Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Hey folks!
I decided that I needed a little more Borsalino in my life. So I did something about it.

Liking this style as I do, it was an easy decision, especially with a sub $40 BIN and free fast shipping. This velour is so soft and absoutely unstiffened that it needs to be bashed before each wearing. Fit is perfect, , hopefully the sun will peek out in the next day or two so I can get a good shot to really show the felt. 1 5/8" brim, crown variable.
If anyone knows the vintage, please share!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Interesting! In most cases the gross grain sweatband would point to a lady's vintage Borsalino. What side is the knot?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Another package at the door todaý. More Borsalino in my life. I bet the mail lady is wondering about my shopping habit...:)
This one was on Etsy. Also under 40 bucks.

f43e1ba5c96d3348b1e7555692ab9de6.jpg
29e2b7a5fdf54ef2928b4ef833a90ebf.jpg
9fe9e75415f7e1f4a6699805734695b9.jpg
7ce0675a948745a669d224f27ebab71b.jpg
50c11c0f3e224ab8cc356744f3e829a4.jpg
4a1975dda4f0da81916e0a3529b12baa.jpg
986c89043d48d74f3418afa02c8662be.jpg
b721a19b17f15c98de1b96a3ab8b9923.jpg
2cb8353f02a93986a2deb61d86c773af.jpg

The felt is thin and lightweight, although smaller than my Como, it weighs 104 g compared to 88 g on the unlined, slim, unreeded sweatbanded Como. Overwelt edge, 1 5/8" brim, 4 1/2" as creased.
Nice hat!
As usual, any insight into it's age would be appreciated.

Another package at the door todaý. More Borsalino in my life. I bet the mail lady is wondering about my shopping habit...:)
This one was on Etsy. Also under 40 bucks.

The felt is thin and lightweight, although smaller than my Como, it weighs 104 g compared to 88 g on the unlined, slim, unreeded sweatbanded Como. Overwelt edge, 1 5/8" brim, 4 1/2" as creased.
Nice hat!
As usual, any insight into it's age would be appreciated.

Super! It's somewhere between later 1950s to early / mid 1970s. My guess is mid 1960s to early 1970s.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks mayser.That was what I was thinking by the dimensions. Just curious, when did the major hatmakers in Europe do away with liner tip protectors? Around the same time as most U.S. companies phased them out?

eli104

New in Town
Hey friends. In New York for the holiday, had dinner out last evening and a waiter crashed a tray of food right next to our table. My 1950's Borsalino was splashed on the hatband with something we assume is oil (from the green beans that went everywhere). I tried some water and a toothbrush in the hotel last night, to little or no avail.

Any recommendations for cleaning that do not involve taking the whole band off? The hat is pristine having belonged to my wife's grandfather, and having been very lightly worn until this year!

Thanks!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Step one, I guess, might be trying some Woolite solution and a soft brush, but you run the risk of water marks. You could also try spot cleaning with petroleum naphtha. That runs some of the same risks, having a clean spot on the hat and all, but if it's in pretty good shape it might not be terribly noticeable. Or, you could send it out to have the entire thing cleaned and re-blocked.

Myself, I'd toss it in a bucket of naphtha for a few hours, but most aren't comfortable with that.

You're in CT; I don't know if DelMonico offers any services, but they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

eli104

New in Town
You're in CT; I don't know if DelMonico offers any services, but they might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Yes, I already had one hat cleaned and blocked at DelMonico. They loved this one, which I wore in when dropping the other. I was just hoping to avoid any risk of an entire cleaning, as that seems to have stiffened the other hat (from the 60's) and flatten it out.

What is this "naphthal" you speak of? Where can I find it?

RJR

Naptha,white gas,Coleman fuel.Look up "naptha bath" here on the Lounge.I have had really goo luck on spots with a product called "Tech",

eli104

New in Town
Ok thanks. Im headed out of town for a week, hope that doesn't allow things to "set" for too long. I'll give it a try when I get back, or run the hat down to DelMonico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viclip

Practically Family
I would try dry talcum powder as a poultice on the oily stains, leaving it in place overnight while positioning the hat so that the splashed area was facing down thereby harnessing the assistance of gravity. This might take several applications.

Some use corn starch in lieu of talcum powder however, I find that the talc not only does a better job but it's also far easier to brush off nicely between applications.

eli104

New in Town
But will the talc work if I won't be able to get to it for another week? That's my problem right now... Vacation and no chance to try cleaning before New Year's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran