Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweeney Todd

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
deadpandiva said:
Is this more graphicaly violent then say Sin City? My sister wants me to see this but I have a really weak stomach and get dry heeves at even the thought of gore.

O, god no...not even close. The gore in Sweeney is dramatic, very stylized, and emotional rather than over-the-top violent. When I talked to my mom about it last night, she was saying how she'd seen far worse, in movies like Braveheart and The Departed, because those movies feel more real, more possible, more raw. The blood spilled by Sweeney has an emotional effect for the audience and him more than dirty, angry violence seen in many other films. I'm not a fan of violent movies--as much as I admire Gangs of New York, I don't think I could ever watch the film again. Sweeney is a work of art, and a musical at that, so I wasn't as disturbed...if that makes any sense!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much for the info. Most people don't seem to know how to answer that question. I know I am a wuss but it's really important to me.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth, I only made it about ten minutes into Sin City before I popped it out of the DVD player in disgust. (OTOH, I think Gangs of New York is a near-masterpiece.)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Here Miss Nash:

229381_68.jpg

Though most of it's covered by her hair! :eek:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I loved this film. I never saw the show so I went into it with no preconceptions. I thought the actors were great and I love Tim Burton’s visual style. My favorite scene was “By the Sea”—just pure Burton through and through. I’d buy a poster of the three of them sitting on the beach. I had completely forgotten about the twist at the end (how, I don’t know) and I found it genuinely scary at points, the last 20 minutes particularly. It certainly was bloody, but I thought it served the plot so it didn’t bother me (although I did hide my eyes several times). The final scene was fascinating.

It was fun to look at all of the set dressing (the debauched roman murals in Turpin’s library, and does Turpin remove the same painting of Susannah and the Elders that Norman Bates does in Psycho?). As for date, from the costumes I’d guess that the main action took place in the late 1860s/1870 with the flashbacks in 1850-1855.

I’m glad I saw it on the big screen, I may well go again.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
My favorite scene was “By the Sea”—just pure Burton through and through. I’d buy a poster of the three of them sitting on the beach.

Agreed! :eusa_clap

Nashoba

One Too Many
ha - HA that's IT Pink. Sigh, I love that dress....think any of the costume makers will swipe it for the halloween portion of the pattern catalogues? ahh sadly probably not....

Oh I loved the beach scenes...that even made my husband laugh, mostly because of the way Depp reacted to everything she said....very 'typical' in his mind...heck he does that to me...I thought it was hilarious. Sadly I'll probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD to see it again, he's not into seeing movies twice, especially when he didn't really enjoy it the first time and I hate going to movies alone

Doh!

One Too Many
Saw it today and loved it. Definitely Burton's best work in years, and the leads' voices are quite good for the material. Sure, it's gory but as others have stated, it's pretty stylized so wasn't as disturbing as it could've been otherwise.

I'm only slightly bugged at the ending, in which a certain character is left in the room by themself and doesn't realize their part in all of the madness that preceded.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Doh! said:
Saw it today and loved it. Definitely Burton's best work in years, and the leads' voices are quite good for the material. Sure, it's gory but as others have stated, it's pretty stylized so wasn't as disturbing as it could've been otherwise.

I'm only slightly bugged at the ending, in which a certain character is left in the room by themself and doesn't realize their part in all of the madness that preceded.

trying to figure out which person...final scene? Or before he goes down to the bakehouse scene? Because I'm pretty sure the one in the final scene in the bakhouse realized their part, but I'm thinking that if you're talking about the character up in the shop, yeah, they probably didn't realize theirs...

broadway

New in Town
don't like blood in a musical

never liked sweeney todd
just too heavy
the revenge aspect annoys me
could never warm up to it
never inspired me
assasins was the same way
never, never inspired me
great works inspire people
listen to fiddler on the roof
who can care about such demons

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
The Mister and I went to see it today. We did not like it. (Johnny's my secret boyfriend, but even my love of him couldn't make me like this film.)

I want my $16.50 and 2 hours back. :(

Doh!

One Too Many
Nashoba said:
trying to figure out which person...final scene? Or before he goes down to the bakehouse scene? Because I'm pretty sure the one in the final scene in the bakhouse realized their part, but I'm thinking that if you're talking about the character up in the shop, yeah, they probably didn't realize theirs...

Here's what I'm talking about (highlight to read):

His daughter up in the barbershop at the end. She didn't know that it was her father doing the killing -- and he didn't know the "lad" was his daughter. Had either been aware, the ending would have been even more tragic.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Doh: Ok, I thought that might be what you meant when I re-read it. Yes, that would have been much more tragic. but indeed interesting. It kind of makes you wonder if the other party involved with that character would explain...

Broadway: there are many plots that contain revenge aspects that are inspiring. They are no less inspiring than works like Fiddler if you look below the surface. Even Les Miserables has revenge aspects to it. Most tragedies involve some form of revenge and Sweeney Todd is most definately a tragedy. Fiddler is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Sweeney Todd, it's a completely different kind of story. I'm not discounting your opinion quite the opposite, I'm merely trying to point out that one can be inspired even by the dark tragedies presented in this story. For me, it's an inspiration and insight into the depths that we can fall when we allow ourselves to become consumed by something. It's a warning to all about the very nature of human behavior.
If I remember correctly Assassins was a comedy, it's been a really long time since I've seen it, but I can't remember any specific revenge in it..

Feraud

Bartender
I recently saw Sweeny Todd. Burton is retreading old ground with the visuals. We have seen Depp in this wild haired, leather clad incarnation before. The singing was so-so, and the story was weak, and H.B. Carter was her usual wacky (utterly boring) character.
I thought it was just "o.k.", not great nor too horrible.
Definitely not Burton's best which would include Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, and Big Fish, imho.

Newteh

New in Town
I'm going to the London premiere of Sweeney Todd which I was lucky enough to get tickets for. It's a red carpet affair, I may even meet someone famous.

Do I wear my Fedora? Or will someone think I'm Johnny Depp lol.

Regards,

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Pink Dahlia said:
My favorite Mrs. Lovett costume probably because of the hat. ;)

20071008_helena01.jpg

evil.jpg

Could anyone place the time period of this film? I'm thinking early 1900s. Yes? No?

The costumes are from the late 1860's to early 1870's (the scene on the pier in the dream sequence were abt 1872), looking from the background, who is definately more period than the main actors with the exception of Johanna. I adored all the costumes. I really liked Mrs. Lovett's costumes but they were fantastical gothic concotions rather than period pieces. No one wore corsets on the outside of their clothing. Except maybe stage actresses. The flashback in the beginning of the movie was from the 1840's, and I adored the dress his wife wore!

Really great movie. Really great visually. Took me a little while to get into the singing because I kept seeing Depp as Jack Sparrow. Hehe. But I really liked it overall.

It was way too gorey for me. I dug my head many times into Matt's chest to avoid seeing the splattering blood. It didn't look real but it was gross nonetheless.

The dream sequence was my favorite. I want all the dresses on the pier. And the cute little hat Pink Dahlia mentioned.

Here's some costume shots from Costumers Guide:
6.jpg

3.jpg

0.jpg

b_16230.jpg

sweeneytr01_0843.jpg

7.jpg

sweeneytr01_0187.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Wow, great info and pictures, thanks Lauren! I agree about the blood! Even though it looked fake, it was very real! I did enjoy the movie, especially the costumes but I doubt I'd watch it again. I'll stick with Scissorhands and Big Fish :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24