Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Mr. Thunder- is that an eBay purchase?
I bought a vintage, American khaki service jacket from eBay a while back
which has an air of vintage USN but it has a peaked lapel.
The jacket has a lot of hand stitching and seems more like a costume piece than a service piece. The"pleats" in the inverted pleat breast pockets are fake and so is the box pleat in the back.
Even more peculiar is that it has the same* "Thompson" stencil mark inside.

You can see it here:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25917&highlight=Can+You+Identify+this+Military+Jacket?

B
T

Found it at a junk shop here in Iowa.

While the details are different (lapels, belt, breast pockets) the general cut and construction are very similar.

Yes, the "Thompson" stencil is odd. Is there also a "482-T" stamped on it? Could you perhaps post pics of the stencil?

We might own jackets from the same fellow! This jacket is sized about 36 or 37R. What's the size of yours?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Paddy,

Your timing is terrible! I've just promised two 'give away' modern bush jackets (one military, one civilian) to BT.

You can get a good British Army No. 6 bush jacket (like the one shown above but lighter coloured poplin and with a belt) for 20GBP at auction - much less in surplus shops.

PADDY said:
Will - that's a lovely jacket. I'd be replacing those buttons anyway (I'm sure that would be your intention) with possibly leather ones. A matching belt would look great with that baby!

Never thought I'd start considering getting a bush jacket! that's this place for you [huh] You guys cast a line out into the water and every so often I just 'bite' that hook!!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
Don't forget the Volcano storm kettle/flask. Brew up quick sharp with twigs, moss or grass...

The Swiss Army version - usually less than a tenner in surplus shops and works well. Looks like something out of Flash Gordon, too...

Volcano1.jpg

Volcano2.jpg

volcano3.jpg

And it's multi-fuel...twigs etc., a Trangia burner or Esbit tablets.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Found it at a junk shop here in Iowa.

While the details are different (lapels, belt, breast pockets) the general cut and construction are very similar.

Yes, the "Thompson" stencil is odd. Is there also a "482-T" stamped on it? Could you perhaps post pics of the stencil?

We might own jackets from the same fellow! This jacket is sized about 36 or 37R. What's the size of yours?

Yep, it's a smaller size, for sure. I'll need to dig it out,... of somewhere.
Need to have a look at the markings but it definitely has the "Thompson".

I was beginning to think it was a costume house.

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Looks like the Ghillie-Kettle has a bit of improvement over the Kelly Kettle.

ghillie-adventurer.jpg
Kelly-Kettle.jpg

The Ghillie replaces the cork with a kettle cap that gives off a whistle to let you know when the water is ready. Nice little feature if you don't want to spy down the spout to see if it has boiled. What would be nice is a pot stand that could go over the chimney, still allowing an air flow but being able to do double duty to cook something else at the same time. Also, a filler filter would be neat for those that don't carry a water filter of some sort. Pretty cool items, hopefully I might be able to find one of these on this side of the pond.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
nobodyspecial said:
Sigg reintroduced the oval bottle with the metal cup a couple of years ago. It's the same as the classic one, only with a modern cap versus the cork stopper.

For a stove, it's hard to beat a Borde Bomb.

Do you happen to have some images of the Sigg oval bottle for the Swiss Ranger Volcano Kit?

Cheers!

Dan

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Do you mean like this?
http://www.kellykettle.com/

BTW, I have just acquired the new smaller size Kelly Kettle and over the summer I will be 'trialing' it informally against my beloved Swiss Volcano stove (see above).

DanielJones said:
What would be nice is a pot stand that could go over the chimney, still allowing an air flow but being able to do double duty to cook something else at the same time. Also, a filler filter would be neat for those that don't carry a water filter of some sort. Pretty cool items, hopefully I might be able to find one of these on this side of the pond.

Cheers!

Dan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FYI, our local TJ Maxx has some wood frame with canvas folding chairs similar to this for around $60. I don't know the brand, but they seemed pretty nice. I'm tempted to grab one.

NelsAnderson said:
The design I really like is the roorkhee chair:

Roorkhee%20khaki%20canvas%20on%20dock.jpg

These are available from a couple of sources, but again at ridiculous prices for a few sticks, a couple of belts and a piece of canvas...

I also thought some folks might be interested in seeing this old BR Traveler's Sportcoat:

p1014352.jpg

p1014347.jpg

p1014349.jpg

Interior back pockets (on either side of rear vent)
p1014354.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
skbellis said:
Here is the link for the Sigg 're-introduction' of their WW2 canteen:

http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=289

skbellis: Very cool! Thanks for the heads-up on that one. I prefer the idea for the screw cap just because I'm clumsy enough to muss the cork and have a leak in the pack.

Gijoe said:
Was a rainy day in the north, i put my backback and drove with the ray raylway to the south. 2.30h later the summer was here.

Great pics Gijoe! The valley village looks rather beautiful. You're a very lucky man indeed to have such terrain so near at hand. :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
So I've picked up a few of this years version of the Target "adventuring" shirt. I grabbed one in white, one in black, and one in blue. I can't comment on what they've had in the past, but this one is linen...

Anyway, not the point. Point is, they didn't have a tan or khaki here at either of the Target locations in town. Being generally a fan of instant gratification, and knowing that the original khaki came from tea dying white... well yeah. I got an idea. Anywho, it seems to have worked pretty well.

Here's the in process shot:
3633778955_a3a5bbca8c.jpg

And the finished product:
3635085616_dbb29945e0_o.jpg

The color is subtle, and will doubtlessly lighten and need to be redone, but all in all I'm happy with the results.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
If you want it darker, try coffee. Same concept, slightly stronger/blacker. My grandmother used to coffee-dye things. But your way looks good.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The size of the Sigg oval bottle is a drawback under some circumstances, but it's a useful outfit for a short trip, particularly where refills are possible. I usually camp in areas where shortage of water is never a problem! I was sceptical when I bought mine (I got it for half price in a camping shop sale) but it has proved itself in practice.

The shape has the advantage that it fits into most outdoor jacket pockets when you're not carrying a pack - ideal for 'days out'. Its stainless steel cup is good for 'brewing up', but won't fit most types of stove. I modified a Bundeswehr Esbit folding stove to take the narrower cup. It works well.

<Added later> Just to note that there are two versions of the modern Sigg oval bottle - the version to which I am referring is the 'Retro', only comes in black and has the nesting cup. The ordinary version doesn't and is much cheaper.

For a flat-shaped bottle that holds more and can be used on a stove, there is always the old WW2 (and perhaps before) trick of removing the felt insulation from the 1937 pattern British Military bottle. A modified version of a larger (than an Esbit) folding stove completes the kit.

Mike K. said:
Only a 20oz capacity? I love the looks of that Sigg bottle but a full quart (32oz) would have to be the minimum useful size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw