Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

While tuberculosis is a rare but still used term, its doppelgänger (also a disappearing term) "consumption" is disappearing. Before they found a cure for TB, people were dying of consumption - at least in 19th Century novels - all the time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The vapors is what lace-curtain Irish ladies got when their daughters were seen marching in an IWW parade next to a bunch of bohunks. The grippe is indeed an archaic name for the flu.

We also used to talk about waking up with a "dark brown taste" in our mouths -- a sign of oncoming nausea. The remedy for dark-brown-taste was a spoonful of warm Coca-Cola syrup, poured out of a medicine bottle filled at the drug store fountain by the pharmacist.

The vapors is what lace-curtain Irish ladies got when their daughters were seen marching in an IWW parade next to a bunch of bohunks. The grippe is indeed an archaic name for the flu.

We also used to talk about waking up with a "dark brown taste" in our mouths -- a sign of oncoming nausea. The remedy for dark-brown-taste was a spoonful of warm Coca-Cola syrup, poured out of a medicine bottle filled at the drug store fountain by the pharmacist.

Where I'm from, the remedy for everything...the grippe, consumption, hydrophobia, syphilis...whatever ailed you...was a spoonful of honey dissolved in a shot of Jack Daniel's.

Germany says still "die Grippe". ;)
But every year, there is the usual fearmongering about Influenza. But only less got it. I don't use the charge-free annual Influenza-virus vaccination. It's so advertised, it stinks. ;)

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Jack Daniel's or Four Roses (which would have been more likely) or anything else with alcohol would never have been allowed at our house. But I did hear mention of Hadacol a lot when I was little. I think it was considered a "tonic," whatever a tonic is, but it manage to develop quite a following in places that otherwise did not permit anything alcoholic. Such things have a long history in this country and indeed, around the world. Good for all ailments man or beast and makes the coat sleek and shiny, guaranteed not to make your facial features change or turn red.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Jack Daniel's or Four Roses (which would have been more likely) or anything else with alcohol would never have been allowed at our house. But I did hear mention of Hadacol a lot when I was little. I think it was considered a "tonic," whatever a tonic is, but it manage to develop quite a following in places that otherwise did not permit anything alcoholic. Such things have a long history in this country and indeed, around the world. Good for all ailments man or beast and makes the coat sleek and shiny, guaranteed not to make your facial features change or turn red.

My mother used to dose me with a product called "Father John's Medicine," which was a bitter syrup made of cod liver oil seasoned with gentian root and other unspeakable things. I don't know if it had any alcohol in it or not, but she also gave me paregoric to provide the necessary narcotic kick.

The Jack was only for "medicinal purposes". It didn't count as long as no one saw you go in the liquor store.

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
Was anyone ever told to make sure that they wore clean underwear, in case they were ever involved in an accident? Or was that advice unique to my mother?

I've always heard dress like you're going to meet the love of your life sometime today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy