Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TCM - Where should they cut it off?

Feraud

Bartender
Rooster said:
I'm with you Hem. Everything after LOA isn't worth watching.;)
Lawrence came out in '62. This means we have to exclude High and Low from 1963! :eusa_doh:

You guys are going to drive me batty with this thread! ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
Lawrence came out in '62. This means we have to exclude High and Low from 1963! :eusa_doh:

You guys are going to drive me batty with this thread! ;)
Just from one channel, my friend. You can watch High and Low on AMC or Retroplex. ;) lol

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Just from one channel, my friend. You can watch High and Low on AMC or Retroplex. ;) lol
Blah, never!
AMC is an amazing channel in their ability to destory great films by adding commercials.
In thinking about it, I would prefer TCM show Sister Act every now and again than go the AMC route.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
Blah, never!
AMC is an amazing channel in their ability to destory great films by adding commercials.
In thinking about it, I would prefer TCM show Sister Act every now and again than go the AMC route.
I believe Whoopie Goldberg is their "Star of the Month" next month. It was going to be "Orson Welles" but they wanted to be able to show "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Ghost" in Primetime, along with the classic, "Sister Act." lol

Because, Feraud, "The love you have inside, you get to take it with you."

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Oh the heck with it, why don't they just show any movie from any year that they wantonly pull off of a shelf and call it "classic"; Brighton Beach Memoirs anyone?????:eek:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The problem with a cutoff date is that they didn't suddenly change the way movies were made. For instance, I think "The Pianist" (c. 2000) fits the classic style better than Doris Day romantic comedies do.

Rafter

Suspended
Feraud said:
..and June should be Jennifer Lopez month. :eusa_doh:
Just a reminder....the station is called T"C"M, Turner "Classic" Movies!
Jennifer Lopez is a "classic" beauty. However, her movie repotoire is far from classic.:eusa_doh:

Lincsong said:
Oh the heck with it, why don't they just show any movie from any year......Brighton Beach Memoirs anyone?????:eek:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off anyone???....and June should be Mathew Broderick month.:eusa_doh:
Wait a minute, perhaps June should be Neil Simon month!

Now you're talking about some real movie classics.
The standout in this group of films has to be
"The Cheap Detective"!
cheap.gif

The Heartbreak Kid, comes in a close second.
716.jpg

Lost in Yonkers (1993)
Broadway Bound (1992)
The Marrying Man (1991)
Biloxi Blues (1988)
Brighton Beach Memoirs (1986)
The Slugger's Wife (1985)
The Lonely Guy (1984)
Max Dugan Returns (1983)
I Ought to Be in Pictures (1982)
Only When I Laugh (1981)
Seems Like Old Times (1980)
Chapter Two (1979)
California Suite (1978)
The Good Doctor (1978)
The Cheap Detective (1978)
The Goodbye Girl (1977)
Murder by Death (1976)
The Sunshine Boys (1975)
The Prisoner of Second Avenue
The Heartbreak Kid (1972)
Last of the Red Hot Lovers (1972)
Plaza Suite (1971)
The Odd Couple (1970)
The Out of Towners (1970)
Sweet Charity (1969)
The Odd Couple (1968)
Barefoot in the Park (1967)
Come Blow Your Horn (1963)
......I've seen this one many times....and it is a classic.
Alan (Frank Sinatra) is a thirty-nine year old playboy who, to his parents' chagrin, remains unmarried (Sinatra was in fact bewigged and fifty-one). His kid brother Buddy (Tony Bill) leaves his parent's home in Yonkers and joins Alan in his Manhattan bachelor apartment. Drinks, dames and snappy clothes ensue. :eusa_clap
121210.jpg

Because this is 1963, Frank thinks it's the height of cool to shave with an electric razor, use roll-on deodorant and furnish his kitchen in orange plastic. Impressively for 1963, he has a car phone and a remote control device to work his stereo, but were the snapbrim hat and the plaid raincoat REALLY the last word in style in the era of the Rolling Stones?lol

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Come Blow Your Horn is an awesome film. I wish it was on DVD.:( I really like this one.

Broadway Bound and Lost in Yonkers were actually made into films??????:eek: I missed both.:eusa_doh: How did that happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW