Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T. Jones Custom Hats, Repairs, and Conversions

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I am working with a guy in Missouri that is making flanges/blocks...CNC machined from wood. He is showing me samples of his version of #19 profile. I will probably ordering the next few weeks once I know his pricing. If you want I will let you know my opinion on them once complete.
Thank you Robert. That'll be great. I appreciate that. I have one #19 flange for a 7 1/4 that I got from Mark Havens before he suddenly passed away. I also have three #510s for 7 1/8, 7 1/4, and 7 3/8 that I also got from him. They're all excellent quality. I use the #19 and #510 all the time. I really liked his stuff. After Mark passed I think the guy who made his blocks and flanges took the business over. I don't know if he's still keeping the going or not. But yeah, I'd appreciate you letting me know what you think of that guy's work and pricing. Thank you, Robert.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJCHRC - is open for business! Congrats!

Terry over the past years I have watched your shared projects with interest. I saw and was witness to your curiosity morphing into excellent craftsmanship of the conversions you have shared. Bringing that craftsmanship and passion will stead you well sir.

I wish you best in all your future efforts.

Eric -
Thank you Eric. That's really appreciated!

Thank you Robert. That'll be great. I appreciate that. I have one #19 flange for a 7 1/4 that I got from Mark Havens before he suddenly passed away. I also have three #510s for 7 1/8, 7 1/4, and 7 3/8 that I also got from him. They're all excellent quality. I use the #19 and #510 all the time. I really liked his stuff. After Mark passed I think the guy who made his blocks and flanges took the business over. I don't know if he's still keeping the going or not. But yeah, I'd appreciate you letting me know what you think of that guy's work and pricing. Thank you, Robert.
I ordered a set of flanges from the folks that took over from Mark (I have one of his hats....one of nicest made hats in my collection). I waited 8 months for the flanges and they still could not give me a firm delivery date so I cancelled. Blocks are not a problem these days but the hunt for affordable flanges with a decent delivery continues. The set of 19's I have are 2 5/8" but I find I can use them for 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". It alters the cupping some but is still workable. The thought of having a flange in each size, in both LO and Reg Oval and then in 1/4" increments becomes a very expensive proposition. Then when you add in the varying degrees of cupping from deep to almost flat in works out to about 20+ flanges for each size block you have times two for the different ovals. It is daunting.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
In my few short years doing hat restorations I have taken on some "interesting" projects. I take on all commissions, turning nothing away. From 30 year old Akubras so disgustingly dirty I would only handle it with gloves, a 1960's fedora bought when the owner was a long haired hippie, to last week's refurb of a 42 year old wool Scout's hat. Folks bring me their tired, old & even disgustingly filthy hats seeking a new life for, what to them, is a very old friend.

Usually it has great sentimental value as they resist my words advising them to throw it out and start anew and they want to give it more life. These hats hold great memories for the owner and thus are not ready to let them go. It is so very satisfying to me to be able to 'rescue' these hats and return them to at least a semblance of wearability. It is a fun and challenging journey. Welcome to it and I look forward to viewing some of the interesting commissions and challenges that will come up for you.
Thank you, Robert. I appreciate the encouragement.

Last edited:
Congrats, Terry and best of success. Good of you to take that step; the work has been at a professional level for a long time now.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Congratulations Terry! Your refurbs are inspirational and show what is possible with talent and the right tools. I wish you all the best and can’t wait to see what you come up with in the future.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Congratulations, Terry! This has been a long time coming - I've enjoyed watching all your projects over the last few years. I hope this turns out to be an enjoyable endeavor that also puts a little jingle in your pocket at the same time. Good luck!!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations Terry! Your refurbs are inspirational and show what is possible with talent and the right tools. I wish you all the best and can’t wait to see what you come up with in the future.
Thank you buddy! Very much appreciated.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you buddy. I think we
Congratulations, Terry! This has been a long time coming - I've enjoyed watching all your projects over the last few years. I hope this turns out to be an enjoyable endeavor that also puts a little jingle in your pocket at the same time. Good luck!!
Thank you buddy. I appreciate that. Thank you. These days, I think we can all use some jingle in our pockets, plus some of that folding stuff too!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Blocked and soon to be Westerns. The lighter colored one is a Resistol Western that will be going to a fellow lounger, @deadlyhandsome (Brent), when completed. It sports a 6 inch open crown that's been reblocked and sized up on a #52. The brim width is at 3 1/2 inches.

The other one, in the Steel color, is from a new raw felt body. It, too, sports a 6 inch open crown with a 4 inch brim width.

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_153259004.jpg
    IMG_20230904_153259004.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230904_121329495.jpg
    IMG_20230904_121329495.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member