Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Oh - I feel hesitant as a new comer as well, but I agree that perhaps a more general name would serve better. As some of us would like to feel comfortable posting more alpine information (being a mountain dweller and avid skier.) And it would feel awfully funny putting that in the Safari Tent. Please don't take this as an offense - I really like the idea on the whole and I even like the name - if that were all that might be discussed.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edit: Question moved to its own thread. I apologize because I realize I interrupted an ongoing conversation. I wouldn't mind seeing an adventure-gear subforum as well. I don't adventure as much as I'd like, but I'm hoping to do it more!

-Dave

Mike K.

One Too Many
For those of you in support of this endeavor, there are a few of us who have been discussing the option of making this a separate room and have been corresponding with the higher-ups. The name "Safari Tent" is just one of several potential names...safari being the Swahili word meaning "journey." I agree it certainly conjures up visions of Africa, and this old thread definitely had FAR MORE DIVERSE topics. This Golden Age of Adventure & Exploration was essentially the entire first half of the 20th century...a lot happened to inspire today's fashion, outdoor gear, travel. etc. Just a few momentous undertakings include: geographic North Pole and South Pole expeditions, crossing the Atlantic solo by airplane, breaking the sound barrier, successful summit of Mt. Everest, record oceanic deep dive in a bathysphere, development of the first SCUBA diving equipment, etc.

Please voice your suggestions for a suitable room name that covers "The Golden Age of Adventurous Exploration and Its Inspiration Today."

Perhaps something simple like "The Outfitters Lodge"

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I agree that the title should be more general. How about something along the lines of "The Explorer's Room"?

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to create the board, then immediately post a poll asking what name the subforum should have? Based on the systems I've used in the past, changing the name is as simple as about three clicks and a little bit of typing.

That's my suggestion.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Definitely count my voice in on the call for an adventure room, whatever it is called. I've echoed Mike's suggestion to MK, too, and he has said it is an option he is watching. If you're interested in making it happen, make a friendly suggestion to MK! keep in mind, though, it's his board and ultimately his decision; if he feels the time is not quite right, then just keep supporting the threads that cover these topics. He has already stated that he is open to the idea, and when he feels the support is there he will consider it.

David Conwill said:
Do you fellows use vintage camping gear as well - canvas tents and the like? I love Golden Era outdoorsiness - lots of canvas and leather and no hideous nylon to be seen.

Any suggestions on what might make a good North Woods adventuring ensemble to compliment my campaign hat? I'm thinking a nice heavy cotton shirt like some of the WWII-surplus models I used to own, heavy wool breeches in dark green, and lace-to-the knee loggers boots. A nice blanket Mackinaw would be in order as well.

Any ideas on where to source the shirt, breeches, and boots? I'm pretty well off on bags and things from my days as a military surplus collector.

-Dave
Dave, I think you have quite a number of options for the North Woods! The classic red plaid shirt would go great with your breeches, like this one from Pendleton:

50892_RDBK_DT.JPG

Filson also makes a number of good wool shirts, too. Don't forget chamois shirts, like the ones from LL Bean. Perhaps a little more affordable than some of the Filson or Pendleton products, and for my money, quite a bit more comfortable.

For jackets the Macinaw jacket can't be beat for a real North Woods feel. Quite pricey, though, I'm afraid. With a Stormy Kromer cap you'll be warm as toast and perfectly outfitted for cold weather.

For warmer weather a good lightweight canvas shirt like the trail shirts offered by LL Bean (such as their Sunwashed Canvas Shirt or a good chambray shirt). Both Mike and I love the Cabela's Soft Canvas Trail Shirt, and they are still super on sale (at $12.95 each, they can't be beat!).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Adventurers - a couple questions.

You all look the part. Do you fellows use vintage camping gear as well - canvas tents and the like? I love Golden Era outdoorsiness - lots of canvas and leather and no hideous nylon to be seen.

Any suggestions on what might make a good North Woods adventuring ensemble to compliment my campaign hat? I'm thinking a nice heavy cotton shirt like some of the WWII-surplus models I used to own, heavy wool breeches in dark green, and lace-to-the knee loggers boots. A nice blanket Mackinaw would be in order as well.

Any ideas on where to source the shirt, breeches, and boots? I'm pretty well off on bags and things from my days as a military surplus collector. Except I do miss my salt-and-pepper Swiss rucksack - it got run over by a car.

-Dave

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
I've done the old tan canvas BA tent, period hexy stove, soldiers accoutrements and 'style' rations.

But I draw the line at sleeping wrapped in a great coat/under a blanket. A carrimat and Nanok SF10 are cunning deployed after dark.

Memnon

New in Town
Mike K. said:
This Golden Age of Adventure & Exploration was essentially the entire first half of the 20th century
I would add the last half of the 19th Century as well, with Baker, Livingstone, Speke and Burton all exploring the interior of Africa.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Like LL Bean, Woolrich still makes some decent clothing at a more reasonable price than Filson. If it's cold enough outside to wear wool pants, I would not wear a cotton shirt, I go with wool as much as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy