Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Oh, do I have ideas!

I have one of these stools:

50055-1000-2ww-m.jpg

which I'd like to use as a model for making a washstand like the one you see in the picture below.

m198512560362.jpg

The complicated thing is that there is a three-way bolt at the heart of the stool, which I can't find anywhere. If I can find that bolt, I can make the washstand any height I'd like with just three pieces of octagonal stock and a strap at the top to stop it opening too wide and the basin falling off. But where to find that bolt?!

Here's another piece of gear I'd like, but for which I am not going to pay $700!

EventStool.jpg

Holy smokes! That would cost me like $40.00 to make.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Actually they are custom boots and you can specify the exact height you want. The above photo shows boots of approx. 17 inches high, which is a fairly typical height for equestrian boots. They are high enough to protect but not interfere with mobility. You do have a good point however. I once ordered a pair of repro military riding boots, only to discover that they were about 19 inches high and dug into the backs of my knees. They were promptly returned.

draws

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
Actually they are custom boots and you can specify the exact height you want. The above photo shows boots of approx. 17 inches high, which is a fairly typical height for equestrian boots. They are high enough to protect but not interfere with mobility. You do have a good point however. I once ordered a pair of repro military riding boots, only to discover that they were about 19 inches high and dug into the backs of my knees. They were promptly returned.
Mike. I have owned several pair of 19-20" riding boots over the years and should remind everyone that the initial height of the boot may interfere with the knee at first but, with wear and use, they will lose 1-2 Inches of height as time passes and with the inevitable wrinkling that occurs at the ankles. What was painful at first to wear, eventually became most comfortable.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Dennis,

I agree completely. This is my experience, but I think you find that people are no longer prepared to go through the traditional process of 'breaking in' boots.

Mike K.

One Too Many
You have a valid point that many people no longer want to break in footwear. However, we cannot equate properly broken-in with properly fitted shoes/boots. You wouldn't try to break in a size 8N when you wear a 10EE. Likewise with tall boots, if your calf is 16 inches you would be mistaken to order a boot with a 19 inch shaft and expect it to break in to the proper size. Order your correct size (length, width, and height) and do the proper break in. Then the shoe fits. ;)

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Dennis,

I agree completely. This is my experience, but I think you find that people are no longer prepared to go through the traditional process of 'breaking in' boots.

Remember the days of the old army surplus boots where you were standing in a bath or tub with hot water, then squelching around in them to break them in. Then loads of 'Dubbin!' I can remember trekking around an area in Wales (Brecon Beacons) in the early 80's in a pair of old, black leather British Ammunition boots and 'those' boots still 'haunt' me!! (I had no idea of extra insoles..etc and this was pre-goretex days). YEP - you had to BREAK EM IN!! and this 'could' take some time, but at the end of the day, they were 'your' boots (no one else's feet would ever survive in them!!).

I wonder if 'you' put the stamp on your boots, or the boots put the stamp 'on you!'

Seems 'today' that modern feet have been allowed to become too soft (due to young uns wearing trainers..etc), and also an 'expectation' that something should 'immediately' be perfect and comfy 'off the shelf!'

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Picked up a pair of Swiss Mountain Boots at The Sportsman's Guide the other day. Should be here in a few days. I figure for about $20 total They should be a good start.
55228_ts.JPG

I've been hunting around for the Swiss variant that looks like the Gebirgjager boots that are cleated, but they appear as rare as hens teeth in my size. They used to be a good price. There is a maker that makes a reproduction of the Gebirgsjager Boot, but they are hand made and run around $430. A little too rich for my blood for right now. When I'm working again I may have to invest in a pair.
phpThumb.php

I plan on doing a lot of outdoor activities once we get ourselves moved up to the Pacific Northwest. I'm interested in historic hill walking and vintage snow shoeing & some mountain hiking.
Anyway, I think these Swiss variants will do the trick until I can get what I'm looking for in the future.

Cheers!

Dan

Gijoe

A-List Customer
In my Army time i marched many miles with the Swiss Marching shoes. A bit heavy but ok. I think the Version with the Rubber sole is the saver Option for hiking. I use my Hobnail Boots only for Reenactment.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Picked up a pair of Swiss Mountain Boots at The Sportsman's Guide the other day. Should be here in a few days. I figure for about $20 total They should be a good start.
55228_ts.JPG

I've been hunting around for the Swiss variant that looks like the Gebirgjager boots that are cleated, but they appear as rare as hens teeth in my size. They used to be a good price. There is a maker that makes a reproduction of the Gebirgsjager Boot, but they are hand made and run around $430. A little too rich for my blood for right now. When I'm working again I may have to invest in a pair.
phpThumb.php

I plan on doing a lot of outdoor activities once we get ourselves moved up to the Pacific Northwest. I'm interested in historic hill walking and vintage snow shoeing & some mountain hiking.
Anyway, I think these Swiss variants will do the trick until I can get what I'm looking for in the future.

Cheers!

Dan

Those look like they will do the trick, Dan!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And I just recently picked up a pair of gamaschen (gaiters) for these boots as well. Gijoe, thanks for your input. I had noticed that one of your friends (wearing the Bergmutze) in another post you had shared was wearing the hobnailed & cleated boots. Were those also a Swiss model boot? The pictures you shared of the hike near the fortifications appeared to be a cold foggy day. I was wondering if his feet stayed warm with the metal works on his boots.
fb5x.jpg

Also, the breeches that you and he are wearing, are they surplus items or alpine items and where did you find them?

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Haha.
My Friends wear both swiss Hobnail Boots. They are o.k for a hiking . For me in the high mountains seafty comes first ! Hobnail Boots are a bit dangerous on smooth rock.
Another problem is the age of the Sole, the leather is dry , the nails sit loosely.
History of the Rubber sole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibram
I used the Swiss Hobnail Boots with two pairs socks at a Reenactment in the snow. The feet froze almost.
A few pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/VEREINBRO/Chirel2010?feat=directlink
But the shoes with the Rubber sole are not much warmly under winter conditions.
My Breeches are vintage civilian british Tweed Breeks, a ebay found.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ah, very cool! Thanks Gijoe. Makes sense and it makes you wonder how the Mountain Troops managed with those boots back in the day before the rubber soles. Several Armies back then marched on hobnails and their mountain troops had the hobnails and cleats. Makes you wonder how they never fell down all the time or had more problems with the cold leaching in through all that metal.
Being that the soles are drier on the older boots and the nails are loose I wonder how a modern reproduction boot would do in that mountainous terrain?
Thanks again for the information.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, the Swiss Boots arrived and they are going straight back. Their version of a size 10 boot is too small on my feet. They did need a good cleaning but that would have been the easy part if they had fit. My guess is the age of the boots and sitting around in storage for so long shrank the leather a good bit. The toe box was just short enough that my toes would have banged on it on a down hill. I can tell you from experience that 4 miles of that is not too fun. So back they go for a refund as they don't have any larger sizes.
I'm still looking around but trying to find a 10 1/2 or 11 in that type of boot is virtually impossible. Thought I had one pair of Swedish Mountain Boots in my size this morning on ebay but was sniped out of that pair too. I guess I'm not supposed to get a good deal on mountain boots. Extremely frustrating.:(

Cheers!

Dan

Gijoe

A-List Customer
I Think the Swiss Boots are incorect marked from the seller. A 10 1 /2 is a 28,5 in Swiss Army Sizes. The other problem they have wides. 6 is wide 5 is Regular 4 narow
The Swedish Boots are greatly, i never had a better Shoe for the Mountains. They are very wide , maybee you need a feelt insole and thick socks. On ebay UK you find a few but only up to Size 43

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I Think the Swiss Boots are incorect marked from the seller. A 10 1 /2 is a 28,5 in Swiss Army Sizes. The other problem they have wides. 6 is wide 5 is Regular 4 narow
The Swedish Boots are greatly, i never had a better Shoe for the Mountains. They are very wide , maybee you need a feelt insole and thick socks. On ebay UK you find a few but only up to Size 43

I know what you mean. They did fit for the most part and were the perfect width so the feet were supported from side to side, but I could tell that my toes would have been banging on the front of the toe box on a decent and they didn't have any size greater than a 10 (Swiss 28). Socks thicker than a sports sock would have been too thick and restrictive in these boots. Better to just send them back and get a refund than to suffer with bruised toes again. That's not fun at any price. Oh well, I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for eventually. I just need to be more patient.

I do have a better idea now of the Swiss & European sizing system and have a good idea what I'm looking for. It'll be either a Swiss 28,5 or 29, or a European 44 (U.S. 10 1/2).

In any case the hunt continues on for some good mountain boots. I do want to get some modern alternatives for everyday hiking & mountaineering for safety & comfort reasons and have a few options bookmarked for the future, but I would like to also have some boots that are reproductions of original mountaineering boots for my experimental archaeology. To see how the folks of our past managed to do what they did with what they had. I'd like to see how the Italian & Swiss Alpine troops and the German Gebirgsjager managed to cope with the terrain & cold with what they were issued & wearing. It would be interesting to snowshoe in them or hike the higher regions in that kind of boot.
I was reading about a Project Edelweiss at a military forum the other day. They did, I think, a week long hike & climbing expedition in the mountains just using the gear that the Gebirgsjager would have used. Other than a couple of blisters they had a great time.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80