Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

glxie63

New in Town
Couple more shots of my recent find as requested. Definitely not an american size 7! I measured it and it matched the punti 7 (what the heck is punti?) I wear 7 1/4 and it is much too big for me unfortunately. I don't see a model name but I do see Nutria, which I surmise is the animal it was made from.
size.jpg IMG_20160116_084601510-001.jpg
otherside.jpg
IMG_20160116_084859558-001.jpg

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"what the heck is punti?"
Punti = Italian term for older style European hat sizing, also used in at least France and Germany, but not in the United Kingdom or Ireland.
Punti 4 = 55cm, 4-1/2 = 56cm, 5 = 57cm. 5-1/2 = 58cm, 6 = 59cm, 6-1/2 = 60cm, 7 = 61cm, etc.

tommyK

One Too Many
glxie, If no one else is going to say it, I will. I want to buy that hat from you!

-----pm sent and sold!------

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
With these vintage Borsalino's I've found the 7 5/8 fits me better than my usual 7 1/2. I guess they were sized a little small then like the new ones tend to be now or other factors have shrunk the vintages ones I've gotten

eli104

New in Town
Interesting. I have a 7 ½ from the 60's (was my fathers) that fits perfectly. But a 6 from the 50's (from my wife's grandfather) that is only a tiny bit small. Maybe we should have changed to the metric system in the 70's after all.

- eli104

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
In July 1912 my wife got me this Borsalino for my birthday...We picked it up in a vintage clothes costume shop for movies and tv in Istanbul....I'm now applying for membership here at the Borsalino Brotherhood....

At the time I couldn't post pics, but some of you fine folks asked me questions....and the general concensus was early 50's....Well here are some photos now....what do you think? Were we close at dating it or not?
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
It's very soft and bashes very easy...Here I just put a diamond bash in...
image.jpg

It's an open crown at 5 1/2" and the brim is 2"...The lining is stitched in, and there used to be an onion skin cover on the liner at the dome of the crown but it recently disintergrated, you can see a litte greyish line around the top of the lining where it used to be attached...I trimmed what was left out with small scissors...

Thanks for any help in dating this...

Last edited:

eli104

New in Town
Here there is a measurements table for hats.
Borsalino use the French size method and here you will find all the comparisons
5uizrm.jpg

So to be clear, all those size 6 hats I'm seeing on eBay that are marked "Vintage" and show "Antqua Casa" (meaning made for the European market) are most likely 7-3/8 in US sizing? This would explain why the size 6 I have from inside the family, but purchased in Italy, is so easily stretched to 7-1/2 to fit me.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Eli the table is clear :rolleyes:
I have posted it because my purpose is to avoid misunderstandings in sizes, above all in Borsalino
French size 6 is 59 cm. in EU and US 7 3/8 and 7 1/4 UK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt