Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
Beretta Safari Sale

Just thought you chaps might be interested in knowing that Beretta is having a sale on safari apparel. Prices are marked down up to 35%.
Here's the link:

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemQuickSearch.aspx?searchText=safarisale

Safari-Sale_01.jpg

Safari-Sale_02.jpg

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Question

I have what I hope is a pretty easy question, and I'm sure this is the right place. As the weather turns nice I'm going to be outdoors more. In parks, rivers, caves, etc. I of course want to have a traditional outdoorsy look, I'm leaning towards chinos and safari and other similarly styled shirts.

I live on a town right on the Mississippi River. During the summer it gets terribly hot, and on some days the humidity could literally kill you. It can be a nice morning to go for a hike, and turn into a really uncomfortable, sweltering afternoon. I'm wondering if there are any materials or brands I should look at that have clothing made to be comfortable and breathable.

So far I've checked out Cabela's , LL Bean, and a few others. If anyone has any other places or products in mind I should check out, I'd appreciate the suggestion!!

Thanks!

PS - I'm on the slim side, so clothes that aren't cut too generously would be best. I know some brands run big!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Just in...

Well, I couldn't resist! I dropped the cash for one of these Boyt safari vests and man is it sweet. :D
SA500.jpg

The khaki twill is substantial (very comparable to my safari jacket). Shoulders are nicely padded but probably won't do much if you are shooting any dangerous game cartridges. Speaking of which, the cartridge loops are definitely made for something at least as long as a .30-06. I will have to fill the bottoms of mine with something to shorten the length so they'll accomodate a .30-30Win. Bottom cargo pockets are roomy, with hidden "hand warmer" style pockets behind each. Inside on the left is a zippered security pocket measuring about eight inches square (great for maps), and on the back is a handy snap/zipper closure game pocket. I ordered a size medium and for once the fit is great, not too trim and not that awful oversize crap that so many apparel manufacturers are forcing on us.

I'll try to get some "from the field" photos posted soon.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, that's good to hear a review. I've eyed that vest many times! It's funny, but just moments before checking this thread, I ordered one of these:

i980082sn01.jpg

For my needs, I wanted the upper pockets more than the cartridge loops. I don't spend my days eradicating wild boars like you do, though! For me, the pockets are what I need for compass, GPS, Sharpie, maps, artifact bags, camera, photo scale,... I think this vest oughta do it! As much as I hated to pass it by, I had to let the Baretta version go. It was nice, but this one suits my needs better. Though I will have to add buttons to the pockets and get rid of the damn velcro!

Mr Misanthropy, one place I forgot to mention was Duluth Trading Co. They have some decent stuff, though it can be on the pricey side. Also, Eddie Bauer has decided to come out with a great chambray shirt. It's way expensive, though, so I'll be watching for it to go on sale. I may score one of their new ripstop short-sleeved shirts, though, since it's so hard to find decent white shirts.

Incidentally, Cabela's still has their soft canvas trail shirt (100% cotton, not the blend), on sale for $12.95-14.95. I figured since I was ordering the vest, might as well get another one. I really like the long sleeve version for summer around here, and I think they go well with shorts. The sleeves give the protection you really need from the sun, but they are light enough to be cooler.

drjones

A-List Customer
wow!

Mojave Jack said:
Mike, that's good to hear a review. I've eyed that vest many times! It's funny, but just moments before checking this thread, I ordered one of these:

i980082sn01.jpg

For my needs, I wanted the upper pockets more than the cartridge loops. I don't spend my days eradicating wild boars like you do, though! For me, the pockets are what I need for compass, GPS, Sharpie, maps, artifact bags, camera, photo scale,... I think this vest oughta do it! As much as I hated to pass it by, I had to let the Baretta version go. It was nice, but this one suits my needs better. Though I will have to add buttons to the pockets and get rid of the damn velcro!

Mr Misanthropy, one place I forgot to mention was Duluth Trading Co. They have some decent stuff, though it can be on the pricey side. Also, Eddie Bauer has decided to come out with a great chambray shirt. It's way expensive, though, so I'll be watching for it to go on sale. I may score one of their new ripstop short-sleeved shirts, though, since it's so hard to find decent white shirts.

Incidentally, Cabela's still has their soft canvas trail shirt (100% cotton, not the blend), on sale for $12.95-14.95. I figured since I was ordering the vest, might as well get another one. I really like the long sleeve version for summer around here, and I think they go well with shorts. The sleeves give the protection you really need from the sun, but they are light enough to be cooler.

Thanks for the pictures. I have always loved cabela's trail shirt...Now I have an excuse to get one. :)

DRJONES

Mike K.

One Too Many
drjones said:
Thanks for the pictures. I have always loved cabela's trail shirt...Now I have an excuse to get one. :)
...and just so you know, the 60/40 blend Cabela's shirt is equally good. There are many of us who are very traditionalist (i.e. no synthetic textiles), but speaking from personal experience with both the 100% cotton and the cotton-blend trail shirts, you'd be hard pressed to tell much difference in the way they feel. Also, the all cotton ones really wrinkle a lot while the blended version is care free! They all tend to run slightly oversize.

Bigfeet

New in Town
Mike K. said:
Just thought you chaps might be interested in knowing that Beretta is having a sale on safari apparel. Prices are marked down up to 35%.
Here's the link:

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemQuickSearch.aspx?searchText=safarisale

Safari-Sale_01.jpg

Safari-Sale_02.jpg

Thanks for posting this. My wallet will not be happy, but I will.

On a side note, anyone have a suggestion for a safari/adventure style backpack? I would prefer a brown leather styled one, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Bigfeet

Mike K.

One Too Many
WOW - the Adventure thread made it to 100 pages!!

I was going to recommend the L. L. Bean rucksack too. I have the waxed canvas version and it's great. Keep in mind, however, that the back panel is made from black synthetic mesh/padding. Their all-leather version also looks quite nice.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I like the Cabela's vest. Far too many clothing pieces have too many strange pockets and loops and junk everywhere. The Cabela's piece is straightforward with large enough pockets to actually fit something in; features you will actually use rather than junk that simply drives up the cost.

Vintage looking rucksack - try Duluth Pack or Frost River.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Using new old-style kit

My first post. I thought I'd start by asking if anyone's walking, hiking, climbing or even around ambling gently outdoors using old kit or new old-style kit.

Over the past year I've been hiking in Alfred Sargent Selkirk boots with triple hobs (the strongest and best I can afford up to now), woollen trousers (good quality new 1907-pattern British army), wool gaiters and shetland wool, silk and cotton layers on the top half. I've been comfortable while walking around in the gear I've collected so far. I've not tested it in weather beyond brief showers. I'm saving up for a good strong cotton ventile outer layer before heading into a storm.

warbird

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
My first post. I thought I'd start by asking if anyone's walking, hiking, climbing or even around ambling gently outdoors using old kit or new old-style kit.

Over the past year I've been hiking in Alfred Sargent Selkirk boots with triple hobs (the strongest and best I can afford up to now), woollen trousers (good quality new 1907-pattern British army), wool gaiters and shetland wool, silk and cotton layers on the top half. I've been comfortable while walking around in the gear I've collected so far. I've not tested it in weather beyond brief showers. I'm saving up for a good strong cotton ventile outer layer before heading into a storm.

Just read this thread, you'll see plenty of what you seek.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
...and just so you know, the 60/40 blend Cabela's shirt is equally good. There are many of us who are very traditionalist (i.e. no synthetic textiles), but speaking from personal experience with both the 100% cotton and the cotton-blend trail shirts, you'd be hard pressed to tell much difference in the way they feel. Also, the all cotton ones really wrinkle a lot while the blended version is care free! They all tend to run slightly oversize.
Mike, I've been cutrious about that, but never been willing to take the chance. I've had polyester blend shirts int he past, and always regretted them, since they just don't breathe. I may have to try one now, though, 'cause they're on sale, too. The better finish would be good here at work, and they won't shrink either. If they work with your humidity, then they'll probably be fine here.

Ah, the rucksack search! I've been on the hunt for years now, and still haven't found one I'm really satisfied with. I've had the LL Bean pack (twice) but there were too many things about it I didn't like. I had the Frost River Nessmuk pack, too, but it was worse. This is one piece of gear that I'm extremely picky (read that as anal...can I say that here?!) about, and just can't give up the moderns features, like load compression straps, water bottle pouches, etc, but still have that vintage feel. One thing I hate abotu most packs is that they're usually just one pocket, and all my field gear ends up in a jumble at the bttom. If you're lucky, a pack will have an organizer panel, but it's never enough. The other end of the specturm is like my military Bug Out Bag, which has pockets galore. Unfortunately the pack is so big that it's too much for field work.

One pack that I'm considering is the National Geographic World Explorer backpack.

http://www.pma-show.com/0258/bogenimaging/casebag/national_geographic_bag/

There's a range of sizes for both backpacks and shoulder bags. They're meant for cameras, but they may work for archeological field gear, too.

Bigfeet

New in Town

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Actually, the one Mike K. is referring to is this pack, the
Waxed Cotton Continental Rucksack

AAAAAj6dkBkAAAAAAI5Gtg.jpg

I've gotten it twice now, and returned it both times (They used to offer two different sizes, but now offer just one). I love the look of this pack, and it is about the best option currently available for a useable retro-styled pack. It just didn't ride well on my back, and I found it very difficult to get in and out of easily. I'd say for a day hiking pack it's probably just fine, but for my type of work I am in and out of my bag all day long. I got tired of doing and undoing those buckles every time I needed the camera, or chaining pins, or a photo scale, etc., etc.

I've also tried some of the retro packs, like the Frost River Nessmuk pack. It was just darned uncomfortable, and the attachment points for the straps were placed so that they dug into my lower back. The packs that are really authentic, like Frost River or Duluth Pack, are hell on your back. They don't distribute the weight to your hips, the way a modern pack will, and they sit out away from your back, too, putting a lot of stress on your shoulders. Wearing a pack for as long as I do, and putting the miles on one that I do, I'm simply not willing to sacrifice the comfort and convenience of a modern pack for the authentic look.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
As well as hearing about individual items purchased and worn - of course, the gear can look good - I'd like to know more about where the vintage or vintage-style outdoors kit has been and how it's fared on the way there and back.

I guess I should've said that I'm asking about clothing not normally considered as outdoors wear. I'd expect a Filson cruiser to go the distance. But what happens to WW1 or WW2 repro kit taken on a long walk? Does repro gebirgs gear actually function on a berg? That sort of thing...
Welcome, Creeping Past!

I'd have to say that it all depends heavily on the vendor. For the money I've spent on some repro gear, I've always been a bit too afraid to put it to the test! The question has come up a lot regarding the various repro service shoes, for example. I have the WPG shoes, and I don't think I'd ever push them too hard. The leather is a bit on the thin side, and the construction just doesn't instill confidence. They are great for re-enacting, but only when I expect to be standing around talking, not running through ditches or anything.

The WWII Impressions shoes, on the other hand, are apparently made by Corcoran (Cove) and are just as sturdy as the combat boots they still make. As an owner of a couple pair of modern Corcorans, I'd say the WWII Impression boots are probably pretty darn capable. Until I get a pair in hand, though, I can't say for sure.

I think that will be true across the board. One word of warning on a lot of repro gear, though, it will shrink like mad! I have the pre-WWI trouser belt from WPG. It only comes in a 42 and 48 inches. Well, I wear a 34 and bought the 42, so I thought, no worries, I'll just wash it. It just barely fits now! It shrank by at least 6 inches!

drjones

A-List Customer
soooo??

Mojave Jack said:
Welcome, Creeping Past!

I'd have to say that it all depends heavily on the vendor. For the money I've spent on some repro gear, I've always been a bit too afraid to put it to the test! The question has come up a lot regarding the various repro service shoes, for example. I have the WPG shoes, and I don't think I'd ever push them too hard. The leather is a bit on the thin side, and the construction just doesn't instill confidence. They are great for re-enacting, but only when I expect to be standing around talking, not running through ditches or anything.

The WWII Impressions shoes, on the other hand, are apparently made by Corcoran (Cove) and are just as sturdy as the combat boots they still make. As an owner of a couple pair of modern Corcorans, I'd say the WWII Impression boots are probably pretty darn capable. Until I get a pair in hand, though, I can't say for sure.

I think that will be true across the board. One word of warning on a lot of repro gear, though, it will shrink like mad! I have the pre-WWI trouser belt from WPG. It only comes in a 42 and 48 inches. Well, I wear a 34 and bought the 42, so I thought, no worries, I'll just wash it. It just barely fits now! It shrank by at least 6 inches!

So the informed shopper should buy big and expect shrinkage?

DRJONES

Mike K.

One Too Many
Actually, in addition to the waxed cotton rucksack, I was referring to the all-leather version which apparently L. L. Bean no longer makes. They also had a red plaid wool version that also is now gone. Just checked their website yesterday. Those new ones are quite nice, but I'd still go with the waxed canvas version.

Jack, those 60/40 Cabela's shirts are great. They're super light, super cool & comfy, and don't have any synthetic fiber feel. I need to stock up on whatever they have on sale.

Creeping Past said:
I'd like to know more about where the vintage or vintage-style outdoors kit has been and how it's fared on the way there and back.
Now that's an outstanding idea!! There have been a few posts on this thread, and a few regarding our outdoor hats on other threads. Overall, you'll find some "costume" type wear among us and some who actually put the stuff to everyday use. I think we should post more of our photos in the "Steamer Trunk" thread to show where our kit has been.

drjones

A-List Customer
hoorah!!!

Mike K. said:
Actually, in addition to the waxed cotton rucksack, I was referring to the all-leather version which apparently L. L. Bean no longer makes. They also had a red plaid wool version that also is now gone. Just checked their website yesterday. Those new ones are quite nice, but I'd still go with the waxed canvas version.

Jack, those 60/40 Cabela's shirts are great. They're super light, super cool & comfy, and don't have any synthetic fiber feel. I need to stock up on whatever they have on sale.

Now that's an outstanding idea!! There have been a few posts on this thread, and a few regarding our outdoor hats on other threads. Overall, you'll find some "costume" type wear among us and some who actually put the stuff to everyday use. I think we should post more of our photos in the "Steamer Trunk" thread to show wear our kit has been.

Now THATS an idea!
DRJONES

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany