Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell Us About Your First Date

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Considering today is Valentine’s Day and all, I thought a thread titled “Tell Us About Your First Date” may be of interest. It could be about your actual “first” date as a teenager, or the first date with your present (or former, for that matter) spouse/mate/partner, etc. Maybe it was an adventure, maybe a romantic evening, or maybe it was a complete and total disaster. Anyway, I thought it would be an interesting topic. Here’s my contribution:

In the mid-1980s, I found myself a single Dad raising two small boys by myself. We had great fun together, but I was looking for some adult companionship. At the time I was into all kinds of outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, backpacking, sea kayaking, and rock climbing. There was this nice young woman that worked at the same hospital where I worked who always seemed fun to be around, so I asked her out for a date.

For our first date I took her rock climbing. Why she said yes I’ll never know, but she did and off we went. We hiked from Table Rock out across the Chimneys and then out to near the Amphitheater area of the Linville Gorge (Note: you really should Google “Linville Gorge” to fully understand just how rugged this area is). Oh, by the way, I should mention this was her FIRST time rock climbing.

After a three or so mile hike from Table Rock, to reach the Camel itself you have to go through a decent gully. The decent gully to the Camel is a boulder-strewn crack in a sheer rock face that is just a little less than vertical. To safely get down (then back up on the way out) you have to set ropes. After much effort, we reached the base of the Camel. The Camel is an independent, free-standing rock spire in the Linville Gorge that is a little over 120 feet from base to top at its lowest point. It’s about 50 feet in length and only about 10 feet wide. There are two distinct tops to the single rock formation, which viewed from a distance look like the humps on a camel’s back. Anyway, on with the story.

We roped-up, I gave her a crash course in climbing and belaying, and off we went. I lead the climb, and she followed up on my belay from the top. It was probably a good thing I didn’t fall while leading the climb, but at the time who thinks about little things like that. As she was climbing, she had her first experience with “sewing machine legs” (that involuntary twitching caused be being scared sh*#less). At one point in the climb, she reached a spot where she didn’t think she could go any further. I told her to take her right foot and put it on the rock flake just below her ear. I won’t say here what her reply was, but, eventually, I convinced her to give it a try and she was able to continue on up the rock to the top of the Camel.

The view from the top of this climb is remarkable. You have an unobstructed, panoramic view of the Linville Gorge, while being perched high in the air on what feels like the smallest of area. It’s a great place to be. We had a great time looking around and talking about how much fun and rewarding rock climbing was. Then, from out of my knapsack I pull a bottle of Champagne, a couple apples and some cheese. I figured we needed to celebrate her first time rock climbing. Well, as they say, the rest is history …

Oh, by the way, a year after that first date we were married. We still enjoy getting out and doing crazy things together, although the rock climbing part is now left to just a very fond memory (and often told story).

On the top of The Camel, 1987.

And on Shortoff Mountain on the east rim of the Linville Gorge, 2015.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My first official date with hubby was April 23, 2005. We'd met about a week before at the only honky-tonk bar in town, and instantly hit it off. He'd moved up here from Texas, and was working on a Seattle-based fishing boat that worked out of Dutch Harbor, Alaska. It was off-season for him, but as he was a deck hand he lived onboard the Northern Victor (previously a Victory class ship turned into a processing factory). I picked him up at the ship, drove north to my favorite beach, and bought him fish-n-chips for lunch. We sat on the beach & talked, watched people fly kites, and watched the ferries come and go. We talked and laughed for about 8 hours (including dinner, too) before I took him back to the ship. He worked one more season in Alaska after that. He realized that being with me was more fun than the adventure of working in Alaska. He was right! :)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Meeting at a honky-tonk - the start of a beautiful relationship.

I didn't know it, but he'd seen me several months before that. He and a buddy attended the New Year's Eve show at The Little Red Hen (the bar), and he saw me dancing. He thought I was cute - pigtails, boots and all. But he didn't ask me to dance that night. He shipped out for another season in Alaska, and when he came back into town he went back to The Hen. That happened to be April 15. I was supposed to meet a bunch of girlfriends there, but none of them showed up. Instead, a stranger in well worn boots (hubby) asked me to dance. We ended up dancing all night long. He left the next morning for a week long vacation in Hawaii. We talked on the phone for 6+ hours that week while he was gone. And then we had our first date.

While he was away for his next (and final) season of fishing, we wrote one another letters. That's how we really got to know one another, and how we fell in love... through the written word. He wrote me every day and numbered the envelopes so I'd read them in order. They went from his ship anchored in Beaver Inlet, by a small boat to Dutch Harbor, were loaded on a small plane that took them to Anchorage, and then to Seattle, and then to me. The reverse was true for the letters and care packages I sent him. You can imagine what condition the loaf of banana bread was in when it sat on the dock in Dutch Harbor for two weeks waiting to be delivered to his boat. :( He scraped the mold off and ate it anyway! We still have the boxes of letters from our blooming romance. His smells a bit fishy. It adds to the charm and memories of that time in our life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24