Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I posted this one in the new hats thread, but I suppose it belongs here as well.

Anyone happen to have any ideas as to when it might have been made?

IMG_04240.JPG
IMG_04260.JPG

Last edited:
Based on the paper label I would say it's early 1950s but it could easily be older. Borsalinos (Italian market, American market, German market, English market, ect) are very difficult to date unless there is a date stamp behind the sweatband or with American market Borsalinos an OPS (Korean Conflict) tag which Carouselvic mentioned a few posts back. This is a really fantastic (form, bow design, felt, components) Borsalino!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Two excellent Borsalinos I missed in these days.
The Bond one is sold in Milan and often in the old days some "special" shops in Italy had the privilege to have their name on the linen above the Borsalino label.
CONELRAD Borsalino homburg is marvelous. I like this "edition" with a particular bow and an high crown.
A real treasure!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Somehow it looks as if the brim was cut down and a binding added. Its hard to tell from the pictures though. Nice bow on the hat!

eli104

New in Town
A question I am sure has been asked, but for which I cannot find the answer: I know that SOME Borsalino hats can be rolled, and I have seen the coffin boxes on eBay... but can ALL Borsalino hats be rolled? And for how long? I have a couple of fedoras from the 1960s (felt, with leather sweat bands) and would like to take at least one on a trip that includes about 10 hours of plan travel. Rather than wear it or risk harm by it being crushed in the overhead, I wanted to roll and box it properly. Just not sure if the old Torino or Amiata would survive the trip.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I've been working carefully to steam the hats into proper shape, just don't want to ruin them for something silly.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for comments on the Borsalino guys . Steve, this is the mate to the grey one in Navy from the same shop in Milan also. Very sweet hats indeed!

Last edited:

eli104

New in Town
Bump
A question I am sure has been asked, but for which I cannot find the answer: I know that SOME Borsalino hats can be rolled, and I have seen the coffin boxes on eBay... but can ALL Borsalino hats be rolled? And for how long? I have a couple of fedoras from the 1960s (felt, with leather sweat bands) and would like to take at least one on a trip that includes about 10 hours of plan travel. Rather than wear it or risk harm by it being crushed in the overhead, I wanted to roll and box it properly. Just not sure if the old Torino or Amiata would survive the trip.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I've been working carefully to steam the hats into proper shape, just don't want to ruin them for something silly.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Not all the Borsalino are rollable.
Actualy the Icaro and some "country" hats could be rolled and put it in a goffin or pocket.
Many years ago many were sold, here in Italy, to foreigner tourists in a coffin well rolled to save space inside the luggage.
I really not suggest you to roll your Borsalinos for a travel, by the way it depends which type of Borsalino you have in hands.
Amiata and Torino are colors for Borsalino not models, so show them here, outside and inside, and it will be more clear if they can survive the trip.

eli104

New in Town
Not all the Borsalino are rollable.
Actualy the Icaro and some "country" hats could be rolled and put it in a goffin or pocket.
Many years ago many were sold, here in Italy, to foreigner tourists in a coffin well rolled to save space inside the luggage.
I really not suggest you to roll your Borsalinos for a travel, by the way it depends which type of Borsalino you have in hands.
Amiata and Torino are colors for Borsalino not models, so show them here, outside and inside, and it will be more clear if they can survive the trip.

Here are a couple of specific hats I am asking about (shown inside and out), whether they can survive a "roll" in a coffin box:
IMG_5803.jpg IMG_5804.jpg IMG_5792.jpg IMG_5793.jpg IMG_5808.jpg IMG_5809.jpg

I'm pretty darn sure this last one is a Yes:
IMG_5798.jpg IMG_5799.jpg

The part of the hat that will complain is the sweatband. If it is leather, thin and supple, it is possible. The hat will not be happier for it. If the sweatband is fabric it will be easier.

eli104

New in Town
Eli, the last one has a fabric sweatband I suppose.
If so it is the best candidate to stand in the coffin

Yes, the last one is easy... but I'd really like to know if I can roll the others. Some say yes (I've seen a few online "recommendations" from folks purporting to be experts). But indeed, these have leader sweatbands.

I'm talking about 8-10 hours rolled for a flight, not days or weeks on end. I will take "no" if that's really the answer. Just want to make sure if anyone has ever done this before.

John Galt

Vendor
Eli,

Any hat with a standard reeded sweatband will be problematic because a standard reed is a heavy enough monofilament to break or maintain the bend from folding. Also, as noted, a heavier leather sweatband makes folding and rolling difficult.

Some lightweight hats have thinner reeds and sweatbands would be a better choice. An unreeded hat would be a very good choice. I built a hat with a fabric sweatband and have frequently rolled it for travel with good results, hanging it in a steamy shower in the hotel room and reshaping on arrival.

eli104

New in Town
Eli,

Any hat with a standard reeded sweatband will be problematic because a standard reed is a heavy enough monofilament to break or maintain the bend from folding. Also, as noted, a heavier leather sweatband makes folding and rolling difficult.

Some lightweight hats have thinner reeds and sweatbands would be a better choice. An unreeded hat would be a very good choice. I built a hat with a fabric sweatband and have frequently rolled it for travel with good results, hanging it in a steamy shower in the hotel room and reshaping on arrival.

<sigh> OK thanks... My best guess is that aside from the one fabric hat, the rest will not survive the rolling. I'm not sure what you mean by "reeds," but I can say that (unless I can pack a good small hatbox in a large sturdy suitcase), most of these are full leather sweatbands and will likely not take the roll even for a few hours without a full steaming on the other end.

Thanks for the help!

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Greetings to you all. I've been following FL for more than a few years and have learned a great deal from you experts. I am so very far from your expertise however. I was hoping one or more of you could assist on a Borsalino dating and material question.
I was in Vienna Austria in 2005 and went in search of a high quality hat. I found both the hat and the store: Oberwalder Wein. An amazing place. I purchased a Borsalino, leather band, no liner. Code 110756, Col 0721, 95A008112.
I have been trying to determine the age (1995?) and the material and style of the hat but with little success. Perhaps I can be directed to a site or learn from one of you.
The hat was the beginning of other such purchases--am blessed to have a tolerant wife--of a Cervo, a Borsalino Film from JJ hatters, a HJ Poet, a Garrison Indy, and recently an excellent hand made beaver from finevintagefedoras on Etsy. The original Borsalino I purchased while overseas for the USG at the time started my passion. As such, I'd like to know more about it.
With many thanks for your help and wishing you much success in this forum. I hope to become more active.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21