Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thankyou, and I really mean it

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

Foofoogal

Banned
23SkidooWithYou
-------
you really made me laugh. I had just posted about a high school reunion on the OB thread. Same thing.
For the record I have the most gorgeous best friend. When I say gorgeous I mean it. When she walks in a room boys from 10 to 100 take a gander. Always and everywhere.
Even though she is gorgeous she hates her thumbs and collarbone.
Really and truly. Over the years she has learned to live with them lol but just shows most all have something they want to change. I would love to be taller or at least have very long legs.
It is good the FL is about making the best of what we have and accepting ourselves for who we are.
Very healthy indeed.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I only recently started feeling emboldened to start dressing in accordance with my lifelong interest in vintage clothing and eras since I found this place. I'm 33. My real-life friends still do things like buy me flip-flops, but here I felt supported in doing something that others I know consider weird or even subversive. This place is important because of that sense of welcoming and community. I'm happy that it's here for me, Annie, and others who need it and find fun or information here. So, thanks from me, too, to everyone who runs this joint or just shows up from time to time.

D

Deleted member 12480

i'm so please at the reaction so far, and the people who are sharing when they might not have before! Xx

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
:eusa_clap I applaud you for the realization that I didn't personally find til my 30s. Not to say that those voices don't whisper to me every once in a while, but it's rare and manageable. One of my favorite blogs just posted this yesterday and I thought of this thread and you. If I could encourage every woman who's path I cross to read it I would. Actually, I think I will.
http://galadarling.com/article/how-to-practice-major-mega-supreme-body-love-daily

Loren Taylor

New in Town
Annie,
I can totally relate to you! I'm 16 and until I found this forum and the whole 40's style I was so confused and disgusted with myself because I didn't look like all the other girls I saw. The FL changed my whole outlook on femininity and beauty. I no longer feel like I have to be bleach blonde and super tanned to be beautiful anymore. That said I know how hard it is (especially in highschool!!) to stand out from the crowd and do your own thing.. so I just want to say how awsome I think it is that you aren't afraid to be yourself! :)

xx Loren

D

Deleted member 12480

loren,
Thats a lovely story - how did you find FL?
Xxx

Loren Taylor

New in Town
I found it while I was searching for 1940's hair how-to's. The moment I saw all these lovely ladies looking so chic and confident in their forties do's and dresses it was love at first sight! :)

Miss Molly

New in Town
Annie I felt exactly the same way when I found the FL! Not just about my looks but about my entire personality.

As a young teenager my entire world seemed to revolve around fashion and trends and being skinny and modern music and I have never really been interested in any of those things or felt they applied to me. I always felt entirely 'uncool'! Finding the FL was like coming home! All these people who dress the way they want to, accepting themselves for who they are.

Now I fill my days with dressmaking, embroidery, bookbinding, tatting, hoarding scraps of fabric (and lace and atually anything old and pretty!), knitting, reading old fashioned books and being a leader in the GirlGuides! I wear what I want to wear, be it 1940s/50s style or just a tunic thrown over jeans and I know that it's ok. At the grand old age of 19 (20 in May, woohoo!) I've accepted the fact that I will probably never be 'cool' in the normal sense of the word, never 'fashionable', never modern, and instead have decided to just be me. And it's amazing to realise that that's ok. In fact it's the best way to be! It's so amazing to finally feel free to be different and not to worry about being skinny or about having the latest CD or owning the newest Topshop 'jeggings' and to just be able to enjoy being me.

The weird thing is, since realising this, and embracing it, people seem to think I AM cool after all :p

Anyway, Annie, I'm so glad you're happy with yourself, the way you are. And thank you Fedora Loungers :)

Moll xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

Miss Molly said:
The weird thing is, since realising this, and embracing it, people seem to think I AM cool after all :p

oh my - i totally agree!

xxx

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to toss in another thought here that's been popping into my mind as I read this thread. One of the most insidious and unhealthy trends in our modern society is the segregation of people by age. In school you hardly ever associate with anyone more than a year or two older or younger, and you're with your family much less than would have been the case 100 years ago. Young people hardly ever get the chance to really know people who are in any way different from them. What a shame!
One of the great things about the Lounge is the fact that people of all ages, as young as 15 and all the way into their 70's, are all here together as peers. That's major.
Somebody like Annie can come here and get the straight scoop on life that she's not able to get from the narrow world she lives in.
Annie, I think you realize that your comments have made us here at the Lounge feel awfully good about ourselves, just as we have helped you in the same way. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 12480

sure thing!

good feelings all round i say.
I'm so glad i found the lounge. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner