Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks, Art!

Peaceful John

New in Town
Friends,

A year ago I bought a "custom" hat that didn't fit properly. I returned it, they did what they could, and sent it back with a note that the hat had been made by an apprentice and that he'd been let go. But it still didn't fit.

A week ago I contacted Art Fawcett of VS Custom Hats http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com who agreed to take a look and see what could be done. Just got the hat back this moment and, for the first time, it fits. It's always harder to repair someone else's another's mistake than it is to do it right yourself, and I'm very grateful to Art for his fine job.

Cordially,
Peaceful John

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's great that Art could help you out, but I'm really curious as to why a custom hat would not fit properly and why the seller wouldn't fix the problem - even if someone else there had made it, and regardless of how many times it took him.

Oh, and let's see some photos!

warbird

One Too Many
Great news for you thanks to Art. But that is just bad news for that other hatmaker. I don't understand why it wasn't right the second time even.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I am just back into this world of cover and already because of this forum have found many places to spend my money. Art Fawcett is at the top of the list in the custom realm because of examples like this.

animator

One of the Regulars
Art is a fine craftsman and a fantastic gentleman to deal with.

I also would be interested in the name of the shop that produces a custom hat that doesn't fit. That information could save some people an expensive problem.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Good advice from everyone.

Also....You should NOT take this lying down! (...Perhaps Standing Up since we're talking headgear.) At the very least, you should contact the original hatmaker and inform him that Art fixed his problem.

Then tell him what this cost you and request a refund for that amount. As much as I dislike the word blackmail, inform him that you will spread the word if a refund is not forthcoming. Just make sure the information (if disseminated) is absolutely true and can be supported.

Then give us some hints so we know who not to use.

Good luck and...ART does it again! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Cool...Thanks for the words John.
Gent's , this was so easy I'm embarrassed this even came up. John ordered from his hatter a 7 3/8 Long oval which is what was made, however, after talking to John I suspected he is an extra long oval and sure enough, after putting a stretcher into it over last weekend, it fit fine. No big deal.

It DOES emphasize a distinction that isn't often understood and in fact is misused in my opinion. "Custom" can mean anything. You can buy a wool Scala, put a different ribbon on it and BINGO..you have a "Custom" which, unless completely educated in hats, would seem to be the same thing that I do. Those of you that have responded to this thread already know, I'm NOT a custom hatter. I am a bespoke hatter, meaning that I don't build a hat to size, but rather build the hat to your specific head, making it a true "custom".
It seems to me that if it's just built to a measurement and sat on the shelf, it can't be a custom.

Call it a pet peeve of mine.:(

I can see how a competent, reputable hatter could make a hat that doesn't fit well, especially for a customer he his dealing with over some distance. Not everyone uses a tailor's tape the same way, or even a conformer, for that matter. Some might adjust the measuring device(s) too tightly, or too loosely.

But I concur that the original maker should have made it right, and I'm left to wonder why he didn't. Did it fit at all better after you returned it the first time?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
Cool...Thanks for the words John.
Gent's , this was so easy I'm embarrassed this even came up. John ordered from his hatter a 7 3/8 Long oval which is what was made, however, after talking to John I suspected he is an extra long oval and sure enough, after putting a stretcher into it over last weekend, it fit fine. No big deal.

It DOES emphasize a distinction that isn't often understood and in fact is misused in my opinion. "Custom" can mean anything. You can buy a wool Scala, put a different ribbon on it and BINGO..you have a "Custom" which, unless completely educated in hats, would seem to be the same thing that I do. Those of you that have responded to this thread already know, I'm NOT a custom hatter. I am a bespoke hatter, meaning that I don't build a hat to size, but rather build the hat to your specific head, making it a true "custom".
It seems to me that if it's just built to a measurement and sat on the shelf, it can't be a custom.

Call it a pet peeve of mine.:(

I like the same breed of peeve myself.

And don't be embarrassed because the solution was simple. Quality is in the small details, my friend. And that includes service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot