Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Artist

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
You know how while watching old movies, you sometimes wonder if there are gene pools for certain eras, as people tend to have a distinctive look? If there is, I agree that casting took extras pains to find the perfect faces for even the most bit of a part. Each of Peppy's young male friends could have stepped out of a Fitzgerald story, and when she bumps into the gentleman in "Guardian Angel", my fist thought was, "oh my, it's Victor Lazlo."

Oh and Lizzie, you're so right about the quality of film over digital. I recently saw the digital version for the first time and it's somewhat flat and gray in comparison. I'd become used to certain scenes having certain color casts - a pinkish tinge here, a warm greenish yellow there, etc, not to mention the missing reel-change cues. I suppose it won't matter to most, but I've found myself telling friends who haven't seen it that they really should go to the inconvenient theatre to get the best possible experience.

Feraud

Bartender
Not so long ago I was in bar with a friend, talking about some of my favorite movies which happen to be B&W. Some kid that was at the same table kept looking at me and at some point could no longer restrain himself. He leaned forward and exclaimed, rather excidedly, that it has to be the most stupid thing in the whole wide world to watch old B&W (and sometimes even silent) films if you can have modern movies with bright colors, booming surround sound and cool CG effetcs - and all that in 3D! That's the whole point about watching movies, he said...
How much of a laugh did you and your friend have from that unsolicited and well thought out contribution? ;)

Chicago Jimmy

Familiar Face
My wife and I went yesterday to a wonderful restored 1928 theater (Tivoli) in Downers Grove, IL. The theater has only one huge screen, and watching films there are perfect. During the total silent scenes, you could hear a pin drop in the theater. The audience applauded at the end. We love going around Christmas...they have old holiday movies. A different film for every night.

Espee

Practically Family
Every time I've heard a TV or radio report about The Artist getting an award, or a nomination, they play "Sing Sing Sing" which isn't in the movie (fortunately) but is in the trailers... of course everybody who hasn't seen it, would "know it" by that music.
And I got the feeling, watching the dance finale of the film, that they were "trying for that Benny Goodman Sing, Sing, Sing feeling, without doing a steal." Which made it seem, to me, a bit beyond the 1932 end date of the story.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
The Artist just won best picture, best director, best actor and best costumes. I am so pleased that this film picked up so many well deserved awards. It is a victory for everyone who loves the golden era that a film like that wins in today's modern world! Hurrah for the Artist!

It also forced some class in the whole show. Wardrobes, sets, etc. Well done.
ONLY gripe: mentioning a certain director (during Best Pic acceptance) that flew the coop years ago. Why?

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thanking Douglas Fairbanks was a classy touch. Maybe it'll inspire a revival of his films.

It was the right thing to do. Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford did so much for Hollywood's motion picture industry. For instance, Fairbanks founded the Academy's library and archives, and Pickford founded the first retirement home for Hollywood's aged. They raised the bar again and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland