Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The gas explosion in the nearby building in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah.... forgot about that somehow

that was in Borough Park right next to the store....scary

I'll be going to the original Broadway location in Williamsburg

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wish I could go with you...Again! I was contemplating another Alassadria too. When I was there a sweet Silverbelly was being wrapped for shipping. Nice hand! Very nice hand! Almost purchased. But now that I know how one size is the same in each model, I have a better idea what to order on line. As a hed's up, their Alassandrias are about $290 plus NY State tax...

yeah I'm aware of the price
can't wait to handle as many hats as possible tomorrow morning

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
modern Alessandria purchased today at Bencraft

a957af5cf101bcb50902522110027216.jpg

3f903075d7e044e1133742bd591d67ad.jpg

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
modern Alessandria purchased today at Bencraft

a957af5cf101bcb50902522110027216.jpg

3f903075d7e044e1133742bd591d67ad.jpg

He shoots, he scores......looks beautiful....lets see it in a headshot please...what are your impressions and thoughts of this hat....Looks great from here....

PS...yes I was referring to the explosion and lost store...and Steve lost his lifelong hat collection....I haven't seen him here since....I'm hoping he is doing well...I didn't know about Steve's Dad, my condolences aswell....Man, we all have those life defining, trying and tragic times...If Steven sees this....My thoughts and prayers are with you....

Last edited:
Yes same here.

PS...yes I was referring to the explosion and lost store...and Steve lost his lifelong hat collection....I haven't seen him here since....I'm hoping he is doing well...I didn't know about Steve's Dad, my condolences aswell....Man, we all have those life defining, trying and tragic times...If Steven sees this....My thoughts and prayers are with you....

Very sorry to hear this.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Saw the Trionfo liners at the Borsalino factory and large number of Bencraft hats.

(Click on Photo to Expand!)

24102371784_adf3974e23_h.jpg

I was told yesterday that there is apparently a new owner of Borsalino and he is not honoring many past accounts ... including Bencraft who has been one of the major US accounts since 1948

they are in negotiations but it is affecting Bencrafts business ... Robert told me that there is a possibility that the Borsalinos that they have in stock could be the last ones they get

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
He shoots, he scores......looks beautiful....lets see it in a headshot please...what are your impressions and thoughts of this hat....Looks great from here....

thanks brother ... you can see it on my head in the Monster Bash thread ... and I'll most likely wear it today

... yeah that explosion affected Bencraft pretty drastically ... Robert told me yesterday that the Fire Dept. hosed down close to the entire stock in the store ... and I guess Steve had some stuff in there that was not replaceable

couple that with the loss of his father around the same time and you got yourself a terrible stretch

prayers are with Steve, his family ... and the entire Bencraft organization

I was told yesterday that there is apparently a new owner of Borsalino and he is not honoring many past accounts ... including Bencraft who has been one of the major US accounts since 1948

they are in negotiations but it is affecting Bencrafts business ... Robert told me that there is a possibility that the Borsalinos that they have in stock could be the last ones they get

Sorry to hear that. Appears Borsalino wants to move in a different direction (?).

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear that. Appears Borsalino wants to move in a different direction (?).

it sure seems that way ... but what could that direction be ?
a store like Bencraft moves a ton of Borsalino hats ... a large number of them being religious hats being in Williamsburg.
... would the direction be pull accounts from stores who move units ?
seems slightly odd

but I guess none of us know the inner workings of the relationships ... just seems unfortunate

it sure seems that way ... but what could that direction be ?
a store like Bencraft moves a ton of Borsalino hats ... a large number of them being religious hats being in Williamsburg.
... would the direction be pull accounts from stores who move units ?
seems slightly odd

but I guess none of us know the inner workings of the relationships ... just seems unfortunate
I heard about a possible change in direction but no details.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It is very likely that the new Borsalino ownership changes the tables.
The image of the brand Borsalino in Italy and in Europe is confusing and overpriced for the product offered.
In the rest of the world and the US in particular Bencraft has maintained high brand visibility.
What bubble in the pot in the Borsalino run is hard to say, considering the short time in which the new owner has taken over the command table.
It remains to define the near future of a historic company and its immense possibilities that did not have appropriate run for too many years.
Considering that the best Borsalino hats are currently sold in the United States thought that was the starting point for a renaissance. From the words of Steven this seems to be far away.
I also believe that the agreement between Bencraft and Borsalino has had, in recent years certainly, a positive inclination (slight or marked not know) for the New York seller.
Perhaps now in a readjustment of the brand this favorable position is questioned.
I think there are two souls within the Borsalino: one linked to the immeasurable heritage of the brand less able to develop their own goals and the one linked to the sale of the eighties in which the trademark has been used as a signature for too many unnecessary things. The production of hats has always fluctuated, in the last twenty years, with a good balance towards the bad taste of the brand first. The product will follow ......maybe.
I will see if I can have more fresh new o_O

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It is very likely that the new Borsalino ownership changes the tables.
The image of the brand Borsalino in Italy and in Europe is confusing and overpriced for the product offered.
In the rest of the world and the US in particular Bencraft has maintained high brand visibility.
What bubble in the pot in the Borsalino run is hard to say, considering the short time in which the new owner has taken over the command table.
It remains to define the near future of a historic company and its immense possibilities that did not have appropriate run for too many years.
Considering that the best Borsalino hats are currently sold in the United States thought that was the starting point for a renaissance. From the words of Steven this seems to be far away.
I also believe that the agreement between Bencraft and Borsalino has had, in recent years certainly, a positive inclination (slight or marked not know) for the New York seller.
Perhaps now in a readjustment of the brand this favorable position is questioned.
I think there are two souls within the Borsalino: one linked to the immeasurable heritage of the brand less able to develop their own goals and the one linked to the sale of the eighties in which the trademark has been used as a signature for too many unnecessary things. The production of hats has always fluctuated, in the last twenty years, with a good balance towards the bad taste of the brand first. The product will follow ......maybe.
I will see if I can have more fresh new o_O

very informative Daniele... thank you

EstherWeis

Vendor
Interesting point there.
Of all the Borsalino hats I've had my hands on here in Europe I found them ridiculously overpriced and badly made.
Even the stores are messy and the hats are in heaps on the shelves.
Very disappointing.

If I look at the borsa's here it's incredible, they look amazing.
Moon's bashing was impressive, that center dent went in like butter.

I wonder why that is...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Some higher end European hat stores will request / stock similar quality Borsalinos but probably not in this style. Daniele just visited Cappelleria Melegari in Milan so he will probably chime in. Borsalino is producing their own felt but they are also sourcing from FEPSA so that also has to me taken into consideration.

Most of the hat stores I visit in Germany and Austria are very nice. The styles they stock are not going to match the tastes of most of the FL but the shops in general are nicer (and more of them per capita) than what we have here in America. This is my friend Herbert Jennissen's new shop location (Hut Neubarth 1800) Augsburg as an example.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26044488@N04/albums/72157664998415950

By the way he has some old hat stands from the Borsalino factory! The hats on the stand are NOS from the 1960s and earlier.

25559018986_8a8e5eefe9_b.jpg

Last edited:

Kevlar

New in Town
Gideon hat.JPG

Actually, I put this ensemble together on Monday, when I converted to Judaism. Wore my Borsalino (Film model), which perfectly complemented my navy pinstriped suit, pink shirt and Madras bowtie. The black Borsalino is fairly new, purchased from the JJ Hatter catalog by my Dad around 2010. Not cheap, as I recall. I inherited it after he passed away in late 2011. I save it for dressy occasions. It is one of many hats that ended up with me, including a beautiful Stetson Panama that I had bought for him from Batsakes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy