Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zaika said:
finally. my tattoo is finished.

2108004814_bcebef69a5.jpg

Lovely!

Dr Doran

The Wingnut said:
edit: I think it would be more appropriate to say that recent generations have not known hardship. Most of their lives have been without significant struggle or conflict. They have not had to literally fight for their lives or ideals or the continuance thereof, they are instead involved in a war of words and images. When one has to take up arms to defend one's way of life, life takes on a completely different meaning and the trivial issues fall by the wayside. An absence of such trial and hardship leaves a person to find meaning and reason in life through different avenues.

As a historian, I am in full agreement.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Generational hardship is different from personal hardship, and this lack of generational hardship seems to speak solely to the American middle-class.

Dr Doran

Viola said:
Generational hardship is different from personal hardship, and this lack of generational hardship seems to speak solely to the American middle-class.

Which grew immensely after WW2 until unprecedented numbers of ordinary people could go to college, own a car, eat handsomely, raise children, and until the 1980s, often even support a family on a single income.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:
That first one HAS to be a joke right? He says she's going to scare the baby. Is that her baby? If so total joke. Now I do not have any children but I've heard getting a tattoo is not even a fraction as painful as childbirth.

You know I bet those girls walk around all bad talking up their tattoos. Ugh. I'm disgusted. People like that should NOT get tattooed.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt. It's a flesh wound. But I have never behaved in such an undignified manner. Buck up or don't get 'em. Period. The end.
I've had two offspring. 1 I had to to get drugs, 1 I did not. Childbirthd hurts even with drugs. Period.

Tats I have had 4, so them not so much compared to it. And I want more, need to add to them, they need detail.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Which grew immensely after WW2 until unprecedented numbers of ordinary people could go to college, own a car, eat handsomely, raise children, and until the 1980s, often even support a family on a single income.

I'm just saying that addressing an entire generation as "did not know any hardship" is disrespectful to a lot of the kids I grew up with and is a pretty huge generalization as it seems to say the world = two parent middle-class American homes.

I'd stack the ravages of crack cocaine against Vietnam any day.

Dr Doran

Viola said:
I'm just saying that addressing an entire generation as "did not know any hardship" is disrespectful to a lot of the kids I grew up with and is a pretty huge generalization as it seems to say the world = two parent middle-class American homes.

I'd stack the ravages of crack cocaine against Vietnam any day.

:eek:fftopic: Having lived many years in very, very bad neighborhoods full of crack, and having smoked it myself, I can attest: you can choose whether to smoke crack. You can choose whether to discipline your children or not. You can choose whether or not to have children if you do not have the monetary means and personnel (such as a spouse who will stick around) to raise them responsibly.

If you have already signed up, or been drafted, it is rather difficult to say "I do not want to get into this here hail of bullets."

Viola

Call Me a Cab
You can choose not to smoke it but best of luck choosing not to get robbed to fund someone else's habit, or picking the right parents so you don't have to grow up raised by crackheads, or shot by accident in a dealers' quarrel.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
In Portland, tattoos are common as dirt, it seems. I'm almost surprised when I meet people in my age range without them. Of course, being tangetial to a number of subcultures, I'm affected by that as well. I think to an extent anymore, tattoos kind of go with classic style. I have three myself, all 40's motifs. One on each shoulder (both unfinished) and on my lower leg, which needs repair. They probably won't be my last, but I'll need to have them all finished before thinking about other work.

I don't feel make me any less classically 40's, I'm still a purist in most ever other way.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Tattoos are as vintage as mom's apple pie.
There is never a need to defend or explain self expression. :)

No, you're quite right - but they did disappoint some of the folks I buy from at the antique show here in town.

I very much like the arrow pierced heart on that last page of flash, but my two shoulder tats are hearts, so the next one needs to be something different. I'm kind of thinking of something based on the 30's keyhole Elvgren that is so well-known, you know, the one that frames the silhouette of the girl undressing? (Geez, see, I get ahead of myself!)

zaika

One Too Many
pdxvintagette said:
No, you're quite right - but they did disappoint some of the folks I buy from at the antique show here in town.

I very much like the arrow pierced heart on that last page of flash, but my two shoulder tats are hearts, so the next one needs to be something different. I'm kind of thinking of something based on the 30's keyhole Elvgren that is so well-known, you know, the one that frames the silhouette of the girl undressing? (Geez, see, I get ahead of myself!)

i want your glasses.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
They came from Decades, but he doesn't have such a grand selection anymore. I have a spare pair of cat eyes that don't look good on me, though, and I got them at an estate sale for just a buck... so, should I meet up with you soon, you ought to try them on! Otherwise, I recommend talking to William at Hollywood Vintage on Sandy, his selection of vintage frames is fantastic.

zaika

One Too Many
volatile said:
I'm sad that not one person enjoyed my copious ink...

on no. don't be sad!! i just read back and saw your pics... don't remember seeing them...maybe they didn't show up or something...because you can't miss those. your work is amazing and vibrant. how long have you had them? i hope my color stays as vibrant...
i have to say that the pen shoved through your neck is my favorite. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou