Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Present A Guy Could Ask For

jnicktem

One of the Regulars
I do not even know how to begin or how to fully express the feelings I have for what happened. So with that said I am just going to tell it as it happened.

As some of you know for the last several months I have been wanting a sahara Penman fedora, styled as a Crystal Skull hat. Ever since I bought an LC version in sahara for my Fiancee for her birthday, I’ve been wanting something similar. I have been meaning to order one for myself, but my Fiancee kept telling me that I shouldn’t and I should use that money for the wedding. To me what she said made sense so I held off on ordering.

Then, about two weeks ago, out of the blue she told me I could go ahead and order it! I am pretty sure I stole someone’s laptop to place the order!

Then- just yesterday- there was a knock on my door from the postman. He was carrying a large box with the “Penman Hat Co.” written on it! I didn’t know what to think… I JUST PUT IN THE ORDER TWO WEEKS AGO?! It didn’t make sense to me. At first I thought it must be a mistake and it is actually someone elses’ hat… and I should return it to John. But then I decided to take a look. I opened the box, and found the VERY fedora I have been coveting for the past several months! It was a sahara beaver felt fedora styled as a Crystal Skull, but with a slightly larger brim. This couldn’t be just a coincidence. I checked inside the sweatband and found that it was in exactly MY size! This hat HAD to be for me! But there was no way John’s wait list somehow went down to only 2 weeks!!!!

So I called up my Fiancee, Amanda, to tell her what showed up. She told me it was her present to me for our upcoming anniversery (Aug. 19th). I couldn’t believe it! I mean, what a thing for her to buy for me! I was shocked, and deeply touched that she put in so much thought into what to get me. This gift meant a lot to me, not just because it was what I have been wanting but because of who got it for me and for why. This is now easily my most favourite hat, and it is very special to me… just like my Fiancee.

So… the story doesn’t end here. I had to get back at John for keeping this a secret from me for all of this time! I thought we WERE friends!!! So I sent an e-mail to John saying that a package from the Penman Hat Co. showed up at my door today, and knowing that it had to be a mistake, had it returned to sender. Merely a couple of minutes later I got a call from John, who asked me in a panic if I actually did send it back!? Because it was for me! I told him I was just joking and I knew the whole story!

I am grateful that John did keep it a secret, because it wouldn’t have been nearly as good of a surprise if I knew it was coming!

Now getting on to the hat. What can I say? The hat is AMAZING! I don’t think John is capable of work that is not amazing. The sahara felt is by far the softest and floppiest I have ever owned! The ribbon seems to be vintage, with a sort of dark brown/copperish tint to it. It is the perfect match to the felt. The bow is fantastic… very organic.

But we all know how great John’s work is. So I best be putting up some pics for everyone to see!

First, a pic of my lovely Fiancee wearing my new Penman!
saharapenman3.jpg

saharapenman4.jpg

saharapenman5.jpg

saharapenman6.jpg

saharapenman2.jpg

And one of me wearing it:

saharapenman1.jpg

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
That's a great story, BEAUTIFUL hat from the pictures, and dare I say, we need to see many more pictures of this lovely lady in hats. As I opined in the thread about ladies in hats, there's just something about that is quite extra attractive.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Great hat, it suits you and your fiancee very well!

I love this combo colors, I would love to have a similar hat but with John's Casablanca style (but I can't at the moment, I have to change my car...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran