Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taper question

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I'm a fairly big guy - around 6'3" and 240 lbs. I'm starting to think that the reason I tend to fall out of love with hats I buy is that I need to switch to hats with little or no taper in the crown (even if I lose a few pounds). Does that make sense?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm a fairly big guy - around 6'3" and 240 lbs. I'm starting to think that the reason I tend to fall out of love with hats I buy is that I need to switch to hats with little or no taper in the crown (even if I lose a few pounds). Does that make sense?

Me too but it has nothing to do w my height or weight. Just liking a full even crown w/o that "pointy effect."

tommyK

One Too Many
$.02
Some of these rules of size and shape seem somewhat subjective to me. I don't like tapered crowns so I think they look bad on everyone regardless of their size and shape. I think full crowns and big brims look good on everyone. You're a pretty big guy so I say, if you like, get a proportionally big hat.

Remember the effect of symmetry on what is appealing to the eye, golden ratio & all that.
A hat brim makes a line of demarcation so to speak. What is above it needs to be in balance what is below.
Most of us have broad faces, so a short & tapered crown above isn't in balance with our mugs below.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's absolutely correct. That's why I stay away from Borsalinos. A tapered hat is especially unsuitable for anyone with a wide face: I have a large Celtic head and look like Zippy the Pinhead in one or even in a center-dent.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
A hat brim makes a line of demarcation so to speak. What is above it needs to be in balance what is below.
Most of us have broad faces, so a short & tapered crown above isn't in balance with our mugs below.

I agree. But just to clarify, visual balance often involves several dimensions, some of them not structural or geometric. For example, color/darkness and texture. Also, while a low crown and a tall crown could taper to the same span or crease up top, by virtue of being taller, the sides will rise at a steeper angle giving the appearance of a gentler taper.

I find that I like my tall crown hats to have minimal taper. Aesthetically, this is what appeals to me. However, for a trilby of narrow-brim fedora worn casually, more taper comes across as more playful, less serious.

Different hats for different moods, I say.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I certainly don't want to look like a Pilgrim or a Leprechaun and I especially don't want to look like a Dunce, wearing a Dunce Cap. I look stupid enuff.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
With apologies to any fans out there, I just can't take a website presuming to call itself the "art of manliness" seriously. Besides, I don't know how the guy could claim to create such a sight without consulting me first . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany