Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Ranger01

New in Town
For the Boots you pretty much have 2 choices, Redwing (I reccomend these), or Dr. Martins.

The Redwings are the most traditional looking, and the best made (Redwing, MN. USA). (I have a pair of their steel toes that Ive had for 6 years, Ive worn em about 99% of the time Ive had em and with a quick shine they are good as new... and I dont baby my boots lol.)
The Dr. Martins are cheaper (about 1/2 the price of the Redwings) but as they say you get what you pay for. They are nice boots, but I just preferr my boots American made.

The Redwings:
http://redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1207

The Doc's:
http://www.dmusastore.com/pc-1353-2-9663-20-eye-boot.aspx

For the Shirts and/or trousers you could look at Repro/ reenacter uniforms.
Good place to start:
http://wwiiimpressions.com/usarmydress.html

Or even better, WW1 style uniforms:
http://www.aefsupply.com/uniforms.htm

bruce wayne said:
what is this car amping everyone talks about?

Its when you drive to the campsite in your vehicle (Car, Truck, SUV, etc...), and either set a tent up next to your vehicle or sleep in your vehicle. Instead of hiking to a campsite.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
Story, can you id the pouches worn on the straps, as well?

Incidentally, I've always found the chaps at Lawrance Ordnance to be first rate, and their gear to be top notch. They ship quickly, and are very reasonable for international shipping charges. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.

Mr Misanthropy, PM has been sent. I have several of those books on my shelf at home, but I've pretty much switched to either the Forestry Supply field books or the Rite-In-The-Rain types. I'd be happy to send them on to you.

BTW, your first inclination was right, Matthew, I'm at Stumps.

Jack and Story-
Excuse my tardiness- I have an intermittent wireless internet connection- I'm just hooking onto someone else's at present, pending connection to the real thing...

It is indeed Great War era.

To my knowledge, nobody makes this "bush shirt" but I want to...

Those Askari are attached to "the King's African Rifles", the original image I posted is also of KAR soldiers. That image may be from the same series.
I am beginning to believe that the "bush shirt" used by the British soldiers in the photo was perhaps, not an issue item. Perhaps. I would like to know more. The Kepi is, I believe, also specific to the KAR.

Puttees and socks...? not sure but probably too hot for hose tops. Not sure of supply/issue problems in this theatre but there was, at this time and in this area, much latitude in dress and equipment, as you and Stroy have rightly noted in the leather equipment is indeed a modification- it is modified 1903 pattern, the pouches on the shoulder straps seem also to be M1903 and part of this field/regimental modification to the standard gear.

In the image below, the man, second, left (in Africa, with the Johnsons)has a similar pullover shirt- these pullover styles seemed to be popular through the '20s and '30s.

m198512580160.jpg

The Prince of Wales' famous Safari ensemble also had a similar pullover shirt.
It is indeed a pullover shirt, although it's not apparent from this picture.

WindsorSafariGear1.jpg

Here's a better one.

WindsorSafariGear3.jpg

I too, have dealt with Lawrance Ordnance- they are a model business for other to follow.
Their products exceed expectation and there is no nonsense.

B
T

Rufus

Practically Family
Hope it's OK to post this, it's an illo from an upcoming Tank Girl issue I'm working on, and I was inspired by this Thread..
I'm doing Booga her Kangeroo boyfriend as an adventurer too.. I'll post it tomorrow!

Thanks for all the great Ref everyone!!

Rufus

KEYS1_COLOUR_small.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Rufus-

Tank here.
I recently met a Woman, a "Traveller", who claims that the original Tank Girl character was based on her...
She is English, in her later 30s. I met her in Copenhagen, where she now seems to be a resident of Christiania,
the hash village.

But she also makes many other claims... many of which are totally ludicrous.

So I'm wondering...

What do you know???

B
T

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Kodiak said:
Also of Everest note:

The World Record for most descents by a non-Sherpa was broken recently. A 46-year old resident of Taos, NM (David Hahn) has, as of Tuesday, summitted the world's tallest peak (a "fact" which I still somewhat doubt) 10 times.

The Sherpa record is 18.

Which fact are you referring to - tallest peak or 10 times to the summit?

Rufus

Practically Family
Hey BT,

TG was based on a girl Jamie and Alan went to art college with in Worthing, East sussex.. and of course a sprinkling of Hopey from Love and Rockets.

I forget her name...I'll ask Alan again!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
nobodyspecial said:
Which fact are you referring to - tallest peak or 10 times to the summit?

Tallest peak.

I've read several sort of side notes from mid-thirties literature alleging that Everest isn't really the tallest peak. Louis L'Amour is the first author that comes to mind. I think it's an interesting possibility, that is that there might be a higher peak nobody's taken the time to measure.

There still are unexplored areas you know.

mister7

Familiar Face
"that there might be a higher peak nobody's taken the time to measure"

Not on this planet. There are peaks that have greater vertical drops from summit to base, I think Denali and Anconcogua both fit that description.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Why am I reminded of a Dr Evil quote?

BellyTank said:
OK, this one was from Brum.
Add it to her collection of ludicrous claims to fame.
B
T
My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark.

Mojave Jack said:
Story, can you id the pouches worn on the straps, as well?

Incidentally, I've always found the chaps at Lawrance Ordnance to be first rate, and their gear to be top notch. They ship quickly, and are very reasonable for international shipping charges. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them..

MoJack & BT,
It looks as if the individual 10-round pouches were worn on the suspenders, and six 15-rd pouches were worn on the waist belt - or the 5-pocket bandolier was substituted for the waistbelt (which would mean they buckled it on the side).

Story

I'll Lock Up
Karen Blixen's .256 Mannlicher Schoenauer

Check out this guy's reference site
http://discover-net.net/~kanotex/mannlicher/

and this book review of The Huntress-Traveller Through History
http://africanhuntinginfo.com/modules/wfsection/print.php?articleid=5

Something worth investigating -

Even with figures like buffalo-charge-provoking filmmaker Osa Johnson, I found many stories I had never heard: her being granted a big-game hunting licence in Tanganyika, simultaneously making the Twelve Best Dressed Women list, probably wearing the first “jungle chic,” and her ruined and sodden end.

They have their own museum - http://www.safarimuseum.com/
m&o-onserengeti.small.jpg

PS - looks like the museum is opening a themed clothing store chain.

http://www.martinandosa.com/web/index.jsp

Check out Karen Blixen, cleaned up.
http://bp2.blogger.com/_PBgt-jz5oEM/RgTU9-9Zn7I/AAAAAAAABB4/3eCx01td5IM/s1600-h/karen+blixen.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up

Mike K.

One Too Many
Kodiak said:
I've read several sort of side notes from mid-thirties literature alleging that Everest isn't really the tallest peak.
I think it's an interesting possibility, that is that there might be a higher peak nobody's taken the time to measure.
There is a bigger mountain! But you better like palm trees and warm oceans.

Although Mount Everest, at 29,029 feet, is often called the tallest mountain; Mauna Kea, an inactive volcano on the island of Hawaii is actually taller. Only 13,796 feet of Mauna Kea stands above sea level, however, if you measure it from its base, which is below sea level, it is 33,465 feet. If you stand Mauna Kea and Mount Everest next to each other, Mount Kea would be more than 3/4 mile taller.

I'll take sand and surf any day over snow! :D

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Story, thank you so much for posting those links. This is a very interesting story and I'm going to keep up with it.

I'm going on a canoe trip in July, but I'll only be on the water for about 12 hours...

Crane's

Familiar Face
Great thread.....

I really have enjoyed reading through this thread. It's rich in history, great gear, so on. I'm an avid hunter and fisher and have an entire room full of gear just for hunting and fishing. As far as what my adventure pack would be that would depend entirely on where and what I would be doing. After all, hunting bear in Alaska is a completely different animal than hunting squirrel on the farm. Same with fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24