Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Another bronzo in velour felt to add to the metal color survey.

050317_2.jpg
Another great one, Alan. These special finishes always have something extra about them. Oh, and a belated happy birthday!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It is difficult to talk about this Borsalino because it is my taste problem
2n15qpf.jpg

The production is post-transfer from Alessandria to Spinetta-Marengo, so it is a "modern" Borsalino with glued lining
15pqwlw.jpg

Is completely new and never worn
2lxf7lh.jpg

It has a fantastic color and finishes as well
290r1bt.jpg

The felt is of premium quality, dense and finished with embossed hair
4qn51s.jpg

The color is "butter" for me, a number for Borsalino
Dimensions are: bounded brim at 7 cm., crown at 11 cm.
jra8mh.jpg

All in all, except that the Borsalino script on the bow is tacky in a so beautiful hat
I never wore it for this reason

Then I ask you to say your opinion: do I change the ribbon with the same color or keep this writing synonymous of lack of taste?

Then I ask you to say your opinion: do I change the ribbon with the same color or keep this writing synonymous of lack of taste?

If it's affecting the wearability of it for you, take it off. You could keep the ribbon/bow, but swap out the knot. Maybe with a light blue for a touch of contrast?

Another thought: take the knot off, turn it around and put it back on, hiding the logo. QED.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

It is difficult to talk about this Borsalino because it is my taste problem
2n15qpf.jpg

The production is post-transfer from Alessandria to Spinetta-Marengo, so it is a "modern" Borsalino with glued lining
15pqwlw.jpg

Is completely new and never worn
2lxf7lh.jpg

It has a fantastic color and finishes as well
290r1bt.jpg

The felt is of premium quality, dense and finished with embossed hair
4qn51s.jpg

The color is "butter" for me, a number for Borsalino
Dimensions are: bounded brim at 7 cm., crown at 11 cm.
jra8mh.jpg

All in all, except that the Borsalino script on the bow is tacky in a so beautiful hat
I never wore it for this reason

I can see your problem here with this hat, Daniele. However well crafted it may be, it just isn't you. I once had a similar problem with a Borsalino, also light coloured (though not as light as this) and I never wore it because of it. I decided to sell it off in the end. I think it might have to do with the colour combination, where a constrasting, dark ribbon would be perfectly allright, a ribbon like this one comes across as, well... more feminine in feel. Even changing the ribbon might not work, because the felt is also a soft colour. Sometimes it isn't meant to be.

I can see your problem here with this hat, Daniele. However well crafted it may be, it just isn't you. I once had a similar problem with a Borsalino, also light coloured (though not as light as this) and I never wore it because of it. I decided to sell it off in the end. I think it might have to do with the colour combination, where a constrasting, dark ribbon would be perfectly allright, a ribbon like this one comes across as, well... more feminine in feel. Even changing the ribbon might not work, because the felt is also a soft colour. Sometimes it isn't meant to be.
+1 It is a snazzy looking hat, but my eyes go to that knot with Borsalino on it. It would look cool with a contrasting ribbon in a light blue maybe. Or how about a bright pink?

Today is the day I can officially join the Brotherhood. Through the generosity of Daniele. The Borsalino Qualità Victoria c1975 may not be a show stopper vintage 50s Borsalino, but I'm happy. It will be one of many I'm sure. Size 58, but quite snug out of the box. This is a NOS never worn example. It has exceptional felt, very clay like. The era this one is made is before the downfall of Borsalino quality. Interesting liner logo in Red/White/Blue for a non-export hat. The Borsalino Logo on the sweat is also different, not the usual Antica Casa words. More research and help from Daniele will be required. The hat and I are still in negotiation about the crease, but for now it is asking for a center dent with pinches, like we see on Daniele's hats. Maybe it knows...

Borsalino top side.jpg
3May17 Borsalino side.jpg
Borsalino Liner tip.jpg
Borsalino Logo Sweat.jpg
Borsalino Store Logo.jpg

does this look like a quality hat & how much do you think i might pay for it?

View attachment 73699 View attachment 73700
It's an Echter Borsalino so made for the German market. As you get into the later 1950s you will see Echter Borsalino + Export Qualität. This hat appears to have just Echter Bosalino. Can you get a photo of the paper label? In the early 1960s Echter is dropped from in front of Borsalino and Export Qualität remains. This is the case until the original factory closes in the early 1980s.

German Market Borsalinos

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It's an Echter Borsalino so made for the German market. As you get into the later 1950s you will see Echter Borsalino + Export Qualität. This hat appears to have just Echter Bosalino. Can you get a photo of the paper label? In the early 1960s Echter is dropped from in front of Borsalino and Export Qualität remains. This is the case until the original factory closes in the early 1980s.

German Market Borsalinos

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/
you are a treasure Steve

how old? Does €70 sound reasonable?
I have a modest collection of Borsalinos but have to admit I know little of determining their age. I just buy them if I like them.
I have two in grey, very good to excellent condition supposedly from the 1940's. One an Ebay the other an Etsy I paid $135 for one and 140 for the other. So that 70 Euro price to me looks good as it looks roughly like my two. I have others, more distinctive in colour and style that I paid more for, upwards of $200 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner