Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I was watching a congressional hearing regarding the condition of the credit markets when one of the financial wizards testifying before the committee stated that,"We are in unchartered waters." :eusa_doh:

Talbot

One Too Many
Down under..

When I was growing up in the 70's, it was not uncommon for some people to end nearly every sentence with 'but'.

Going to the footy but?

Lets go to dinner but

It might have been a regional thing but.

Used to drive me crazy but.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
'Irregardless' is a bit off, like 'I could care less.' The word is 'regardless,' and if you could care less, then you care, so why bother stating it in the context you mean to convey? It's, 'I couldnt care less.' IOW, you dont care at all.

Sorry Scotty, I'll be a little more obvious with my sarcasm next time.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
I think it's just a contracted, "shorthand" version of "What the hell did you say?"

I guess it means I don't believe you" or"I can't believe what you are saying"

How it came about, is a mystery. Your speculation seems reasonable.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
Since our language is being reduced to a literal tower of Babel, I asked the supervisor at work if we could open an Esperanto desk!? Why not?...I can't understand half of the people the call in anyway!

Here is a great quote: Vocal communication is more than just making noises with your mouth - it's supposed to be about articulating sounds that form words expressing meaning in a context of verbalized thoughts, concepts and ideas. Anything else is gibberish and babel, not language.

-dixon cannon

"And when they talk, they just make sounds that more or less synch up with their lips." - Laurie Anderson, Language is a Virus, from Home of the Brave (1986).

I know too many of these people. :eek: (See my response to Tomasso, below.)

Lincsong said:
When a guy asks a girl out why does she have to give the standard; "oh I've been so busy with work, I can't now, maybe next time"?? Just give us an honest "NO" and be over with it???[huh]

HUGE peeve of mine! I get this from women who work 9-to-5, Monday through Friday jobs, even when I'm asking them out for a Saturday night. Except that they don't mention work. I just translate it to mean, "I'm waiting for a better offer" and move on.

How much does a guy have to earn to meet a woman who doesn't have to check her schedule everytime he asks her out? I want an answer, not a guessing game! SHEESH! :rage:

On the other hand, I have saved up almost enough money to buy myself a 32gig iPod Touch! ;)

Tomasso said:
I was watching a congressional hearing regarding the condition of the credit markets when one of the financial wizards testifying before the committee stated that,"We are in unchartered waters." :eusa_doh:

Just yesterday, I was talking with a lovely lady I've known for years. She was telling me about one of her cats having contacted feline leukemia. But wait, does not a cat contract that through direct or indirect contact? That darn cat must know how to use a phone or something!

Lee

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better." - Laurie Anderson; same song, same album.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Too busy" is the answer I give when I don't want to go out with someoe. But I'll remember the request for a straight answer the next time I'm asked out.

"Would you like to see a movie next Saturday?"
"NO!"

Kidding aside, whenever somebody hems and haws, I assume they don't want to comply with whatever request is being made.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Paisley, next time the honest yet vintage thing to do is raise your hands in front of your face and let out a Golden Movie era heroine scream from the horror movies. Best if you are a soprano, though.

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
I have always hated when people say "I'm sorry" after bumping into me. No you're not, just say excuse me. If I bumped into someone Im not sorry I did it, I reply with an "excuse me" as in excuse the fact I bumped into you. Often you cant help it, so you cant regret it, and regret would constitute a sorry. But, if you are walking on a crowded street, and someone bumps you on the arm, an excuse me would suffice.

I just think I'm sorry has lost all meaning today, and I feel bad about that. I always took I'm sorry to mean that the person who says it takes deep personal regret in whatever effect their action brought; pain, inconvenience and or any other negative outcome to the other person. You didnt say it lightly, and the person you said it to didnt forgive you lightly.

Now it seems to be an entitlement phrase. "I said I'm sorry, you should automatically forgive me."

I bring this up because today, I went to the bank. I was expecting a replacement debit card that should have been delivered last week. It was not there, and the woman I dealt with said a cold mechanical, "I'm sorry" about three times. I realized, she wasnt saying I'm sorry, she was saying no.

"I'm sorry, there isnt anything I can do right now."
"No, there isnt anything I can do right now."

I made me realize that many retailers say "I'm sorry" often as guise for "no, I cant/wont help you" and Im just realizing it.

Where have I been.

"I'm sorry" has also been taken as a phrase for laziness.

"Yeah, I just closed it, Im sorry."
Well, open it back up again. If it was JUST closed...

Has anyone else been irritated by the phrase "I'm Sorry"?

How were you raised to think on those words?

How were your grandparents raised to think of them?

Is it just me, or is this a new phenomenon? Because if its new, Im already ticked off.

LD

In New York, I generally don't think we say anything to someone we bump into. It's kind of generally expected that 20 people will bump into you on the sidewalk in Manhattan -- there's just too many people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats