Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Spencer

New in Town
Believe it or not, they have quite a backlog at EPSaddlery. Last time I ordered something from them it took close to five months for delivery. I do know that it is hand made and takes time, but anything worthwhile is worth waiting for.

LordBest

Practically Family
What do you adventuring chaps (and chapettes) think of this:
http://www.orvis.com/store/productc..._id=11942&cat_id=11952&subcat_id=11953&bhcp=1
Mandarin collar, rather than the traditional sort, but apart from that? Certain family members were psychologically scarred by 1970s acrylic safari suits and am I forbidden from entering the house with any kind of safari jacket, but said family member also loves mandarin collars so this one is acceptable...

LordBest

Practically Family
bburtner@moran said:
Looks a womans jacket...
I can not say I see anything feminine about the jacket, and it is most definitely in the mens section. But the mandarin collar does change the appearance quite a lot, and I assume would not be found on any vintage examples.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The military stand-up collars on KD jackets would come close, but this is a fashion styling. Looks fine to me at that price. You could always add a pointy collar...

Caz

New in Town
Historical "adventure" references...downloadable...

Camps in the Rockies. Published 1882.
I haven't read it all but it is interesting so far

http://books.google.com/books?id=oD...g"&lr=lang_en&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES#PPR5,M1

This one is great too...

http://books.google.com/books?id=55...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

There is also another one on the same site on "Snow-shoes to the Barren Grounds: Twenty-eight Hundred Miles After Musk-Oxen and Wood-Bison"

You might also find it interesting.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Being a Colorado girl - the Camps in the Rockies looks like it could be at least amusing. Especially since my travels have been centered mostly along that great spine of mountains.

Caz

New in Town
Colorado Rockies...

I lived in Arvada back in the early '70's and spent a fair amount of time exploring old mines and related sites. Now days, I drive over the mountains several times in June on the way to NM is all. Have a friend who is a park ranger in the CO Rockies and need to visit him one of these days.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
May be of interest to some Loungers:

I'm reading Whispering Sands: Stories of Gold Fever and the Western Desert by Erle Stanley Gardner. It's a compilation of short stories published in Argosy magazine from 1930-1934 - which means action and adventure aplenty. They're completely fictional, but the author himself spent a great deal of time traversing the deserts of the Southwest.

Edited to add: There's another volume which may be easier to find, which has the rest of the Western-themed stories Gardner wrote for Argosy - Pay Dirt.

ShoreRoadLady said:
May be of interest to some Loungers:

I'm reading Whispering Sands: Stories of Gold Fever and the Western Desert by Erle Stanley Gardner. It's a compilation of short stories published in Argosy magazine from 1930-1934 - which means action and adventure aplenty. They're completely fictional, but the author himself spent a great deal of time traversing the deserts of the Southwest.

Edited to add: There's another volume which may be easier to find, which has the rest of the Western-themed stories Gardner wrote for Argosy - Pay Dirt.
Hey isn't that the guy that wrote all of the Perry Mason stories!!!!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Hey isn't that the guy that wrote all of the Perry Mason stories!!!!

Yep! And goodness knows how many other stories and books - he wrote for the pulps in the 1920s and 30s before creating Perry Mason in 1933. And then he added more stories and series on top of that - the Doug Selby series (flipping the Mason theme to a good D.A. and crooked lawyer), Cool & Lam, Terry Clane...and more. In the '40s he started writing nonfiction about his travel in places like Baja. Full bibliography here (not counting all the pulp & magazine stories, of course).

I've been on an ES Gardner reading kick lately. Can you tell? :)

In California from the home PBS station KCET, Huell Howser's Visiting program (I think) has an episode where they went to either Gardner's home our his ranch house to see where he worked on so many of his stories. If you should see it, it has some neat insights.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Starbay furniture bar trunk

Jambo all

While not clothing, I have found this range of furniture that suits most of this site but the bar trunk would suit a safari under canvas don't you think. The campaign table would also befitting of adventurer's.

http://www.starbay.net/#http://www.starbay.net/eng/novelties.html

Link to the range and I have not seen in on here before. Also keeps this thread up there.

KR

Maguire

Practically Family
I've been scouring ebay for a safari jacket or something casual that i can wear under a trenchcoat but over another shirt to no avail. The prices are either ridiculous or the sizes aren't 42. :(

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Winter adventure gear?

Having had a look around on this thread, most people's adventure gear seems to be some form of safari clothing (sorry if this an exaggeration). This is very practical in summer, but what would winter adventure clothing consist of, as surely people must still be adventurous in cold climates? Personally I would wear a fedora (I can't stand wolly hats), and summer clothing under my great coat or trench coat if I am at home in England where it never gets too cold.

Mike K.

One Too Many
avedwards said:
This is very practical in summer, but what would winter adventure clothing consist of
There is plenty of winter clothing/gear discussion on here too!! You just have to search through nearly 100 pages of the Adventure Thread to find it all. Have fun. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot