Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino_1w.jpg

That's a hell of a find - yummy! :eusa_clap

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, but it is not the Alessandria model. A Alessandria hat is a thin ribbon and a thin bound edge brim. Alessandria appears on the logo because it is the city where Borsalino hats are made. As far as the age, you are probably close to the correct age, but the dating system you are using is flawed.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Good morning....We came across your website in our research of a top hat we found in our attic and wondered if you would be able to help us. We are not sure how old it is and were interested in finding out how to have it appraised. The hat is in the original box and is in excellent condition.... looks like it was hardly worn. It does not look to be silk, maybe beaver? Would anyone have any advice on how to research this further? Attached (I think) are three photos, included is one of what looks to be a model number with a signature of perhaps the maker which should help in the dating.

http://www.kodakgallery.ca/ViewSlideshow.action?&collidparam=676777010410.476908010410.1338818326671

What looks like a signature is the style of hat- cilindro(cylinder)--Italian for Top Hat. Likely a 50's silk hat.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
TPD I have Hat envy for that find of yours.....

I have just acquired this beautiful Borso.... was originally sold at Burts Clothes in Chicago and has "PESCA" embossed on the leather sweatband...

I believe that means Peach and the felt on this hat is more dense that any other Borsalino I have...

2b1ojr.jpg

dqlqvp.jpg

x6j4i1.jpg

ejio9t.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
TPD I have Hat envy for that find of yours.....

I have just acquired this beautiful Borso.... was originally sold at Burts Clothes in Chicago and has "PESCA" embossed on the leather sweatband...

I believe that means Peach and the felt on this hat is more dense that any other Borsalino I have...

Wow - love that color!

TPD166

One Too Many
Great hat, but it is not the Alessandria model. A Alessandria hat is a thin ribbon and a thin bound edge brim. Alessandria appears on the logo because it is the city where Borsalino hats are made. As far as the age, you are probably close to the correct age, but the dating system you are using is flawed.

Thank you - I always thought the Alessandria was a thin ribbon, but it was sold as such and had the marking.

TPD166

One Too Many
Today my first Borsalino arrived - and now I know what all the fuss is about. Based on what I have read, I believe this to be an early 1950s hat (1952 if the serial number theory is correct). The rear of the sweatband is taped, the front is corragated, and it has a cloth size tag. It was sold by "Marshall Field & Company - The Store for Men." It is in beautiful condition (other than the stain on the lining as shown) and I got for a good price with an ebay Buy-it-Now that had been listed for about 5 minutes!

If anyone has additional information as age, etc., that would be great! Does this now qualify me for membership??

Thank you to everyone for the kind words, compliments, and information about my new Borsalino!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
It's taken me a while to read through this entire thread, great stuff but a bit disappointed so many image links no longer appear. Anyway, I've had a current model rain proof borsy but got this stingy brimmed one about a month ago, my first vintage. I believe by the price tag it is from the 1960's. According to Wiki The Kleinhans Co, a mens store in Buffalo, NY was sold to the Hartmarx chain in 1967. Although it has the G.B. FU Lazzaro label it also has the Alessandria marking:

P1000676.jpg

P1000679.jpg

Hard to read the sticker but it appears to read "Folco" ? and the second word is unreadable:

P1000684.jpg

Price tag:

P1000695.jpg

Basted stitch ? under ribbon, note moded edge:

P1000689.jpg

Poor noggin shot, felt is dark brown, black ribbon, and wind trolley:

P1000704.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino 1950s Nutria Homburg

5.5x2-1-2; model Gulaita; color Torio c. Nera

It's one of those Homburgs that takes front pinches or side dents anywhere, dry, and holds them. The felt is fantastic.

P1070775.jpg

P1070787.jpg

P1070793.jpg

P1070790.jpg

P1070799.jpg

P1070794.jpg

P1070783.jpg

P1070779.jpg

P1070782.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members