Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 20th Century Loco and Dreyfuss

cookie

I'll Lock Up
A Train of Thought

The unforgettable 20th Century Limited and Its Creator, Henry Dreyfuss
Text by Stephen Drucker/Photography courtesy National New York Central Railroad Museum Published May 2003

In 1938 the only real hope was the future, and the future was the 20th Century Limited. Everybody knew the train with the heroic silhouette. They knew it left Grand Central Terminal, Track 34, at 6:00 p.m. every day, and that a red carpet was unfurled for its passengers, people in a great rush to get to Chicago, people who seemed to hover above the troubles of the times. Night after night the ritual was the same. The curious would come out to see the Century roar through their towns without stopping; every engineer along its route knew it was his duty to get out of its way; and teenage girls would be there when it arrived, on the chance they might see a movie star.

Everybody knew the train, but not its designer. Henry Dreyfuss had a penchant for brown suits and some earnest theories about design uplifting mankind. He was born in 1904, and by the time he committed suicide with his gravely ill wife in 1972, most Americans were living with a houseful of Dreyfuss originals, though they did not know it. The Bell telephone, the Big Ben alarm clock, the Honeywell thermostat— Dreyfuss made a life of refining everyday objects into icons.

The steam locomotive wore a shroud often compared to a Spartan warrior’s helmet.
The trains came early in his career. With a modest project in 1936, Dreyfuss showed the New York Central System that modern design could improve its image and its revenue. As a reward he was asked to create an entirely new fleet for the esteemed Century—10 locomotives and 50 Pullman cars—to debut in June 1938. Dreyfuss worked with almost pathological restraint, transcending the mindless fashion for streamlining, mixing images of the Machine Age and the Stork Club as only he could. The Century’s steam locomotive wore a shroud often compared to a Spartan warrior’s helmet, its six huge driving wheels pierced with holes and painted aluminum to attract the eye; and at night the churning wheels were lighted. Dreyfuss understood that his locomotive, which would become one of the most photographed symbols of the era, created drama enough. The rest of the exterior was simplicity itself. It had all the self-assurance of a well-cut gray flannel suit, with blue chalk stripes and a Moderne tail sign glowing blue as it retreated up the Hudson River.

The interior made even its fashionable passengers look quaint. Dreyfuss treated it as one continuous ribbon of space, with sensations nobody had ever before felt on a train. Where there used to be corners, now there were curves. Where there used to be rows, now there were groups of furniture arranged every which way. It was a private club of gray and blue leather, with the occasional shot of rust, played against subtle gunmetal and aluminum and satin-chrome finishes.

How modern it must have seemed to enter a lounge on the Century and find black-and-white photomurals of the New York and Chicago skylines. Or to visit the dining car late at night and find it transformed into Cafe Century, its bright lights dimmed to a pale rose and your fellow passengers painting the town. Or to sit in a club chair in the boattailed observation car and watch the speedometer that Dreyfuss had been inspired to include. Seeing the needle hit 85 miles per hour gave passengers the same thrill they would get, four decades later, watching a digital readout on Concorde as it passed through Mach 1.

Dreyfuss designed it all: the cyclopseye spotlighting, the gray china, the silver service incised with “speed lines”; and everything from the red carpet to the waiters’ coats wore the pulsing Century logo. Today a Century plate can make a collector lightheaded—what impression must the entire train have conveyed?

Dreyfuss restyled the Century for 1948, but nobody’s heart was in trains anymore. By the end of 1967 there was no more Century. Like Astaire and Rogers in a ballroom embrace, the Century of 1938 embodied all the hopes of civilization at a moment when civilization badly needed some reassurance. We shall never see the likes of it again.

Photography courtesy National New York Central Railroad Museum

Starius

Practically Family
Great post.
I just mentioned Henry Dreyfuss the other day in the vintage phones thread. I've always been a big fan of his work.

When he first started designing the century locomotives, one of the train elements he "did away with" was removing spittoons from the train cars. His belief was that people reflect the environment and atmosphere in which they were placed. The lack of "spitting" apparently had good effects. Edward Bernays, a public relations person, told Dreyfuss that he "made gentlemen out of traveling salesmen" after the change. And apparently, no one missed having the spittoons around.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
It's a shame, too,...

that none of the Limiteds survived -- at least not with their beautiful streamlined shrouds intact! If any FLers should happen to be in Chicago, take time to go by the Museum of Science and Energy. In addition to being allowed inside an actual German U-boat (U-55) that's permanently on display there, and being able to fly a simulated combat mission in a Navy F-14 Tomcat simulator, you'll have the opportunity to see and go inside the Zephyr (another very famous streamliner of the era) as well as see some other great, Art Deco streamlined artifacts. If you're really fortunate, as we were, your guide on the train will be the gentleman who played the undertaker in the movie Hoodlum, Ellis Foster. Quite a character and, yes, he really does talk that way!

P. S. -- Ladies of the Lounge might appreciate seeing Colleen Moore's dollhouse there, too.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I took the 20th Century from Grand Central to Westfield NY in 1953, when I was 6 years old. At that time it was pulled by the EMD diesels.
We had roomettes with bunk beds, and thick pink blankets. We had dinner in the evening an breakfast in the morning in the dining car, with white table cloths and heavy "railroad" silverware. Still a fond memory more than 50 years later.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Thanks for posting that cookie. I've always been a huge fan of the 20th Century Limited and early streamliners in general. It's really sad to think how hard the mighty have fallen, for today Amtrak has apparently reduced passenger trains to little more than airline jets on wheels. Luckily there's still some vintage equiment around (though not on regular service).

Where are they now?

The ten Dreyfuss-streamlined J3a Hudsons were destreamlined around 1947, and scrapped along with their 265 ancestors and siblings ca. '53-'57. Smithsonian asked for one, and got a polite "forget it!" (One executive even publicly commented why it would be a bad idea to preserve even one--never saw the eact remark, though...)

One of the Pullman 7605/7607 (can't remember which, the other's the '38 diners) allegedly survives in French Lick, IN in a museum, the others and the six diners (these ten were the only cars built for NYC ownership in the '38 train) were all scrapped.

I'll check my files on the sleeping cars later, for both the '38 and '48 trains.

Of the four Island observations, two were scrapped in '58 (their boattail ends were used to build the tower at NYC (now Amtrak) Beech Grove Shops in Indiana; the others went to Mexico and were scrapped there.

Both of the two '48 Shore lounges were sold to the CRI&P in '58; Atlantic Shore survives today with Western NY Railway Historical Society.

None of the four postwar twin-unit diners built by Pullman are left, one or two of the stainless-steel sets built by Budd may still exist.

Both of the Creek (Pullman gray) and IIRC all of the 3 large-window Brook (Budd stainless) observations still survive, although some have been radically altered. Both Creeks went ot Ringling Bros. Circus; Hickory Creek is now in custody of United RR Historical Society of NJ, and Sandy Creek is now New York of the American Orien Express. Singing Brook, Sunrise Brook, and Wingate Brook all either went to Canada or private owners.

For those who are interested, some references:
Cook, Richard J. The Twentieth Century Limited 1938-1967. TLC Publishing
Doughty, Geoffrey H. New York Central's Great Steel Fleet 1948-1967 and New York Central Lightweight Passenger Cars, Trains and Travel. TLC Publishing

For the more hardcore technically-minded:
Edson, Wm. D. and H.L. Vail. Steam Locomotives of the New York Central Lines. NYC System Historical Society, limited printing
--- and C.M. Smith. New York Central System Diesel Locomotives.
Randall, W. David. The Pullman-Standard Library, Volume 2: New York Central and The Passenger Car Library, Volume 2: New York Central and Northeastern Railroads. RPC Publications

Doughty's pretty much the leading expert on NYC lightweight/streamlined railcars (IIRC, he lives up Ms. LizzieMaine's way), and Edson was the foremost authority on their motive power (he was also the last Chief Mechanical Engineer, NYC System, which meant every NYC road engineer answered to him; unfortunately he has passed on)

Addendum: Other Power Used

Of the L3 and L4 4-8-2 Mohawks that occasionally powered the Century during the war, only two have survived. NYC 3001 went to Age of Steam RR Museum in (IIRC) Houston to replace a vandalized T&P engine, and was then moved north during the '80s when Conrail was attempting to start a UP-style "steam excursion" program. Alas, it was not to be, as the executive whose brainchild it was had a fatal heart attack. The engine is now on display at National NYC RR Museum in Elkhart, IN; the other L-class survivor is at National Museum of Transport in St. Louis.

Not one of the twenty-six S1 and S2 4-8-4 Niagaras, among the most powerful of the "Northern" types in spite of their compact size escaped the scrapper's torch; nor did any of NYC's E7A and E7B passenger diesels, nor all but a scant few of NYC's E8s. Two are in private custody somewhere in the mid-South, where they are occasionally lent out to a dinner train. The one in Danbury, CT, "NYC 4096", is actually an ex-UP engine painted in NYC colors.

Every so often, some of NYC's ALCO PA-2s would pinch-hit on second sections; all were traded in to ALCO, EMD or GE on newer power in the early- to mid-1960s and scrapped.

If you have megabucks to burn, Les Kasten at ITAC ( http://www.iltransit.com ) had several coaches and a grill car used on the Century's final reformatting up for sale as of last time I checked. All are "fixer-uppers", and none are cheap.

ADDENDUM II: '38 Sleeping Cars

The 1938-48 20th Century used four kinds of sleepers, not counting the observations.

Accommodations had several basic types:
Roomette (RMT). Basically, a 3.5-4'x6-7' cubicle for one. Wall-to-wall bed by night. Usually parallel to the aisle.
Double Bedroom (DBR). Seats two, sleeps two, Usually perpendicular to the aisle, about 6-7' of car-length. Narrow 22" window.
Compartment (COMP). Slightly larger, sleeps one on the sofa and two in bunks over/under the window. Outer wall is almost wall-to-wall window.
Drawing Room (DR). Largest room available except the "Honeymoon Suite" aboard an Island observation. Seats and sleeps three very comfortably (maybe four in a pinch), long enough to require two windows to all smaller rooms' 1.

These rooms came in four types of car:
17-roomette/1-section (Plan 4068E on the '38 Century) These cars were the century's equivalent of "coach", carried up front between the dormitory/lounge car and the two diners. Names in the City of _____ series, similar cars used on PRR Broadway Limited and several other trains; design originally used on AT&SF Super Chief. During the war, the 4068Es were frequently replaced with 18-roomettes of Plans 4068H and -J. (The extra roomette replaced the section, which had been for the car's porter on the older models.)
10-roomette/5-double bedroom (Plan 4072A) Your basic mixed roomette/full-bedroom car, the direct ancestor of the hordes of 10-roomette/6-double bedroom cars that flooded the rails in the postwar construction boom. Design originated for the Century and the Broadway, names in the Cascade _____ series. Also in the forward half, mixed in with the 4068s; later batches from plans 4072B and -C also used on the Century.
13-double bedroom (Plan 4071A) As with the 10/5's, another Century/Broadway new design. Aisle diverted down one side of the car, so you have one side of solid rooms, end to end. Usually carried aft of the diners.
4-double bedroom/4-compartment/2-drawing room (Plan 4069-series, specifically -D IIRC) Another design originated with the Super Chief, probably the most common prewar lightweight sleeper (a favorite on the Union Pacific/Southern Pacific/Chicago & NorthWestern "Overland Route" also). Drawing rooms centered on car-length, compartments flanking them, DBR's on the end. Usually the middle of the "rear half", with the 4071s between these cars and the diner (forward) or observation (rear).

If I'm triggering "info overload", say so and I'll back off.

Conductor Bill

New in Town
Wonderful article Cookie ... great followup Diamondback. I have been a fan of great industrial designers for a long time, especially as they relate to the streamline passenger train era ... Dreyfuss, Stevens, and of course, Loewy. The railcar I own has an incredible interior (can't say who designed it, in-house at the Southern Pacific Railroad, I guess) ... please check it out at: www.overlandtrail.com

cookie

I'll Lock Up
luvthatlulu said:
Thanks for posting it.

Like all nice blokes I love to be appreciated! I just happened to be looking in (USA) Architectural Digest when I saw a link to the great designers of the 20C century and was immediately drawn to that 'piece'. My cousin has a company that makes model railways gear.

I must say I love it when I post something that gets the FL juices flowing. It is a wonderful place full of interesting people. Thanks to the Internet (and Al Gore? - joke Joyce) the world is a smaller and more intimate place.

During WWII, the Island observations (master suite.drawing room/obs; Pullman plan 4079) were sidetracked (insufficient revenue space, and replaced with the three River observations built for the '39 Southwestern Ltd. (Plan 4082, 2DBR/1comp/1DR. 7 total built, including 1 World's Fair display--American Milemaster, allegedly originally intended for the Southwestern and to have been named Mohawk River, according to some sources--1 experimental, stainless-but-nonfluted Muskingun River, and 2 for the 1941 SP Lark, 400 & 401.) The Riverobservations (not to be confused with NYC's postwar River 10/6s) were sold to Baltimore & Ohio in 1957, one is on display in the B&O Museum, or at least was before the museum took heavy storm damage. (Dinerman or Quigley Brown, if you see this and get to B&O Museum, could you please snap some pics of Genesee River if it's still there?)

Enough equipment was delivered to make four complete trainsets, except that two were shorter (only having 1 diner each), and usually left 1/2 hour earlier as the Advance 20th Century, #s 37 and 38.

Each consist, as operated prewar, was usually:
T3a electric (New York GCT-Harmon) or J3a Hudson
RPO (NYC 5017-5020, Pullman plan 7405)
Dorm/lounge (Pullman Century ___, plan 4076)
17-roomette
2 10/5's
17-roomette
2 diners (NYC 680-685, dining room ends together)
13DBR
2 4/4/2s (Pullman Imperial _____)
13DBR
Observation

Advance Centuries usually ran with one less diner, no RPO and less sleepers, sometimes just one of each type.

In the 1948 shakeup, two trainsets were retained for Century 2nd sections, the rest of the equipment was used as the foundation of the newly-streamlined Commodore Vanderbilt.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Why Diamondback, I didn’t realize you were a railroad guy too. That’s some great information. I’ve always been a fan of machine-age industrial design, and the streamliners of the 1930s in particular.

Anyone who wants to kind of relive riding the 20th Century (albeit in its pre-streamlined, 1933 form), should seek out a copy of “A Century of Progress” by Fred Saberhagen. It’s about a WWII veteran in 1984 who is talked into going on a secret time-travel mission back to Chicago in 1933, and ends up having to travel to NYC via the 20th Century. Viewing the past through the eyes of a time traveler is really an insight. It’s one of my favorite books, though I’m not otherwise a Saberhagen fan.

Purely apropos of nothing, the 1938 Century was officially introduced on June 15, 1938 - exactly 44 years before I was born.

-Dave

You're in good company then, David: 6/15/38 was the Century's 36th birthday, first running on June 15th, 1902. It was said that the end of the Century was the death of not just a train, but a national institution.

I'm just finishing payoff on an HO scale version of the '48 Century (to be finished when my hands stop shaking long enough to install the rails, lighting and tailsign), and MTH is producing a missing-three-cars HO version of the '38 train in original and wartime paintjobs. (It's missing one diner, one 17-roomette and one 4/4/2; I've called this to their attention, and they refuse to tell me if the missing pieces will be made available--the 4/4/2 is a single-car box, but they're only doing one car-name for each scheme, and the 17-roomette and diner are only available as part of a five-car package with the RPO, dormitory-lounge and observation.)

Also, one of the foremst passenger-rail historians in the country has a "care package" on its way to me with information about the Century in its wooden-car "Varnish" days, before the coming of the rolling-battleship "Heavyweight" cars such as your movie would have featured.

For two generations, the NYC System was the family business, so between them, the US Air Force and the (old; not the post-McDonnell-takeover abomination) Boeing Company, it could be said there's almost as much oil as blood in my veins.

Late-breaking addendum, with apologies for the thread-necromancy: my 1948 20th Century is in-hand aside from a single car (the Santa Fe transcon 4-4-2, which hasn't been on the market for several years and I need to bloodhound one out), so if anybody's interested once I get the interior detailed we could use it for a "virtual tour" of the Century's final all-Pullman incarnation.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"LIKE"

This is definitely a situation where the creaky old Lounge could use its own version of "LIKE". Maybe a new smiley. :p
Oh, wait a minute, how about the old thumbs up?

Dan, do you mean this thread, the Century itself or my idea about a "virtual tour" if my @!#$$#@! hands ever quit shaking enough for me to go to work on the detailing?

Anyone out there have un-faded color photos--or references with same--that could help me figure out interior painting? Most of the references about woods, paints and other materials were in the hands of Dreyfuss's firm, which seem to have disappeared with the passing of their creator... I know one entire wall of the Shore lounges was a mirror, which is gonna be dicey to do in HO scale.

If the folks at MTH would cooperate about the missing three cars and if my second-half-2010 finances cooperate, I may be kicking off a similar project with the '38 train (which was my primary target all along, actually).

MPicciotto

Practically Family
So lacking the funds for a full blown train most of us could settle for another piece of Henry Dreyfuss's work. In fact many of us probably have this item in our house already. Or grew up with it. The Honeywell T-87 Round thermostat. You know the round one that you spin the whole thermostat to raise or lower the temperature? He designed that. As well as the clock in my kitchen.

Matt

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I took the 20th Century from Grand Central to Westfield NY in 1953, when I was 6 years old. At that time it was pulled by the EMD diesels.
We had roomettes with bunk beds, and thick pink blankets. We had dinner in the evening an breakfast in the morning in the dining car, with white table cloths and heavy "railroad" silverware. Still a fond memory more than 50 years later.
Somebody's heart was still in trains. Are you reading this, Mr. Drucker?

NYCFishFinish12.jpg

Along the Hudson southbound from Beacon, 1947.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran