Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

So to be clear, all those size 6 hats I'm seeing on eBay that are marked "Vintage" and show "Antqua Casa" (meaning made for the European market) are most likely 7-3/8 in US sizing? This would explain why the size 6 I have from inside the family, but purchased in Italy, is so easily stretched to 7-1/2 to fit me.

I normally assume that, if the logo has the Reg. US Pat. Off., it's an American size.

Reactions: RJR

40Cal

One Too Many
Nice brown Borsalino.
hats12416 005.jpg
hats12416 006.jpg

In July 1912 my wife got me this Borsalino for my birthday...We picked it up in a vintage clothes costume shop for movies and tv in Istanbul....I'm now applying for membership here at the Borsalino Brotherhood....

At the time I couldn't post pics, but some of you fine folks asked me questions....and the general concensus was early 50's....Well here are some photos now....what do you think? Were we close at dating it or not?

Welcome to the Borsalino Brotherhood. You are undoubtedly our most senior member. The hat however is somewhat more recent than the 1950s.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
In July 1912 my wife got me this Borsalino for my birthday...We picked it up in a vintage clothes costume shop for movies and tv in Istanbul....I'm now applying for membership here at the Borsalino Brotherhood....

At the time I couldn't post pics, but some of you fine folks asked me questions....and the general concensus was early 50's....Well here are some photos now....what do you think? Were we close at dating it or not?
View attachment 42844
View attachment 42845 View attachment 42846 View attachment 42847 View attachment 42848 View attachment 42849
It's very soft and bashes very easy...Here I just put a diamond bash in...
View attachment 42855

It's an open crown at 5 1/2" and the brim is 2"...The lining is stitched in, and there used to be an onion skin cover on the liner at the dome of the crown but it recently disintergrated, you can see a litte greyish line around the top of the lining where it used to be attached...I trimmed what was left out with small scissors...

Thanks for any help in dating this...

I'm no Borsalino expert .. but that is definitely not a 50s hat

I might guess 60s or even 70s

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Thanks for the welcome.....So what decade Alan do you estimate this Borsa is from .
Oh, and if I'm the most Senior Member, what decade do you estimate I'm from? Ha,ha...lol! Suppose that 1912 must have gotten a few laughs....lol! Whew....

Rewrite: 2012....

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
9be44ac6-02d2-4d4a-b897-ae767a0e255c_zps43p0g67l.jpg

Just landed my third of these thin ribbon Borso's.

Which lead me to a theory about these, maybe you guys can help confirm or debunk. the one on the left with no wind cord is labeled "Ta/Ludola" and the two right hats with wind cords are labeled "Ta/Ludora".
Could the no wind cord thin ribbons be labeled 'Ludola" and the ones with wind cords be labeled "Ludora"?

Perhaps they're just of different vintage or perhaps there is no logic behind it

Last edited:

RJR

Which lead me to a theory about these, maybe you guys can help confirm or debunk. the one on the left with no wind cord is labeled "Ta/Ludola" and the two right hats with wind cords are labeled "Ta/Ludora".
Could the no wind cord thin ribbons be labeled 'Ludola" and the ones with wind cords be labeled "Ludora"?

Perhaps they're just of different vintage or perhaps there is no logic behind it
Really nice,I'm curious about the translation as well.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up

I had to look at only two hats to find exceptions to your theory.

Last edited:
Lovely collection. Remember that a lot of wind trolleys were clipped along the way. My Ta-less hats say Ludoela... which totally helps to clarify the situation. 8^O

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

so beautiful Tommy !!!

I'm on the prowl for one of these

Interesting side note!

This size conversion chart from Der Filzhut (The Felt Hat), seine Geschichte und seine Herstellung (Its History and Preparation). Hrsg.v.d. Deutschen Hutmacher-Zeitung (German Hat Maker Newspaper). 1936 uses 1/4 French Point and 1/2 cm sizes.

16778799247_74b84c0d7a_b.jpg

I have never seen a Borsalino in a 1/4 French Point size (1/2 cm) but I do have some pre WWII JHS hats in 1/4 French Point sizes (1/2 cm). For example here is a Point 5 3/4 which would 58 1/2 cm.

9584620444_10a5637cd5_b.jpg

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran