Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Borsalino without any indication of quality
fmsavn.jpg

Produced in the last years of life of the historic Borsalino factory in Alessandria
fbjacy.jpg

The lining is sewn, but as always I have some doubt about the production dates between the two management, the historic one and the new one that accompanied Borsalino's production for twenty years
34sh3fc.jpg

The paper label is from that period
250sg2x.jpg

The heather hat felt has an indefinite color between the light brown and a bit of gray
9fvd5v.jpg

It is referred to as the Borsalino "Magma" color type
69ord1.jpg

while the ribbon has a color called "Talpa" and combines perfectly with the felt
The felt changing shades to any different light.
257nof6.jpg

The proportions are: 6 cm. overwelted brim and the crown is 11 cm.
2epn09h.jpg
Daniele, Fantastic! The colors and finish are great. I have old Mayser Velour that is Talpa (European Mole) color.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/page-4#entry631

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, looks like a great hat. The model reminds me of my Augusta Gris Fer I posted in the metal theme sequence of hats recently. A longhair in heather: what's not to like?

Stefan, you wrote that you are very interested in the heather felts and I try to settle for you.
I'm sorry to tell you it's a measure 59 (6 for Borsalino that uses the old French measurement for sizes)
This Borsalino is the brother of Augusta Gris Fer (Grigio Ferro) you posted

Daniele, Fantastic! The colors and finish are great. I have old Mayser Velour that is Talpa (European Mole) color.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/page-4#entry631

Steve, this afternoon as I wrote about Borsalino, I had for five minutes a memory of the "mole color" I could not identify, now I understand what was buzzing in my head

Thanks to all for the appreciation

Fantastic find! I can't recall seeing an older American market Borsalino posted here. Does it have a paper label behind the sweatband? If it does it would be great to compare it to older European market Borsalinos. It looks like there could have been a crown patch from the photo and the inside appears finished. The sweatband cord is most likely not original.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Fantastic find! I can't recall seeing an older American market Borsalino posted here. Does it have a paper label behind the sweatband? If it does it would be great to compare it to older European market Borsalinos. It looks like there could have been a crown patch from the photo and the inside appears finished. The sweatband cord is most likely not original.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I was thrilled when I flipped this hat over and seen it was a unique Borsalino. Couldn't walk away from it.

The seller was a dealer of military antiques and not Borsalinos haha. He insisted it was 1880-1900 but who knows..I looked up "George A. Place" and came up with two Concord New Hampshire directories from 1918 and 1919 with this info:

image.jpeg

The stitching is super fragile. The sweatband is detached in a couple spots, however I was very careful enough to snap this image. Anything that a professional can do to savage or secure it? Notice that the model number "11055" matches the number on the sweatband sticker.

image.jpeg

Part of me wants to preserve it, and part wants to wear it and what ever happens, happens. Too cool not to be worn.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the photo. Here is a date stamped May 17, 1929 Echter Borsalino.

17203713027_817844bccd_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1153

I have 3 Echter Borsalinos from the late 1920s (sweatband date stamped) and they all have similar label form and hand written sizes but no corrugated vent. I have no idea how far back the corrugated vents go. I am positive your hat is at least early 1930s maybe older.

I also checked this old Italian market Borsalino Stiff Felt and it also has a hand written size but I don't have a photo of the label but I will get one tomorrow.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-bowler-or-derby-hat.32818/page-53#post-1570999

I think it will very difficult to reattach the sweatband because the stitching method and the thread being so fine. You can probably see it better on the Echter Borsalino I posted above (see link). There is also another one below it in the thread.

Last edited:

Tonio

A-List Customer
Thank you for posting the photo. Here is a date stamped May 17, 1929 Echter Borsalino.

17203713027_817844bccd_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1153

I have 3 Echter Borsalinos from the late 1920s (sweatband date stamped) and they all have hand written sizes but no corrugated vent. I have no idea how far back the corrugated vents go. I am positive your hat is at least early 1930s maybe older.

I also checked this old Italian market Borsalino Stiff Felt and it also has a hand written size but I don't have a photo of the label but I will get one tomorrow.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-bowler-or-derby-hat.32818/page-53#post-1570999

I think it will very difficult to reattach the sweatband because the stitching method and the thread being so fine. You can probably see it better on the Echter Borsalino I posted above (see link). There is also another one below it in the thread.

Very informative as always. Thank you!

Here is the paper label from the old Italian market G. & Fllo Borsalino Qualita Extra-Extra Superiore Bowler (link posted above and below) which also has the size written but the format is slightly different (the bottom second box is offset to the right and paper label has a longer length & shorter width). The box has a shipping date stamp of 3/31/31.

34465593561_a9154e6361_b.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-146#post-1570985

With European Borsalinos a separate printed size label is added sometime in the 1930s and the format of the label changes (there a few examples here on the FL). I haven't seen an American market Borsalino with the separate size label but one might eventually materialize. This is an Echter Borsalino of mine with the separate printed size label.

4576034246_d465d0443f_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/#entry252

I'm inclined to think that the more writing there is on the label the older it is. So the progression would be: handwritten numbers, colour, model and size: oldest. Next stamped numbers but written colour, model and size: less old. After that stamped numbers, colour, model and only written size, even less old. From there on: stamped numbers, colour, model and a separate size sticker. And finally everything stamped on the label. But it is Borsalino: I may be thinking too logical.

borsalino lobbia_12.jpg

I'm inclined to think that the more writing there is on the label the older it is. So the progression would be: handwritten numbers, colour, model and size: oldest. Next stamped numbers but written colour, model and size: less old. After that stamped numbers, colour, model and only written size, even less old. From there on: stamped numbers, colour, model and a separate size sticker. And finally everything stamped on the label. But it is Borsalino: I may be thinking too logical.

View attachment 74307
The box format of this one is the same as my G. & Fllo Borsalino Qualita Extra-Extra Superiore Bowler. It appears the older ones have a similar looking label with different lower box offset. Also the paper is placed at the same place where liners are present (also liner seams are similar). My 3 Echter Borsalinos have 1929 date stamps on the sweatbands so that gives some clue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner