand no one has this type sweatband anymore? Any other replacement you deem worth if this is not available?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda