Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That Small Vintage Knot

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Several points regarding tie knots. First, while the four-in-hand is a mainstay, it's also kinda a beginner's tie knot. I've heard that some in England even call it a a schoolboy knot. When you see a vintage picture of a tie with a tinny, perfectly symmetrical, diamond shape knot, the chances are it's not a four-in-hand, because that knot's principle characteristic is that it's asymmetrical. Second, there are a lot of alternative tie knots that were once common but have fallen by the wayside as sartorial devolution takes its toll ...

Here are some pictorial examples of classic, largely forgotten tie knots with diagrams which show how to tie them:

The small knot. I've actually seen this one tied onscreen in some classic movies. It uses vert little length, as such it was very common in the 20s and 30s, when ties were short:

small-knot.gif

IMG_1226.jpg

This is Pratt, aka Shelby, aka Nicky, aka Milan knot. Again, this knot uses very little length and was very common in the 20s and 30s.

image035-scaled595.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
that 'twist' in step one of the 'small knot' bothers me. ;)

in the 'Pratt', the right side of the tie is facing in to your neck (!) which results in the wrong side being visible on the thin end (!!) ... no good if your tie is hanging free (unless you're a label whore).

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
...also, when you undo the 'small knot' you're left with a knot in the tie, unlike the four in hand which slides apart when undone. :p

the four in hand is still the superior knot if you ask me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael