Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BEST shoe color !

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
Those shoes are great. The decorative stitching is cool, but I prefer to keep conservative.

What's not conservative about a top stitch? I think it just ads class... aren't dress shoes a conservative thing to wear? I'm pretty conservative my self but, when it comes to dressing, it's different for me... I want the things we don't see everday.;)

=WR=

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
My old shoes

Believe it or not, I bought these shoes back in 1991 and wore them once before stowing them away till this year !!! Pity is, the colour doesn't really 'go' with too many clothing colours ( or so I'm told ). I've only worn them with some Mushroom coloured Bills M1 khakis. What else do you think they'd blend with ?
Colin

tanshoe.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
beautiful shoes Marc, but how can you find the time* to trawl the non-vintage listings of ebay AND the vintage listings ?
It was a lucky break. I typed in "dress shoes" on eBay's search function, and these popped up at the top of the page.

Truth is, I almost never look at anything on eBay outside of the vintage clothing area. Once in a while, I'll scan the "1939-'40 World's Fair" section, but that's pretty much it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Cordovan shoes: great idea! I just got a pair of navy shoes; my next pair will be cordovan. They'll go with everything but pastels.

shindeco

A-List Customer
I have a pair of Dacks (very old Canadian shoe maker -- started in 1834) made of water buffalo that are oxblood. They are the sturdiest shoes I've ever seen. My dad has a pair that are older than I am! (and I'm 38). They're also incredibly comfortable.

:eek:fftopic: Dack's is a great shoemaker; their "Brentwood" model was first introduced in 1938 and is still being produced. (I have a pair of those, too and love 'em)
http://www.dacks-shoes.com/classics3.htm

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Silhouette, those are great lookin' shoes! I agree that they'd look great with grayish blue or navy blue slacks. I have a pair like that but with a moc-toe so I wear it with jeans occassionally too.
I think they'd look nice with linens and khakis, too.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've got a pair of cap-toe oxblood Florshiems. Love the color, and as Marc stated, goes with anything. I think they cost me all of $20. They really set off a tan suit.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have a pair of 1930s Oxfords by good old Loake in a nice restrained oxblood/russett. The vamp is oxblood and the toe cap and quarters a very red rusett. When I got them they were covered in layers of brown polish and dust, i didn't realize what i'd found till I got the gunk off with acetone. Unfortunately the quarters didn't come up too well, they were quite badly stained.

Great shoes but of limited matchability (is that a real word?). A bit too flashy for khakis or tweeds. Very nice with the right brown trousers or suit though. Cost me the grand sum of £5.

shoe_pup

New in Town
silhouette53 said:

I also think these shoes would look smashing with navy and maybe some greys. My rule of thumb has always been that contrasting colored shoes (or hosiery) call attention to your feet. If you have on great shoes, then do it. If your shoes are less than fantastic, wear a bright tie.

shoe_pup

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:

These are very nice. They're appropriately conservative for my taste, and I think the contrast stitching is a beautiful, and understated, flourish.

Oxblood may be less common these days, but if you expand your search to include burgundy/merlot/cordovan you'll find a number of options in classic styles.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Wow! What a great price, but after you showed us this to us, I defenetly have to hate you!:p lol

Does anyone know where I could get a new pair of dress shows in oxblood?:cool2: My old black wingtip shoes are getting a bit to small!:(

EDIT: Just a short search on ebay and I found a pair of real cordovan oxblood cap toes for 1,00€!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Oxblood and purple

How well would oxblood shoes go with a purple blouse? I have an outfit of dark green pants, a gray jacket and a purple blouse and black sash. Black shoes would go with this, but I don't have any.

The real Henry

Practically Family
As said before: Oxblood goes with everything!

But I think it needs to be that vintage tone of oxblood, because modern shoes in that colour often look more like a reddish brown!

Regards,
Henrik

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Oxblood Shoes

Marc Chevalier said:
It ain't black.

-------------It ain't brown.

---------------------------It's OXBLOOD.

You don't see the oxblood color too much these days, unless you swear by "preppy" penny loafers and tassel loafers. Pity, because oxblood goes with EVERYTHING. Blue suit? Oxblood matches it perfectly. Brown? Say hello to oxblood. Grey? Ditto. Black? Definitely. Green? Yes indeed. Taupe, khaki, tan or beige? Yup.

Oxblood is the perfect color for dressy shoes. Not only does it match with all other colors, but it looks, well, aristocratic. Elegant with a capital "E".

Seeing is believing. Below is a pair of never-worn oxblood dress shoes from the later 1930s. What do you think?

shoos002.jpg
-----
shoos003.jpg

Totally agree and always have a few pairs for all occasions even towards the cherry red you used to get in Church's. look what these brought ...http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=200098405395&rd=1&rd=1

PenMan

Familiar Face
6 or 7 months ago I won a pair of Allen Edmonds Stockbridge in oxblood on Ebay. They came to, if I remember correctly, $29.95 plus postage for a new pair. That more or less completes the set for me, since I now have the Stockbridge in oxblood and chili, and have their leather-soled variant in black (a terrific shoe).

I always liked cordovan, oxblood, burgundy--or whatever you want to call it. I thought, though, that it was very much out of style. I don't care all that much, but it raised a problem for me: what belt do you wear with it? I can't find a matching one, so I have been wearing a dark brown belt that looks only ok. Also, I can't find a matching watch band, so wear a metal rather than leather one with them. Any advice on what to do about the belt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR