Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Better to do a slow burn than blow your top.

Edgar+3-shot+slow+burn.jpg

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
Reminds me of when Conan and Maya Rudolph were discussing some of the more opaque phrases in classic movies. In particular from Sweet Smell of Success, "The cat's in the bag, the bag's in the river."

Reminds me of when Conan and Maya Rudolph were discussing some of the more opaque phrases in classic movies. In particular from Sweet Smell of Success, "The cat's in the bag, the bag's in the river."

How awesome is Maya Rudolph for keeping TCM on 24/7 in her kitchen so that her kids "absorb" it? Enough with the books, classical music and all those other child pedagogical advice - a full-on TCM education for kids. Love it.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone ever get referred to as a "stuffed shirt?" They'd be the ones you'd like to get some dirt on. Sadly, though, life isn't like Mission Impossible. It's next to impossible to actually embarrass some people these days.

That also remind me of the saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness." But sometimes cleanliness is next to impossible.

Does anyone ever get referred to as a "stuffed shirt?" They'd be the ones you'd like to get some dirt on. Sadly, though, life isn't like Mission Impossible. It's next to impossible to actually embarrass some people these days.

I'm fond of that expression myself, although I don't use it with great frequency. Best to save it for the truly deserving.

It's similar to but distinct from "empty suit," which is perhaps an even more biting put-down.

Both expressions are only metaphorically about attire. Still, we've all known people whose attire is a tip-off that they might very well belong in either or both categories. I can appreciate a well put-together sartorial presentation. I got dozens of interesting vintage suits and jackets, etc. myself. Scores of ties older than I am. And so many hats I've lost count. But the last thing a person wishing to be taken seriously ought to do is let his clothes wear him.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
That's one expression I've never heard before. Sounds almost like a legal expression.

Supposedly you should never notice a well-dressed man's clothes, only that he is well-dressed. Sounds like it would be a trick to pull off. One does see a lot of well-dressed men (and women) in old movies but chances are, that couldn't be taken as typical. I always liked the way William Powell dressed (or was dressed) in the Thin Man series. Someone commented though, that Paul Henreid in Casablanca was the first person who ever escaped from a concentration camp wearing a Palm Beach suit.

Supposedly you should never notice a well-dressed man's clothes, only that he is well-dressed. Sounds like it would be a trick to pull off. One does see a lot of well-dressed men (and women) in old movies but chances are, that couldn't be taken as typical. I always liked the way William Powell dressed (or was dressed) in the Thin Man series. Someone commented though, that Paul Henreid in Casablanca was the first person who ever escaped from a concentration camp wearing a Palm Beach suit.

Well, there's a reason they call it "the fantasy factory."

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

That also remind me of the saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness." But sometimes cleanliness is next to impossible.
Stuffed shirt, or "all hat, no cattle."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner