Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

DRB

One Too Many
I found a nice documentation about. Borsalino. It a Google translate. The Original is German.
Very Intresting, in early time, they produced only with beaver hair. Now with Argentine rabbit hair, it makes the soft hat, Australian
makes it tough. But read self.

Thanks, that was an interesting read. I am assuming that the Argentine rabbit hair that is referred to is actually a breed of rabbit called Rex. I have some experience with these skins. I have found out that there is a huge difference between Rex rabbit fur from Argentina and Rex from other countries such as China, Czech Republic, and elsewhere. I went so far as to send back the other Rex that I had ordered and re-ordered the Argentinian Rex ( http://www.chichesterinc.com/RabbitSkinsRex.htm ).

The Argentinian Rex had far less guard hairs which of course made for a softer fur. I compared it to some Chinchilla pelts I had on hand and was amazed at how close the Argentinian Rex came (but not quite there) to the softness of Chinchilla.

One problem that these super soft rabbits share with Chinchilla is that, when shorn, the fur is short and slick which makes it difficult, but not impossible, to felt. Don't get me wrong, it is easier to felt Rex than Chinchilla.

Australian rabbit makes for a very durable hat, I guess that is why Akubra has the reputation of making a very durable (but not as soft) hat.

Currently, I am working with Angora Rabbit. It averages a micron count of about 10. The human hair is 75 microns and cashmere is about 18.5 average.
Angora rabbit hair is long and is so easy to felt that all you have to do is give it a dirty look and it will felt. Like chinchilla, you have to be very careful with Angora fur as the softest of breezes will send it airborne.

IMHO a mix of angora and beaver would make a super soft and durable hybrid of the highest quality.
This is Rex Rabbit:
May112011RexRabbitfromArgentinafinest3a.jpg

This is Chinchilla:
May112011Chinchillas4a.jpg

This is Angora Rabbit:
AngoraRabbit.jpg

This is Angora (micron count 10) and Extra fine Merino Wool (micron count 18.5):
Felt-O-Maticfirstattempt-halfangorarabbithalfextrafinemerino2a.jpg

And this is Furgora. This a name that Kangol hats uses for it's mix of regular rabbit and angora rabbit:
furgora-rabbitandangorafromKangol.jpg

I hope I haven't bored you guys/gals too much.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, that was an interesting read. I am assuming that the Argentine rabbit hair that is referred to is actually a breed of rabbit called Rex. I have some experience with these skins. I have found out that there is a huge difference between Rex rabbit fur from Argentina and Rex from other countries such as China, Czech Republic, and elsewhere. I went so far as to send back the other Rex that I had ordered and re-ordered the Argentinian Rex ( http://www.chichesterinc.com/RabbitSkinsRex.htm ).

Thanks Dennis, for the interesting contribution about the different pelt composition.
It a own science and a lot of experience necessary to create a good fur felt.
I see, you are on the best way to make your own experience necessary.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I am pleased to join the brotherhood... sort of!

No-- this is undoubtedly a Borsalino-- an Alessandria, (?)-- but definitely does not meet the Open Road type criteria I think one would expect from this line. Kind of like when Stetson started redefining Whippets, etc., perhaps? In any case the liner says Alessandria while the sweatband says "Renna." I don't know how to interpret that.

005copyjx.jpg

To be quite honest, I've been eyeing this one for some time in a local shop, and thought the owner had it overpriced. I finally got up the chutzpah to ask if she had some wiggle room, and though it wasn't as much wiggling as I had hoped, I nabbed it.

I have to say it is incredibly soft and comfortable, and I think the sweatband is un-reeded. Even though it's not the Alessandria I'm used to seeing photos of, I really dig the green heather and 2 1/8" felted edge.
The crease was a little uneven and the ribbon had a wrinkle, but all that has been straightened out now. I think it wants to hold a four point diamond.

It is sooooo comfy.

006copywz.jpg

007copyl.jpg

008copyt.jpg

009copyk.jpg

010copyn.jpg

011copyx.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Renna is the model of your hat. Borsalino hats were headquartered in Alessandria, so that is why it appears on all the liners. Alessandria is also a hat model, thin ribbon and bound brim.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Nice one, Jeff. With its Pipestone origins it did not stray far afield after all these years. Very neat to have the original owner's name and address still attached. Might be researchable if you are at all interested in doing so.

DRB

One Too Many
Manfred: That hat has a Lot of style. I'll bet you feel good walking down the street wearing it. What color is the ribbon? Green or gray?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, all for the Borsalino benvenuto!

Welcome to the club Jeff. I hope you got a little after season price consideration on your Renna... it's Italian for reindeer. :)

About 15% off the tagged price. Reindeer, eh? Brainstorming for a photo shoot... ;)

Nice one, Jeff. With its Pipestone origins it did not stray far afield after all these years.

In my experience, this is consistent with most things/people that originated in these parts! Kidding aside, there certainly is a lot of info that could yield interesting findings.

I hardly took it off all evening yesterday.

Manfred, I second hatophile's commentary-- super sweatband and lining!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic